The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default My Fitness Pal Users - HELP!! Horse-Related

I clean 10 stalls twice a week and want to enter the activity into my profile, but there isn't an exercise category for barn cleaning. Go figure...

Anyway, I found "raking yard" and "gardening" but I think cleaning stalls is a little bit more strenuous with the amount of lifting and dumping 100# muck buckets into the mule when they are full.

Got any ideas how to enter this activity?

(As an aside, they do have categories for horseback riding!)

lots of people use HRM to calculate calories burned for things like stall mucking and such. I would log is has raking or doing yard work, since lifting weights are not logged as cardio (your building muscle and muscle burns fat for 24 hrs vs cardio which burns fat while doing the activity)

Remember, MFP is very generous with their calories burned, most users only eat back half of what they burned from exercise.

Hope this helps.

Friend me if you like (onawho)

You could probably use "raking" as a substitute, but keep in mind that MFP seems to heavily over estimate the calories burned for all activities.

You may want to consider purchasing a heart rate monitor with a chest strap and wearing that while you work for the most accurate numbers. I have a Polar FT4, which is wonderful. You can find them online for around $60.

http://penncycle.com/product/polar-f...le-70332-1.htm

I'm skylark94 on MFP.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

Jinx Curb Appeal you cant post till I say your name......Curb Appeal

MFP user here - Yes, they do have 3 catagories for Horseback riding - I tend to use the "horseback riding - general" catagory, but only log the actual time spent trotting, cantering or jumping.... not sitting on my horse's back while talking & not trail-walking. ( that's just the way I chose to log my cardio)

I have added my own catagory to the cardio exercises of "cleaning stalls" 30 min = 120 calories burnt. I chose that cal burn level because you can see raking leaves already in cardio exercises at that burn level. Yes, I clean 5 stalls daily, BUT I usually only add it to cardio on the weekends, when I have NOT done any other cardio. I too, do believe, your body begins to ignore your 30 minutes (or whatever #) of stall cleaning because you do it EVERY DAY & the body gets used to it....so I don't count THAT as cardio.

For heavy liffting, like unloading a truckload of hay by myself, I will use the cardio that is already in the MFP list of exercises - it says Strength Training (weight lifting/heavy lifting), I think it is 60 min = 242 calories burnt. Since I don't buck hay but once a month or so, I consider that "above & beyond" my daily chores & I do add it into my exercise log.

Everyone is different, & imho, if your barn chores are difficult enough that it makes you sweat, then I would add it into your MFP exercise log. Do what works for you. Hope that helps ya out....

J
    ‎"Luck favors the prepared, darling." ~~ Edna Mode

Thanks for all the replies. Very helpful!

I guess because I only clean stalls on the weekends (weekend manager), and sit behind a desk the rest of the week, I HOPE my body considers it exercise! I know it's not enough for the entire week, though, so I am also walking and lifting weights (besides hay bales)!

I did wear my pedometer a few times and logged in between 6000-8000 steps over the course of the day. I might also check into a HRM.

I'm bluemooncowgirl on there, as well. Going to friend y'all now!

I'm LovelyBay on there too if anyone wants to friend me!
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products

Quote Originally Posted by LovelyBay View Post
    I'm LovelyBay on there too if anyone wants to friend me!
    Done!
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

Im Tiffany572