The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Replacing Ariat half chap zipper

Mine jammed today and I stopped at a shoe/leather repair shop for help getting out of it. He advised me not to trust it again (the teeth were sticking up) and recommended replacing the zipper. He showed me what he uses in tall boots, a coil-type, whatever that means, and it would be about $30 for one chap. Does that sound like a good deal?

The chaps are the All-Around suede type, OK everywhere except for the zip, at least 7 yrs. old. I know Ariat zippers have a bad reputation, yet they look so sturdy. Replacing the chaps would be about $100, so $30 is a steal.

My last pair of Ariat chaps were thrown away after the stopper at the bottom of the zipper fell off and was lost. Never thought of replacing the zipper then.

That sounds like a decent price, and the coil zippers are much more reliable than toothed zippers, as there are no teeth to break.

I had a broken-toothed zipper on a Mtn Horse winter tall boot replaced with a coil zipper, and liked it so much that I had the other, perfectly serviceable zipper replaced too. My shoe repair guy charged $20/zipper, but he has a reputation for being ridiculously inexpensive.

Thanks. I wasn't sure how much better a coil zipper would be but you explained it well.

I zipped up the chap last night and it was fine (off my leg, just in case) so I'll be careful with it until it happens again. Then I won't hesitate to replace it.

If you're just wearing the half chaps to ride and your arena isn't terribly dusty, try keeping the zipper lubricated-- just running a Chapstick over the teeth works.