The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Possibly looking for a new dog...where to start?

I had started looking for dogs online a while ago. I found a aussie pup I thought would be a good fit, he was farm raised, used to horses, no chasing chickens, cats, other animals, etc. But he had already been adopted. Then I realized I hadn't really thought things through anyway, and it might be a good idea to figure out what I actually want.

So now I'm wondering where to really begin, what breeds to look for, etc.

I want a dog that is med to high energy. I like to be active, so the dog would have to be ok with hiking, bike rides, and possibly try agility!

Med to large size. I don't like small dogs, anything under 35 lb full grown will be too small.

People oriented, a dog that likes you, and likes working for you.

A good farm dog-a dog that can go off leash without keeping a constant eye on him, trainable enough that he's not going to be nipping at horses, chasing cats, or eating chickens.

A big bark-I'm alone at the farm a lot, it would be nice to have a dog that seems intimidating and has a big bark...even if they're a complete love bug.

Not a big shedder-I live with my parents, and my mom is allergic to dogs (although she has gone through allergy shots and *should* be ok with a shedding dog). Basically, if you can brush a pile of hair off the dog, he sheds too much.

So what breeds do I look for?

Oh, I should mention that I grew up around dogs and have experience training. I'm not going to let a dog get away with begging or other trying to walk all over me. That being said, I'm not sure I would be up to training a dog that will be constantly testing, pushing, etc. We have 2 other dogs, both around 25 lb. Our younger one is the sweetest thing ever, will get along with ANY dog. Our older guy, not so much, he is a grump, but is generally seems to be "if you leave me alone, I'll leave you alone." I'm not too worried about him getting along either.

So suggestions please!
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

Default right up until

I was going with Aussie's right up until you said not much of a shedder. Love my Aussie's but they do shed a lot. How about a rough coat collie?
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Holly Jeanne View Post
    I was going with Aussie's right up until you said not much of a shedder. Love my Aussie's but they do shed a lot. How about a rough coat collie?
    Do you mean to say a *smooth* coated collie? A rough is going to dump a ton of hair!

Perhaps an Australian Cattle Dog?

Default Oops!

I had a collie growing up but I still always get those two confused.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

my Heeler mix shedded like crazy that undercoat was terrible, if you want crazy high energy get a German Shorthaired Pointer our pup is like the energizer bunny and he is one smart cookie, breed standard has them between 55-70 lbs, they do have a strong hunting instinct but can be trained to be good around cats etc but it takes consistent training

now our Dobe is older 4-5 and we got her as an adult she has energy and wants to be with us but doesn't have the same hunting drive as the GSP pup and she has the same lovely short coat, she has a docked tail and natural ears but still looks very much like a Dobe and the look enought is to make most ppl avoid even if she is a doll and loves attention

Go to petfinder, search by your zip code and your dream dog's size (I'm guessing medium and large, maybe extra-large), and see what comes up; you might find some good ideas, and almost certainly some great dogs!

www.petfinder.org

we got our Dobe off of PetFinder

Please do rescue! Petfinder is a great resource.

German Shorthair pointers are lovely. Doberman is a really good suggestion (lots of rescue groups, too.)
    You could consider a standard poodle or labradoodle. Would hit all your criteria. Standards aren't all that common in rescue, but you can actually get a labradoodle these days via rescue (nice dogs lost their homes due to economy, etc.)

Oh, perhaps a Weimaraner or a Vizsla? We looked at both when we wanted a largeish short haired dog. Both got knocked off the list since they are very go-go-go.

I used to show smooth collies, and they were d-u-m-b. Sweet, though! Perhaps a performance bred one would be a bit brighter

we looked in to Vizslas before we decided on the German Shorthaired, most Vizsla people describe them as velcro dogs they loooove their people and are also very high energy

Standard Poodles are great dogs but I just could not handle the idea of keeping up with clipping that hair to keep the neat

Just for giggles, I googled some "what breed is right for me" tests. I keep getting GSPs! They are, apparently, the perfect dog for me

I can't get my chosen breed (Ridgebacks) to pop up at all. Perhaps they're not even a possibility, due to their difficult puppyhood characteristics. Snort.

SAcres, here are a couple. They might recommend some breeds that you've not considered!

Animal Planet

DogTime

Actually, my experience with collies as a groomer is that the smooth coats shed more day to day, but the rough coats shed more overall. The rough coats tend to have such a dense coat that they actually don't lose all that much hair - you'll have to brush them because the coats are so dense the hair can't drop off. The smooths obviously don't have as dense of a coat and it allows the hairs to shed off without nearly as much brushing. I'm not sure I'd pick either if someone has allergies.

If you don't mind grooming a dog, I'd go with something like a standard poodle or Portuguese water dog. If you just do a one length all over cut on a poodle, its really not that difficult to make look half way decent if you don't want to pay someone to do it if you're willing to invest in the right tools up front.

I have a miniature poodle (too small for what you want), but when he's not in show coat, I keep his body 1/4" long and his legs about an inch long. I really only groom him about once a month with a bath once a week or so. I had to bathe my old Border collie that often too though because they just get gross playing out on the farm. My mom, who is horribly allergic to dogs to the point that she couldn't even come in my house for 10 minutes before my old Border collie died, gets her poodle groomed every 6 weeks and doesn't touch her in between, but lives in suburbia and the dog isn't outside that much.

Poodles are extremely friendly, but can be taught to make a fair amount of noise. Even my mini has a pretty intimidating bark (okay...until you see him...). He's not obnoxious, only barks when appropriate like when someone's at the door or he notices someone who he thinks shouldn't be on the farm. He does have an off button though. As soon as I tell him 'quiet', he stops.

You don't have to cut them so they look goofy. This is my boy when he's not in show coat:
    This is what he looked like last summer:
    http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...ylaratlake.jpg
    This is what he looks like now in show coat:
    http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...ylaratwork.jpg
    I can't wait until he's finished and I can shave him down again!

Poodles are extremely athletic. Once my guy finishes in the conformation ring, I'm going to start working on getting him titled in agility.

He goes everywhere with me. He loves camping with me for endurance rides and is a great little farm dog. He's learned the boundaries and for the most part stays home. If our neighbor is out, he'll sometimes go over to visit with him, but he never goes farther than that.

Other breeds would be boxers, possibly a giant schnauzer (you will have to groom them also and may have to keep a closer eye on them as they are a terrier breed), doby's can be good dogs, but can be tough to get an apartment with later on. I wouldn't get anything with a double coat (like labs, Goldens, etc.) if your mom has allergies. I'd stick to something with hair like a poodle or something like a boxer with just a single coat.

Quote Originally Posted by candysgirl View Post
    You don't have to cut them so they look goofy. This is my boy when he's not in show coat:
    This is what he looked like last summer:
    http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...ylaratlake.jpg
    This is what he looks like now in show coat:
    http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...ylaratwork.jpg
    I can't wait until he's finished and I can shave him down again!
    He is lovely! So nice to see a good Poodle.

Well I'm definitely looking to adopt...not buy. One of our 2 dogs is a pet shop puppy and although I love him dearly, I vowed never to do the petshop thing myself. My mother calls him a "rescue" because he looked so pathetic in the puppy pen, but still.

A friend of mine has a Vizsla and she is lovely. But she is also definitely a velcro dog, as in, she is constantly getting tripped over. I love her to death, but my parents don't. I know they tend to all be velcro dogs (at least from what I've read) so a Vizsla is out. Plus I have no idea how I would find one in a shelter.

I haven't really checked into Weimaraners, maybe I should. They're beautiful dogs!

No to a Dobe, bad experiences with health issues with my cousins Dobes. While that wouldn't stop me from getting a Dobe, it would stop my parents, and unfortunately I still live with them (in college) so no go for Dobes.

Also hadn't really considered a Pointer. I know they're very high energy, but I've met a few and loove them. How are they in off leash settings in general?

I'm a big fan of poodles. My 2 dogs are actually Cockapoos so I have some experience with them. Our one dog is a complete genius, we got him at a year old and it took him all of a week to learn sit, down, stay, go away, come, heel, paw, speak, quiet, play dead, etc. A VERY smart boy! Our other one is the dumbest thing ever. Ugh. Sweet, but dumb.
    Anyway, a standard poodle would be perfect, especially because they don't shed. But finding one in a shelter would be difficult.

Not sure how I feel about anything Doodle, I cringe a little for some reason.

Oh, I took those quizzes! My results:

from animal planet:
    1) standard poodle
    2) american cocker spaniel
    3) english cocker spaniel
    4) polish lowland sheepdog
    5) bearded collie
    6) boarder collie
    7) golden retriever

From Dogtime:

1) Anatolian
    2) black russian terrier
    3) Dobe
    4) great dane
    5) greater swiss mountain dog

^^that quiz has some odd results. Anatolian...really?
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    He is lovely! So nice to see a good Poodle.
    Thank you! A good friend of mine bred him. He's the 3rd generation she's bred so far and each one just keeps getting better! I love all her dogs and when my old Border collie was going downhill last year just as my favorite bitch of her's was having a litter, I told her if she got a dark boy, he's mine! JJ had 2 cream boys, a cream girl and finally a HUGE blue boy that promptly got nicknamed "Sumo". His registered name is Serenade's Made to Order.

I love that she breeds for the bigger bodied, older style dogs instead of the slightly more "fashionable" dainty, more extreme things that are a little more popular in the show ring. My boy is a perfect little farm dog. He's got enough bone that he can take some knocks without breaking, unlike a lot of the show poodles today.

If you're not looking to go to a breeder, I'd go to petfinder and look at what's close to you, rather than starting off by looking for specific breed. Keep in mind the characteristics that you're looking for and breed tendencies, but look at the dog in front of you first.

Candy'sgirl, lovely poodle.

As for big bark, my two Standards have the UPS guy scared to come up the walk, so the bigger poodles can be scary. (And yes, I am working on them being a bit less ferocious). Once they meet you, they are wonderful and friendlly. On is well bred, and the other is from a puppy mill via rescue. I am playing at agility with both of them.

I keep them both shaved down, and they are easy to keep fairly clean (one is white, the other is apricot, so any dirt really shows).

We have the poodles because of allergies. No shedding is great.

Quote Originally Posted by SAcres View Post
    Well I'm definitely looking to adopt...not buy. One of our 2 dogs is a pet shop puppy and although I love him dearly, I vowed never to do the petshop thing myself. My mother calls him a "rescue" because he looked so pathetic in the puppy pen, but still.

A friend of mine has a Vizsla and she is lovely. But she is also definitely a velcro dog, as in, she is constantly getting tripped over. I love her to death, but my parents don't. I know they tend to all be velcro dogs (at least from what I've read) so a Vizsla is out. Plus I have no idea how I would find one in a shelter.

I haven't really checked into Weimaraners, maybe I should. They're beautiful dogs!

No to a Dobe, bad experiences with health issues with my cousins Dobes. While that wouldn't stop me from getting a Dobe, it would stop my parents, and unfortunately I still live with them (in college) so no go for Dobes.

Also hadn't really considered a Pointer. I know they're very high energy, but I've met a few and loove them. How are they in off leash settings in general?

I'm a big fan of poodles. My 2 dogs are actually Cockapoos so I have some experience with them. Our one dog is a complete genius, we got him at a year old and it took him all of a week to learn sit, down, stay, go away, come, heel, paw, speak, quiet, play dead, etc. A VERY smart boy! Our other one is the dumbest thing ever. Ugh. Sweet, but dumb.
    Anyway, a standard poodle would be perfect, especially because they don't shed. But finding one in a shelter would be difficult.

Not sure how I feel about anything Doodle, I cringe a little for some reason.

Oh, I took those quizzes! My results:

from animal planet:
    1) standard poodle
    2) american cocker spaniel
    3) english cocker spaniel
    4) polish lowland sheepdog
    5) bearded collie
    6) boarder collie
    7) golden retriever

From Dogtime:

1) Anatolian
    2) black russian terrier
    3) Dobe
    4) great dane
    5) greater swiss mountain dog

^^that quiz has some odd results. Anatolian...really?

I could find you a ton of standard poodles in rescues! There are 4 just in one rescue in Indy. Looking for "standard poodle" 'anywhere' on Petfinder got me 136 dogs. Granted, some of them are mixes, but surely there's a standard poodle in a rescue near you.

Most of the standards aren't in general population shelers. The poodle breed specific rescues tend to pull them from shelters within a day or two of them arriving. Poodle people tend to be pretty protective of them and watch shelters pretty closely.

Click on your state and there should be contact info for
    http://www.poodleclubofamerica.org/pcarf.htm
    The Indy poodle rescue group has a LOVELY red male puppy right now. *I don't need another dog...* *I don't need another dog...* *I don't need another dog...*

As for doodles, they're hit or miss. I'd never go to a breeder and get a doodle puppy. However, a couple of my favorite groom dogs are doodles and are absolutely lovely dogs. If you're adopting an older puppy or adult, you'd know what you're getting both temperament and coat wise. Temperaments run the gamut of everything from total nutjob brainless crack heads (doodles are also one of my LEAST favorite things to groom!) to absolutely lovely ones that take more of the poodle characteristics. The downside is that the majority of them get all the bad traits of both breeds stuck into one huge, brainless hyperactive dog. However, an older puppy or adult, you'd be able to tell what you're getting and decide on an individual basis.

The other thing is, some of them have awesome coats and some have a bizarre almost terrier like coat that sheds like mad. Even the ones that have a more poodley coat are generally still an odd texture that tends to mat VERY easily. Others still have really nice, poodle coats that are fairly easy to take care of.

FWIW, in my experience, most Weims are completely loons. One of my clients does rescue for them and 99% of the dogs she brings in are total whackadoodles. Her personal Weim is an awesome dog, but only because he's 7 years old and she says it took her 4 years to get him to act like he's got a brain.

Pointers CAN be good dogs, but they're going to be a tougher one to train for off leash stuff. They're a hunting breed typically bred for a really high prey drive and that can take over pretty easily. The good ones I know of all came from hunting lines and went to hunting dog boot camps for a few months when they were around a year old. They're fantastic dogs, but I know it took a fair amount of work/time/money to get them there. Its clearly possible, but I'm not sure they're what you're looking for.

I'd say temperament wise, you'd like a collie, Border collie, or Golden. However, if your mother is allergic, I'm not sure they're a good choice. My mother could barely tolerate my BC being shut in her basement when I'd go visit them for a weekend allergies wise.

I love Danes, I just take issue with a dog that has that short of a lifespan. Not for me. Also, what happens when the dog gets old and/or sick and I have to get it into a car to a vet by myself. I'm pretty strong, but no way I could get a huge Dane into a car without help.

I hate American cockers. I groom a lot of them and they are generally really gross, smelly dogs with a LOT of health issues. Even the well taken care of ones are gross and smelly. Most wind up with chronic ear infections. I'm not sure what went wrong, but I've seen exactly ONE good American cocker in all the ones that come through the shop. Oh, they're also usually really snappy. Yay!

The English cockers aren't nearly as bad, but you're not likely to find one in a shelter either.

Swissies are neat dogs, but not a good choice coat wise for your mom.

I...would pretty much like to duplicate everything candysgirl said, come hell or high water! Ditto to all that.

Quote Originally Posted by IFG View Post
    Candy'sgirl, lovely poodle.

As for big bark, my two Standards have the UPS guy scared to come up the walk, so the bigger poodles can be scary. (And yes, I am working on them being a bit less ferocious). Once they meet you, they are wonderful and friendlly. On is well bred, and the other is from a puppy mill via rescue. I am playing at agility with both of them.

I keep them both shaved down, and they are easy to keep fairly clean (one is white, the other is apricot, so any dirt really shows).

We have the poodles because of allergies. No shedding is great.
    Thanks!

The no shedding is a big part of why I went for a poodle this time. I vacuumed twice a day with my Border collie and there was STILL always hair everywhere. Now? Once or twice a week at the most. Its awesome!