The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

MOMIOMI1--Have you been drinking? We are here to help. A superbowl preprep?

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    MOMIOMI1--Have you been drinking? We are here to help. A superbowl preprep?
    Goodness! I went ear cover shopping because I finally decided on a color and the mosquitoes are already horrible and for some reason I posted like that lol
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Desi says dressage people just take themselves too seriously sometimes.

http://youtu.be/CXxSTjT1uxg

Larkspur!!! What ARE you doing? Stirring up trouble? You're going to start that whole pink tongue thing again! That is clearly from hyperflexion damage that caused the tongue to let go, now it won't go back in again. For shame. This was supposed to be the good in dressage.

I think any kind of internet - and thus basically anonymous - forum can tend to negativity. People often thrive on it. I mean, I've definitely gotten a kick out of drama and stuff before... But life's too short to see only the bad things in it and to lose time with something like misery addiction!

It helps me a lot, though, to hear about some of the critique because I am very interested in training my eye and learning about what are current trends in a sport I love. Some stuff I like, some stuff I don't. Some horses I like, some I don't. Same with riders. I think it's crucial to be nice to each other.

And dressage... absolutely love it! I love that it's both cerebral and physical. It teaches me about balance and lightness and harmony and good posture. I've seen horses improve a lot with the proper dressage training. I'm hooked and I won't be giving up any time soon!

Quote Originally Posted by LaMissV View Post
    It helps me a lot, though, to hear about some of the critique because I am very interested in training my eye and learning about what are current trends in a sport I love. Some stuff I like, some stuff I don't. Some horses I like, some I don't. Same with riders. I think it's crucial to be nice to each other.
    This is why I don't mind the negativity. I get enough optimism elsewhere everywhere that I don't mind some of the negativity here (only assuming it is respectful!) because it is the result of critiques and discussion, which are important to learning and training our eyes Of course positive threads such as this one and many others are great for balance.
    ....horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

This video has lots of other sports mixed into the clips but the general 'feel' is why I do what I do. And it makes me tear up every time I watch it from wanting to improve both myself and the horses. I'm a sap that way.

But to be negative or nasty towards others who are trying to make the same progress and improvements is unnecessary. It takes effort to offer constructive criticism but it can be done in a polite manner.

For instance -

"Your horse needs more forward energy and relaxation." instead of "He's missing tracking up by a foot and going around like a banana."

All in the delivery...

I love dressage. Most of the time.. except for last month when in three days I went from schooling PSG to "I cannot canter. Not three strides. Horse quits."

As we all know things can get worse before better. That also happened. Trainer took apart my seat/hands/legs/head and put them back together. Now we are back to business. Loving the process again. Edited to add: This little set back did cost a bit of time and $$$! Oh well.

I find it interesting that much of the critiquing of the amateur rider activities - seat, horse selection etc - tends to be politely said. Negativitiy seems related to the slicing and dicing of the Big Names, International Riders and horses, training techniques. A little drama now and then can be entertaining. Other stuff I ignore. We can all make choices about what we absorb and participate in.

The drama can be entertaining, and this forum wouldn't be nearly as much fun to visit if we were ALL hearts and flowers ALL the time. I visit one like that, and frankly, it's a boring place full of bleeding heart hand-wringers.

Hey, 2tempe, been there, done that. Some days you eats the bear, some days the bear eats you!

The process of dressage is endlessly fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    Larkspur!!! What ARE you doing? Stirring up trouble? You're going to start that whole pink tongue thing again! That is clearly from hyperflexion damage that caused the tongue to let go, now it won't go back in again. For shame. This was supposed to be the good in dressage.
    Yes. And let that be a lesson to all of you!

(I guess you remember this thread?)

Quote Originally Posted by Tasker View Post
    This video has lots of other sports mixed into the clips but the general 'feel' is why I do what I do. And it makes me tear up every time I watch it from wanting to improve both myself and the horses. I'm a sap that way.

But to be negative or nasty towards others who are trying to make the same progress and improvements is unnecessary. It takes effort to offer constructive criticism but it can be done in a polite manner.

For instance -

"Your horse needs more forward energy and relaxation." instead of "He's missing tracking up by a foot and going around like a banana."

All in the delivery...
    I got all misty eyed too! Shared on my FB

Its our community too... We are a whole little world within itself... Without the negativity Ive met friends through the horses that will FOREVER be awesome friends of mine
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

What I really love about dressage is that it suits my personality, sometimes to a fault if I let myself get hung up on the imperfections. And there is always something to improve. But, riding is the only time I truly have to myself where I am totally focused and not thinking about anything other than what I am doing in the moment.

I also love what it's done for my horse. She'll be 22 this summer, and we're hoping to get to Third at some point. It's kept her in excellent condition and sound, sound, sound. I am very grateful for that, and I love seeing the results of our hard work.

I love that even when the time comes to back her down, continuing to work correctly will keep her in shape and healthy. And I can continue on this dressage journey for the rest of my life. Pretty cool.
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

A Voice Halted

I love Dressage, too . Though i'm just a baby novice rider, I am so excited about all that i have to learn and the little bit i've been exposed to has been wonderful for my horse.

I love that in Dressage our horses are allowed to be "little." My 11 yr old appendix gelding is deemed "too old" by breed circuit riders. How can i explain that he's been raised slowly, in classical manner, is sound, healthy and HAPPY and has tons of great years of showing ahead?

I love that there is SO much to learn and master and hate that i have no idea how to go about sitting the trot .

Happy Saturday

I love that someone like Tasker has lived my horsey dream life, and yet is still posting on this thread about getting teary eyed from a kid's video on youtube. That's the beauty of dressage - even if you live it your whole life, it still touches you.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

North of the Frozen Tundra, but I can see it from my house.

I think the very negative people are few, but unfortunately they can dominate the conversation.

I think everyone else has already covered every reason I love dressage And 2tempe - I am currently in the midst of what you spoke of! It's frustrating at times, but I think today I've finally seen the light at the end of the tunnel (thank god lol). Dressage is addicting and I love the way it can make you feel when everything just clicks.

For the most part I like that the forum allows me to hear everyones point of view... Sometimes I don't agree with certain things, but that's ok - I can still read post and continue to learn!

To Piaffe11 and BeasMom: So very glad to know that I'm not alone! And there was never a doubt that it was rider vs horse/tack problem, as she cantered ever so nice for the trainer.
    And I will add that the taking apart and rebuilding was done on a lunge line. UGH I was ready to enter Intro A or B - the walk/trot test - at the next show!

This forum in general to me is informative, fun, awe-inspiring (Leena's thread) and sometimes ever so snarky. I don't entangle myself in those but even the reading can sometimes be entertaining.

Regarding dressage - I'm a goal oriented, measuring, mathmatical sort, so the best thing for me is the systematic process, the ease of measuring the progress, the detail in the test results. And NONE of those equal the feeling of a really good ride!

I'd love to say that I could quit at any time, but I fear I'm addicted. I spend more and more money on this sport chasing that elusive "perfect ride". I've added another horse to my personal stable. I don't even want to talk about the number of saddle fitting sessions I've engaged in over the years. Safe to say this habit seems ingrained.

It's days like yesterday, after a long work week that's done its best to kick my butt, that I really appreciate this sport. Sure, work was crappy. Sure, the weather sucks. But when I ride, I can't focus on all that. I can only focus on my horse and my position. It's ever so therapeutic.

In regards to arm-chair quarterbacking (or desk-chair riding?), it's easy to point out flaws. While I agree that not everything is sunshine and roses in the international rings, I don't tend to see the deterioration in the sport pervading even the local areas. Perhaps I'm just shortsighted.

I love dressage!

But can someone please explain to my horse that the point is NOT to do it as quickly as possible in order to get to XC and Jumping?!?!?!? :P
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com