The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Turbo Tax--married filing jointly vs separately

I have been all over the TT site, but can't find the answer to this question. Is there a way that you can prepare returns for both MFJ and MFS under the same profile, so you don't have to re-enter all the info? Or do you have to create a whole new profile and enter it all over again?

One of the great things about TT is that it remembers all your info and fills it in for you (like your info from the previous year's return). I'd prefer to not waste my time reentering all that stuff, especially because I am looking at MFS only to humor DH, who knows zero about taxes but thinks we could do better with MFS. I just want to get the fricking thing done.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Sing Mia Song View Post
    I have been all over the TT site, but can't find the answer to this question. Is there a way that you can prepare returns for both MFJ and MFS under the same profile, so you don't have to re-enter all the info? Or do you have to create a whole new profile and enter it all over again?

One of the great things about TT is that it remembers all your info and fills it in for you (like your info from the previous year's return). I'd prefer to not waste my time reentering all that stuff, especially because I am looking at MFS only to humor DH, who knows zero about taxes but thinks we could do better with MFS. I just want to get the fricking thing done.
    I have done that. I just call the file something else. DH and I just started filing jointly, so I wanted to see the difference. I can't remember if I had to input all the data again.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

I do that all the time, play with different ways of filing to find the lowest tax due. Just edit the file the way you want and save it with a different name. For filing separately, you probably will have to enter one spouse's info twice (once on the joint and once on a separate return), pick the one with the least stuff to enter . For the other, you just leave them on the joint, delete spouse 2's info and save it under a different file name.

The great thing is that Turbo Tax lets you file up to five federal returns with the same set of software, so you're covered either way. I can't believe that I did my own taxes manually for so long, when I could have used Turbo Tax or another software program and had a much easier time.

For those with a limited income you can go to irs.gov, click on free efiling, and do your state and federal taxes free.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Are you doing it online or with the purcahsed software? Online you need to pick one and complete the return, and once you get to review you can click back to personal information. Then you can change filing status to compare without having to reenter everything. If you don't like it, change it back. I will say, even with my DH owing QUITE a bit we still came out better to file jointly.

So, I'm thinking about trying something like this this year. Is it worth it? I'm not so good at this. I had someone doing it for about $125, then a local tax place that gave me that same rate instead of what they normally charge, about $300. Is it pretty easy to do for people who don't have a clue? I have a house, stocks, 403B, ROTH and such.

What is it costing you? Which way would you recommend, as I guess you can get a disc or just do it online?

Quote Originally Posted by AlterWife View Post
    Are you doing it online or with the purcahsed software? Online you need to pick one and complete the return, and once you get to review you can click back to personal information. Then you can change filing status to compare without having to reenter everything.
    Bless you, AlterWife. I was able to demonstrate to DH that we would pay through the nose if we filed separately. Whew!
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.