The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Wedding spinoff: The dress

Does anyone regret spending a lot of money on the dress?

I know people that spent well over $1000.00 on their dress and now later regret it as they have only wore it once.

I didn't spend tons on my dress $350. it was very smiple because I would have my tartan sash on and covering most of the top. The only thing that I kind of regret is not going with a color so I couild wear it again.

Show photos of your dress, if you want.

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._3314164_n.jpg

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...0_609754_n.jpg
    My life motto now is "You can't fix stupid!"

Are you going to cowboy up, or lie there and bleed

I don't regret it. Mine wasn't terribly expensive. Around 1k. It was comfortable, which was a biggie for me, as we got married at The Veneitan in Vegas and were dragged all over the hotel for professional photos. I didn't want to have something I couldn't dance in, or would weigh me down, or keep me from using the bathroom!

Interestingly enough, when Buddy Roo posted her wedding pictures not too long ago, I figured out we'd worn the same dress!

Father/daughter dance http://tinypic.com/r/xqfpg/5
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

I love wedding dresses, but not enough to blow a lot of money on one. I purchased mine at the end of the summer sale season, got a beautiful dress for $200 and the veil for $50. I had never seen a dress like it before, and have never seen another like it since, so I am wondering if the bride special ordered it and then returned it. The dress was white, the theme was daisies, with lots of lace, beading and running vines of appliqued daisies running throughout the dress, with lots of tiny covered buttons fastening the back and a chapel length train. The fingertip veil had a Juliet cap covered in the same daisies that then lined all of the edges of the veil. Easily worth much, much more than I paid for it. I still don't understand why it was even on the rack. But I loved it!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

I ended up with one that cost about 550, then spent a few hundred on accessories to go with it. I don't regret spending the money but then again my wedding is next week...

I will say I was very surprised at how my tomboy self unleashed the inner-princess at the bridal salon. Not like crazy bridezilla, but pouffy dress and tiara type of thing. In fact the dress I ended up with was one my best friend showed me online a few days before and I went ewww, no way, it's pouffy!

CB
    Freedom is the ability not to care what the other person thinks...

Got air?! Member of the Asthmatic Riders Clique

My maternal family has an heirloom wedding dress that's on generation number three.

It never occurred to me to buy a different one, but if my cousin hadn't pulled it out of storage I wouldn't have thought to use it myself either. DH and I got married in the courthouse and had a ceremony later that year, partly because it was the one event nobody (like my oh-too-busy FIL) could beg out of.

Grandma made it in 1944, from imported Chinese silk satin that was always a story in the family, as WWII made imported silk almost impossible to get, for my Aunt, and then in 1955 my mother wore it, and in 1972 my cousin wore it, 1982 I wore it and in 1996 or so my cousin's daughter wore it. Now it's hanging up waiting for my DD, with it's 20+ mother of pearl buttons and 1930ish styling.

I have no clue how much it cost originally but we've gotten every penny out of it, and the material is exquisite.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

My dress was $2500 but I don't regret it at all because it was beautiful and perfect for my body type!

$450 including alterations and the veil. I liked the dress when I first got it - then was destroyed by the alterations. At the time it never occurred to me to try and find another on before the wedding. I now wish I had. I would not want to spend tons of money, but I would've liked to have liked it better than I did.

It was also pre-breast reduction, so I think I probably thought there was no way that I would be able to find something off the rack that would work and there would've been no time to order one after the nightmare alterations.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

I thought I wanted $3500 raw silk ball gown, until I just happened to walk into bridal shop and see a strapless empire style with a silk belt with a rhinestone buckle. Never thought I would wear strapless, but I tried it on and LOVED it. Cost $1200 to buy the sample and all it needed was a hem. I made my veil with $5 worth of tulle and a rhinestone haircomb that my mom had worn to her prom
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Never spent more than $200 for either wedding dress.

The first, I lucked out. An incredible seamstress named Mollie Wright lived nearby, and flawlessly reproduced a gown I'd fallen in love with from Modern Bride. She even threw in some gorgeous, very expensive Alencon lace bits that had been left over from another client's gown, as well as the hat I wore in place of a veil. She now owns Mollie Wright Bridals in West Palm Beach.

The second, I bought a Scott McClintock cream jaquard sheath gown from (then) Foley's (now Macy's), sleeveless, with a stand-up lace collar and bolero jacket. I cut the bottom off the gown, and wore spike heeled cream pumps - perfect for our tropical Florida veranda wedding at a dear friend's home.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

For me I was very happy with my second hand dress. I got a better quality dress for MUCH less. (I wanted a very specific dress that was no longer sold new). It was an outdoor wedding and I didn't care if it drug on the ground. I LOVED it and so did everyone else. Nothing else I saw would have been the right style and fit for me (beaded and lace sheath dress with halter style top). I even had the wait staff admiring it.

I would NEVER EVER spend so much on a dress. Its just such a waste of my money. Its something you wear ONCE. If I had to chose, I'd spend more on the shoes---at least I could wear mine again! LOL

Course I also got my bridesmaids dress at GOODWILL for 7 dollars and it was basically the same dress I had just seen for 150-200 dollars. I was able to buy it for her and she didn't have to stress about the purchase (three kids, not much money). She should also be able to wear it again since its a knee length style and very cute.

I made my wedding dress, as I couldn't see spending $1200 (30 years ago) on something that was going to be worn once. Went and tried on the actual dress so I could see what the fabric was, and then made it for $125!

My shoes for the day cost me more than the dress!

Mine cost about $900, but I love it so much! I saved up money for a while to be able to afford it, but I'm so glad I got it.

Mine was about $900, and I kind of wish it had been cheaper. I was kind of unenthusiastic about my dress, as I had a terrible time deciding and finally just went for it. I haven't seen it since my wedding day, and haven't missed it, haha.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._2332704_n.jpg
    Here today, gone tomorrow...

I think I bought mine for around $250. The thing is, it was the only one like it in the store, had no tags or markings of any sort, and to this day, I've never seen a dress exactly like it. The manager said she thought it was a sample that came from a trunk show, and because she had no idea who the designer was, she couldn't sell it for more than $250!

I took the dress to a seamstress in my hometown that regularly went to Italy to purchase dresses/clothing for her shop. When she saw the dress, she told me it must have been very expensive - when I told her they sold it to me for $250, she laughed and said they were fools. She told me she had seen the same dress as a Bridal show in Milan earlier that month!

I still have no idea who designed the dress or how I was lucky enough to find it, but I really loved it, and so did everyone who saw it. The veil was more expensive than the dress! I had the seamstress make a gorgeous fingertip veil and edge it with silk. It was stunning!
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

Don't you ladies watch Say Yes to the Dress (original NY edition on TLC)? They have custom made extravaganza wedding dresses (the most expensive was shiny silver and looked ridiculous) that are up to 60,000! The worst thing is many of them are totally indecent to be seen in public in, let along inside a religious ceremony in a church or synagogue. Actually, many are so indecent that I asked one of the senior chaplains at work if they ever tell a bride to put more clothes on, and he said it happens more than you think.

I've never understood spending many thousands on a wedding, dress, etc when you could use it for a house downpayment or to pay off student loans, etc.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I spent about $900 on mine including alterations. I never regretted it for a minute. I LOVE that dress.

I do regret having gotten married though

My mom made mine - It is simple, old-fashioned, elegant and very Edwardian (like my mother). When I bring it out, it brings tears to my eyes. Wouldn't have traded it for all the expensive dresses in the world!

No, it isn't covered with beads or the latest design. It is a wedding dress. Worn once, filled with memories and hopefully one day passed on to someone else in the family who wants to wear it (like my son's future wife or a nephew's future wife).
    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFrytheEqHorse View Post
    Mine was about $900, and I kind of wish it had been cheaper. I was kind of unenthusiastic about my dress, as I had a terrible time deciding and finally just went for it. I haven't seen it since my wedding day, and haven't missed it, haha.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._2332704_n.jpg
    I think you chose very well, and were a gorgeous bride.

Quote Originally Posted by Eye in the Sky View Post
    I think I bought mine for around $250. The thing is, it was the only one like it in the store, had no tags or markings of any sort, and to this day, I've never seen a dress exactly like it. The manager said she thought it was a sample that came from a trunk show, and because she had no idea who the designer was, she couldn't sell it for more than $250!

I took the dress to a seamstress in my hometown that regularly went to Italy to purchase dresses/clothing for her shop. When she saw the dress, she told me it must have been very expensive - when I told her they sold it to me for $250, she laughed and said they were fools. She told me she had seen the same dress as a Bridal show in Milan earlier that month!

I still have no idea who designed the dress or how I was lucky enough to find it, but I really loved it, and so did everyone who saw it. The veil was more expensive than the dress! I had the seamstress make a gorgeous fingertip veil and edge it with silk. It was stunning!
    Okay, after that story, you have to post at least one picture!

Mine was right around $500, got it at a discount store, but still had to order your size.

Front
    http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g2...8_23_06312.jpg
    http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g2...8_23_06090.jpg

Front, close w/detail
    http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g2...8_23_06301.jpg

and my fave - back
    http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g2...8_23_06753.jpg