The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Smile Paradise Farm HT

I am sure RunForIt (and others) will add more to this later.

I understand Lellie has had a fall and is hospitalized -- really in need of help to get the horse trials finished and ready in two weeks. I only just read this on FB so perhaps others with more knowledge can fill in, but it does sound like the horse trials will need some EXTRA volunteer assistance this year!

Wish I could help!
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Default Lellie is kicking on...per usual

Lellie is pretty banged up... but doing better with every passing hour. Legs are fine, still lots of severe pain in her arms, but use of her hands is slowly returning, though even gripping a paper cup right now is not possible. She was not ever in surgery for her spine, but did require 36-40 sutures to close the cuts across her face. Lellie did have extensive tests through much of the night at the hospital - there is a chip, not quite a fracture in the C2, and pressure on the spinal cord from swelling which the doctors believe is causing the radiating pain in her arms.

Lellie is recuperating in style at her mom's lovely home in downtown Aiken. I visited with her for a while tonight and when she announced she was coming to the farm tomorrow, her mom looked desperate for a moment. For once I held the upper hand. Lellie lets NO ONE, except her trusted right hand man Antonio drive either of her trucks...I've ridden her horses, had the run of the farm as if it's my own - but drive the trucks - NEVER!!! Well, guess who has the keys to the trucks - MOI! I told Nannie Ward that should Lellie even hint towards insisting coming back to the farm all she needed was to remind her that the trucks were going to be all over Aiken...

And yes, volunteers for the HT in two weeks would be greatly appreciated. Everything else is finished...EVERYTHING (Lellie is a worrier and so plans and gets stuff done way in advance because "you never know what can happen" ).
    Last edited by RunForIt; Feb. 4, 2012 at 07:24 AM.
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Sounds like the hard part will be keeping her down to HEAL!!!! That's a pretty good sounding report, RFI. Thanks.

Default I drove the truck....

...and it didn't work. Late yesterday afternoon, when all the boarders had left, Barbie and I were getting ready to feed and blanket, when lots of barking started. "Who in forty hells is here NOW?", I growled at Barb. And up rolls Nannie's little blue car with none other than the mistress of the farm come to check on things, pay Barbie and Antonio, make last minute details on the XC jumps happen, plan the roping for the parking at the horse trials, and visit (THROUGH THE FENCE!!) with her beloved doggies (all four slept with me last night ). Still in lots of pain, but she describes it as "annoying"...

It's difficult for all of us to see her in that neck brace, barely able to move her arms and fingers, but you have to admire that dogged determination to make things work no matter how much it hurts. This is simply one more big question out on XC for advanced with Riverdance...

So, we all herded Lellie back into the car (you can't hug her as it causes excruciating pain), shed some tears, and went back to caring for the horses. When we finally finished, swept the barn, and fed carrots to all who were staying in, I said to Barbie, "Wait here, I've got to go get a couple of things." "What now?" she asked. "You'll see."

With a twist of the key, and a roar of his mighty engine, Jack and I took a tour of the Paradise Farm XC course...and we have it on film.
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Oh dear. Being stubborn and NOT staying down will have its consequences! You must prevail and keep her down or I'm afraid it could affect the future and cause further problems....that said, best of luck doing it. Having seriously stubborn people in my family, I understand how hard that is. And have fun with the truck. Where's the video?