The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Kindle Fire vs. Nook. Suggestions :)

Who has what and why do you prefer one over the other?

I have a nook color. I love it, it is great for reading and games and is the perfect size. Also, I can go online and use it if there's a wifi connection. I don't really know much about the kindle fire, but I am curious to hear other people's opinion because I'm going to get something for the BF soon (because I can't keep him off my nook, lol).

do you use netflix or watch anything on it? i was getting it for the gym and was just curious.

Neither, kobo.

There is a trade off between getting something that can show colour/video v. something that is easier to read off of.

I find my B&W kobo incredibly easy to read off of, it is very much like reading a piece of paper. I read off my computer screen a lot (obviously /\#) but my eyes get tired quite quickly. My eyes never get tired reading the kobo screen.

I believe you can change the battery on some nooks over a kindle (double-check that), that would definitely be a selling feature for me. Otherwise when the batteries dies, and they all eventually wear out, the reader is garbage.
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

Not the Nook. Barnes & Noble is struggling. Who knows what's going to happen with the Nook when they go belly up?

I have never tried to watch anything on it, no. I'm really mostly a reader. And Nes, I found that adjusting the backlight made all the difference for me, the factory setting was way too bright. Not sure about changing the battery, I'll check on that.

I'm on my Nook Tablet right now. LOVE it!!
    I'm not so worried about B&N. I don't buy books from their site & doubt I'll have problems with my tablet that will require their help in the long run. Maybe I'm foolish, but that's just MHO. I researched Nook Tablet vs Kindle Fire. Found some not so great reviews & problems with Fire.
    I do watch movies on Netflix even though I didn't think I would. I LOVE magazines on my Nook too!
    Y'all ain't right!

I havethe "First Edition Nook" and have enjoyed it immensely! The reason I chose the Nook over the Kindle at that time was that the Nook was an open system and accepted all available electronic formats - Kindle was restricted to Amazon. My understanding is now all readers are open format.

Now it is not limited to Nook or Kindle as the 'tablets' and IPADS allow you to read books and so much more.

Much like 10 years or so ago when one carried a laptop, telephone, pda and a 'garmin', now you can have all on a smart phone.

So to me the question is to go to a reader that has some computing ability or a tablet/mini computer that includes a reader app. Technology is grand until it hits this phase and we have to guess which way it will morph.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Update. Bought the Nook color today at lunch. It is wonderful. I have been playing with it since 1 and cant put it down. The netflix app on there is free (obviously you will need an account with netflix) and works great. HIGHLY RECCOMEND it!

I got the Kindle Fire for Christmas and absolutely love it!!!

I love my Fire too, and have read, watched shows and movies on it.
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

I got a Kindle Fire for Christmas and I love it. I read, watch TV and movies, email, FB and play games on it. My kids love playing Angry Birds on it vs. my phone! I have no experience with Nooks, but love my Fire!