The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Default Breeding Industry Advice?

    I've been hemming and hawing over whether to even post this, so I did the safe thing and made an alter.

    Without getting into specifics, I am about to graduate with a BS in March and was planning on attending graduate school. Due to circumstances, I was advised to work for 1-2 years, and then come back.

    I figured that this may be the best time to say "what the heck" and give riding a chance. But, I am still a more science-oriented person, I would much rather work in the breeding industry with a riding twist. I can AI, break babies, and have shown up to FEI levels. I know I am the perfect fit for someone, but I'm not sure how to go about finding them.

    I know, in the "real world," I would send out my cover letter and resume to every place I can find across the nation, which I plan on doing for my other two "this could work for me" jobs. I remember being told that this is often the best way to go since, often times, places don't know they need you until you fall in their lap. But, with the sporthorse breeding world being so small, I'm not sure if that would be perceived as tacky or presumptuous.

    I have already looked on Yard and Groom and the jobs that seem appropriate and pay enough to survive are all across the pond. While I am willing to ditch everything here and go there, I would much rather stay in the States.

    Advice? Print the resumes and send 'em? Job websites? Give it up?



  2. #2
    Join Date
    May. 11, 2011
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    681

    Default

    You could contact some of the large farms and ask if they are hiring, or know of anyone who is. I have seen employment posts on websites of the bigger operations like Hilltop.
    Also, look in sporthorse-focused magazines like Flying Changes or Warmbloods Today for employment ads. You can also try websites geared toward your discipline, such as USDF (and the individual region's sites and GMO sites).

    Good luck!



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr. 14, 2006
    Posts
    3,798

    Default

    When we get moved to our new - warmer, less wind, more horse (English sports) oriented, better footing, location I would love to find someone with your credentials. I'm sure there are others with the same needs for talents you can offer. I'm just not ready yet. Good Luck!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan. 11, 2011
    Location
    Northern Cali
    Posts
    74

    Default

    yardandgroom.com



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar. 17, 2003
    Location
    North Texas, US
    Posts
    2,207

    Default

    I think most breeders would be flattered if someone emailed and asked about opportunities. It certainly can't hurt.

    I think a lot depends on what your salary requirements would be, geographic region and how flexible you are. Us "small time breeders" have to get creative sometimes to make things happen!

    Good luck!!
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan. 30, 2012
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TrinitySporthorses View Post
    You could contact some of the large farms and ask if they are hiring, or know of anyone who is. I have seen employment posts on websites of the bigger operations like Hilltop.
    Also, look in sporthorse-focused magazines like Flying Changes or Warmbloods Today for employment ads. You can also try websites geared toward your discipline, such as USDF (and the individual region's sites and GMO sites).

    Good luck!
    Unfortunately, Hilltop isn't hiring and they seem to be the only facility with an "Employment Opportunities" page! I had no idea that WT had want ads, but I'll go ahead and look in my copy! Unfortunately, most of the discipline webpages, at least in my area, seem to be conveniently blind that the horse industry has employees and employers eager to meet! Thanks for you help.

    Quote Originally Posted by crosscreeksh View Post
    When we get moved to our new - warmer, less wind, more horse (English sports) oriented, better footing, location I would love to find someone with your credentials. I'm sure there are others with the same needs for talents you can offer. I'm just not ready yet. Good Luck!!
    Thanks for the luck and good luck to you with the move! Some of the reasons you are moving, specifically the footing, are probably going to be some of the challenges I'll face on this journey. Many times, those involved with horses, but not necessarily in the riding aspect, seem to think a lot of footing types are good enough while, in fact, they may be sacrificing their horses soundness with too deep or too hard a riding surface.

    Quote Originally Posted by SomethingChronic View Post
    yardandgroom.com
    Thanks, but I tried that, hence why I'm here.

    Quote Originally Posted by cyriz's mom View Post
    I think most breeders would be flattered if someone emailed and asked about opportunities. It certainly can't hurt.

    I think a lot depends on what your salary requirements would be, geographic region and how flexible you are. Us "small time breeders" have to get creative sometimes to make things happen!

    Good luck!!
    Thanks for that insight! I probably would go the cover letter and resume on nice, stiff paper over e-mail, but call me old fashioned.

    I very much understand flexibility. I think horse people in general with anything but huge incomes have to be creative! To make a small fortune, start with a large one and all that jazz.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov. 8, 2009
    Posts
    307

    Default

    PM me your resume, I might know of something



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb. 2, 2009
    Location
    Boerne, Texas
    Posts
    484

    Default

    PM me your personal info, salary requirements and resume. We may possibly be interested in adding someone to our staff in the near future.
    Tricia Veley-First Flight Farm
    Boerne, Texas
    830-537-4150 phone/830-537-4154 fax
    www.firstflightfarm.com
    FFF Page on Facebook: Become a fan!
    FFF Channel on YouTube: See videos



  9. #9

    Default

    Have you considered contacting some TB breeding farms in Kentucky?



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb. 5, 2007
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    639



Similar Threads

  1. Breeding advice?
    By dmgreulich in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Nov. 28, 2011, 11:23 PM
  2. Replies: 18
    Last Post: Jul. 1, 2011, 09:50 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: Feb. 15, 2011, 07:18 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: Oct. 8, 2010, 03:06 PM
  5. Breeding advice
    By horselady82 in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Oct. 12, 2009, 02:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •