The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Magnesium chloride for ring footing?

Our barn is considering using MAG flakes (magnesium chloride) to cut down on the dust in our basically sand indoor ring.

Does anyone have experience with this product? Are there any downsides/safety issues with it?

This is from the product web site www.stoparenadust.com

"MAG, a proven humectant or hygroscopic agent that draws in moisture naturally. MAG is a form of magnesium chloride that is harvested from the Dead Sea, a source of life giving minerals. MAG will draw in water and then hold it at an impressive rate. One pound of MAG can hold up to four times its weight in water under ideal conditions. MAG will draw in moisture continuously and indefinitely and suppress dust permanently in any type of footing in any indoor arena..... The worst thing that you can do when using MAG is to water your ring. Once you commit to using MAG, it is very important that all watering for dust control is halted. The reason is simple: You are applying a dust control agent at the surface, and gravity and hoof action will help it to penetrate the footing, coat all the particles of footing and hold them down on the arena floor where you want them. By watering after you have applied MAG, you are rinsing the product off the top and into the subsurface."

we used it 2 yrs ago. Love it. we found with oiling we lost the benefit after about 6 months.

We actually watered the arena before applying. We do add a little water now - once in a while and it holds really well.

Our barn uses it. They apply it every fall before indoor season starts. I believe they also water the ring before they put it down and I don't think they have to water it after. Our ring stays dust free all winter.

This summer before the rainy season started, we had a mini drought and the dust was crazy. Our BO put it down in the outdoor ring because we do not have the ability to water outside. It really helped with the dust and you could actually see damp spots in the ring (I am not sure where the moisture was coming from, though). Within a few weeks of installing it we were deluged with rain and have been ever since, so I can't speak to the long-term effects of it outside. I believe it can also be used to prevent the ring from freezing in the winter -- we wouldn't know, since it has been washed away many times over since this summer!

I am not aware of any adverse effects or safety issues.

As it's a salt it will corrode steel so it's imperative to keep it away from the steel of the arena.

Default Use it and love it

I have been using this product for a few years. Really like it. It keeps my arena dust free in summer and unfrozen in winter. You are planning on using inside? Also, I think MAG flake is the best magnesium chloride. It has gotten more expensive and you can use others like NED Mag. They are still 100% magnesium chloride.

PKN

Wow, ive never heard of that. Seems like a pretty cool invention though, because where I live we sometimes cant even see the other side of the arena, its so dusty! (And our arena isn't that big...)

Thanks, everyone, for this really helpful feedback.

Sounds like this product - MAGFlakes - will really make a difference with the dust in the indoor ring. The other big plus in the winter is that it appears we will no longer have to water the ring which, when the temperature freezes, can cause lumps in the footing.

Not familiar with the particular brand you're quoting, but mag chloride is the salt of choice for both freezing and dust because it's the least corrosive (not zero, but least) of the chlorides. Generally, Calcium is next and Sodium is most corrosive, but as noted above all salts are corrosive. Don't get on metal if you can help it, and it's prudent (not required, but IMO prudent) to hose off horses legs after work.

Quote Originally Posted by Canterwell View Post
    Thanks, everyone, for this really helpful feedback.

Sounds like this product - MAGFlakes - will really make a difference with the dust in the indoor ring. The other big plus in the winter is that it appears we will no longer have to water the ring which, when the temperature freezes, can cause lumps in the footing.
    I wouldn't get too happy about never watering again. It really depends upon how old your footing is. In otherwords, how much tiny ground up bits of dust there are. If the footing is relatively newish/not so old, you may be able to go without adding water. But if the footing is well used regularly, and has not been replaced in several years, then the MAG will help, but you may still need to water occasionally.

Default Can anyone help me ?

I just moved to a new barn, great footing but they use Magnesium Chloride in the indoor arena. The footing is building up in my horses feet like a snow ball. 15 minutes and I have to get off and pick her feet.
    I cannot be the only person to have this problem. Does anyone know what I can put on her feet to prevent the footing from sticking in there and creating this problem.
    She is recovering from soft tissue injury and I have to be really careful about re-injury.
    Thanks

Thumbs up Mag Chlor

Have used Mag Chlor in one form or another for over 10 years. However the footing sand is mixed with rubber.

I haven't watered in years, nor have I had a clumping problem in the feet.

"Clumping" sounds like an 'old/needs to be replaced' issue. Lots of dust+moisture=clumping.

I'm interested in why you watered the arena prior to putting it down. Does it last longer this way? We generally don't water prior, but if it makes a big difference, we probably should. Thanks!
    Some days the best thing about my job is that the chair spins.

I am looking at getting it for our indoor. Is there a good website that would tell you how many bags you might need for a certain size ring. Ours is 150x 80. The only problems is, if we get a good rain, water will come into the indoor. Usually not bad but it does form a puddle up top. They usually drag it in to the rest of the ring but would you just leave the puddle there?? Since dragging it in with the rest would ruin the MAG.

Quote Originally Posted by jay0087 View Post
    I am looking at getting it for our indoor. Is there a good website that would tell you how many bags you might need for a certain size ring. Ours is 150x 80. The only problems is, if we get a good rain, water will come into the indoor. Usually not bad but it does form a puddle up top. They usually drag it in to the rest of the ring but would you just leave the puddle there?? Since dragging it in with the rest would ruin the MAG.
    How much you 'need' really depends on what the footing is comprised of (AKA- how much ground up dust particles) AND humidity. Mag really is not going to do too much good in a dry, arid climate. All the MAG does is draw and hold water. So if the air is super dry = no water to draw/absorb = no do nothing for you.

Default 500 lbs

I have an arena about that size and I would start with 500 lbs. You might need up to another 150 pounds, depends on sand and weather. If it's not a ton of water I would just drag it in, I certainly wouldn't leave it.

Also when you apply the MAG, spread it and leave it for 24 hours. Then drag.

HTH,
    PKN

What part of the country do you live? I've tried it here in Idaho, where it's very dry, and it really doesn't work, apparently we don't have enough humidity in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by jay0087 View Post

LOTS of great information on this product HERE

The stuff is fantastic. I have a friend who put into her uber-dusty almost not-sand worn footing - northern Idaho, so quite arid. She said it actually rolled up into little dust-covered balls for a day or so, then she barely misted the surface, it all melted in, and VOILA! dust free zone. No freezing footing either.
    Homesick Angels Farm
    breeders of champion Irish Draught Sporthorses
    standing Manu Forti's Touch Down RID
    www.IrishHuntersandJumpers.com