The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best way to ship a saddle?

I sold my saddle on ebay (yay!!) and I need to ship it (within the US).

I took it to the Mailboxes etc. store in town and they wanted close to $500 to ship it, not including insurance

Can someone suggest to me the best way to ship a dressage saddle so that it will get to the location safely and inexpensively.

Please help, i'd like to send it to the buyer ASAP!

In the past 2 months I have shipped saddles through UPS and FedEx...30 ish dollars....Fed Ex is more but they will pay you if they damage it.

you must have misunderstood...$500 would be beyond outragious

on Monday I shipped a dressage saddle across the country for $32 w/ UPS.

I'm working with a saddle fitter, who also works with almost everyone at my barn. All saddles are shipped with UPS for around $40. USPS is the best/cheapest for small packages, but fedex or ups are much cheaper for any package bigger than about 12-14 inches

Alright then.. something must have gone horribly wrong on the phone! I had my aunt call for me b/c I was at work and I thought I told her exactly what I needed but wires must have gotten crossed somewhere!

I go to the U-Haul store and buy a box for like $2 and then package and ship with UPS. Everyone is right on as far as price. I have had some ship cheaper USPS (like $19-20) but most are right in the $30-40 range with UPS.

UPS or FedEx anywhere in the US should be less than $50 for shipping (less Hawaii and Alaska). If you pack it yourself here is how you do it.

Wrap saddle TIGHT in bubble wrap (you can never have to much). Its the tree you want to protect.
    Put two full inches of packing peanuts (not news paper!) in bottom of box.
    Place saddle in box, fill box with peanuts.
    Shake box to settle peanuts.
    Put more peanuts in box.
    Make sure you have AT LEAST two full inches of peanuts between the saddle and box at all points.
    You want the box to be "tight" when you close it and push down on it.
    Seal box with 2" packaging tape (NOT duct tape).
    Get the extra insurance it will only cost you a couple bucks.
    DO NOT ship international.

Either take the package to a UPS Store or FedEx or go online and print a shipping lable. Be honest about the actual shipping a weight. So much a millimeter or an inch will count as the "next inch up" and so much as a gram over will count as the "next pound up".

Ship package.

I am a shipping expert both domestic and international.

Last time I shipped a saddle- big western saddle- fed ex's online shipping quotes were reasonable...under $50..but when I went to the actual place to ship it it was almost $200.. i said no way, and went and shipped it for $35 at the post office. I did have to make sure hte box was a specific size- but the post office was much cheaper than ups or fed ex.

I'd like to know what UPS store you're all using for $40! The last time I shipped a saddle - a Wintec dressage saddle - I packaged it myself and it still cost me around $60 to send UPS. It cost me $90 to ship a Tucker Equitation Endurance - also packaged myself - from VA to CA. I always ship ground, but do buy the additional insurance.

I do NOT trust USPS with any packages that I really don't want to go missing. When BF was hiking last summer, I shipped about 15 food drops to various post offices along the trail (so no other shipping option except USPS). One, shipped priority, got there a WEEK late. THREE others, shipped with tracking and delivery confirmation, simply disappeared. Nobody could tell me what happened or where those packages ended up because USPS's tracking system really sucks. They basically said, "Too bad, sh!t happens." At least with FedEx or UPS, I know that if the package never reaches its destination I'll be refunded the cost of shipping and the insured value of the contents.

Quote Originally Posted by RougeEmpire View Post
    UPS or FedEx anywhere in the US should be less than $50 for shipping (less Hawaii and Alaska). If you pack it yourself here is how you do it.

Wrap saddle TIGHT in bubble wrap (you can never have to much). Its the tree you want to protect.
    Put two full inches of packing peanuts (not news paper!) in bottom of box.
    Place saddle in box, fill box with peanuts.
    Shake box to settle peanuts.
    Put more peanuts in box.
    Make sure you have AT LEAST two full inches of peanuts between the saddle and box at all points.
    Instead of all those peanuts, consider using balloons instead. You can adjust the amount of air as needed and get a really nice, tight fit so the saddle doesn't move around.

Eileen
    Mad Mare™ Studio
    Custom Swarovski®, Czech glass and gemstone browbands in Circlet, Diadem and Tiara styles. Matching stock pins, bracelets and belts.
    http://MadMare.com

I refuse to ship anything with USPS. THEY lost two saddles when I shipped them (at the same time to the same person,) and I had them insured. After dragging things along (when I filed the claim,) I was told that I needed valid proof of the value of the saddles. I sent them a signed appraisal from a saddler (with a business license, etc.) on his letterhead (I was told this was valid proof.) Again, USPS dragged things along (the saddles showed being scanned in at the Post Office, and that's all.)

The day before the final day for my claim, USPS sent me a letter saying that the appraisal was not valid proof, they were not extending my claim, and basically, "you're SOL."

Therefore, although I paid for shipping, delivery confirmation, and insurance for $450 worth of tack, I didn't get a dime from them, and the saddles never showed up.

Never had a problem with UPS shipping items including saddles. Just make sure it's packed correctly. PROTECT THE TREE! as well as the rest of the saddle.
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Another vote for do NOT USE USPS! I had a basically one-of-a-kind sidesaddle shipped to me via USPS.. it was lost for nearly 2 weeks and I think I aged about 10 years in that time period.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Quote Originally Posted by paintlady View Post
    I'd like to know what UPS store you're all using for $40!
    I won't use UPS stores. I have been screwed by them every time. Staples stores usually have an UPS counter. Their prices are actually in line with what the UPS website quotes.

Quote Originally Posted by gaitedincali View Post
    I won't use UPS stores. I have been screwed by them every time. Staples stores usually have an UPS counter. Their prices are actually in line with what the UPS website quotes.
    I worked at a UPS Store. Their contract with UPS states that they CANNOT jack up the shipping-- they must charge the same rate for shipping as anyone without a UPS account would get online, at a Staples counter, or at a UPS facility. However, they WILL round up to the next inch or next pound if it's a bit over, whereas most people might see 12 1/8" and 3.1lbs and call it 12" and 3lbs.

UPS Stores ARE allowed to charge more for insurance than you'd pay online or at a UPS facility, and their packaging rates are high but DEFINITELY worth it if you're not a frequent pack-and-shipper and are shipping something that's very valuable and fragile. Not many people pack items to UPS's standard and if something is damaged in transit and it's NOT packed to their standard, good luck collecting on an insurance claim.

Last summer I shipped one through UPS, and it was about $60 with insurance (but the box was pretty big, too). I usually ship through USPS; havent' had a problem yet (crossing fingers) and it's usually around $45 w/insurance.

The one and only time I had a saddle shipped to me via FedEx (from England), FedEx dropped the box and broke the tree, and though it was insured, refused to pay up. I will never ship with them again. Because I hadn't been the original shipper, they wouldn't discuss the case with me either. Just sent me the saddle back two months later, after their "investigation," and told me I was SOL.

I shipped a BIG saddle (18" XW all purpose) saddle with FedEx (insured for $500) for $33.00 I have a corp. account so I believe it provides some discount, but not a huge one.

The box was 26 x 18 I believe... at first the wanted me to put it in an even BIGGER box, but that would have cost a lot more (once you get into big boxes, prices start to go up ten fold).

I wrapped in bubble wrap, and those cool air pouches around the tree. Reciever tells me it arrived in good shape.

Oh... and I taped the HELL out of that box!

Wow! I sold my saddle recently and I shipped it from my local Mail Mart place, which is always so, so much more exensive than going to the post office but has zero lines. Including packaging and insurance, I paid around $80.

I just had a saddle shipped to me and it was $35. This one was in a box but inside they had put a smaller box to take up some of the extra space. The tree was also bubble wrapped and then packing peanuts were in there to fill in everything else. The little box in there was smart though. The saddle looked good when it arrived.