The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Walking horses to our other property-mild sedative?

We finally, finally have our pasture down the road fenced and want to move the horses/pony this weekend. We will walk them down, mainly because our truck needs new brakes so that means no trailer. It is about 1/2 mile.
    We will be walking on our country road that doesn't have much traffic. However, everyone has been in a sacrifice paddock with just hay, so I'm sure they will equate being led out with wooohooo grass! I do not want anything to go wrong.
    I looked up Dormosed (sp?) but it says no food or water for 4 hours. Don't think that will work, as they are being put on 10 acres.
    I researched Quietex and am wondering if that is a good idea. Of course, I really am leaning towards having the vet come out and administer something.
    Thoughts? Opinions?

I regularly rode my horse half a mile to the grocery store along state hwy 1 as a teen, and hacked roughly three miles one way to take lessons, through a subdivision and then down a not so busy road with not much in the way of shoulders.
    However I wouldn't be comfortable doing that with the old guy who is a retired show horse and very naive outside the arena, not unless I had been exposing him to road traffic for a couple of weeks.

I suppose Ace would work to take the edge off but really, walking along a moderately busy road with adequate shoulders should be something that all broke horses can do without too much fuss.
    If there are green horses or babies in the bunch then you may wish to contact your vet and take their advice regarding sedation, and you definitely need one person per horse regardless, possibly with a chain shank.

Oh yes, congrats on fencing off new pasture and remember not to let them gorge on good grass if they've been on a dry lot!
    Last edited by ReSomething; Feb. 2, 2012 at 07:49 PM. Reason: we let the pony stuff himself once and he got gas colic, not smart
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I guess it depends on the horses, but I'd just walk them out without anything. I just did something like that (it was under a half-mile, but just barely) with a few young horses. I led them two at a time totally solo, which I readily acknowledge isn't the best safety practice but really, half a mile isn't far at all.

If you have help, each lead one at a time with the calmer horse in front. This really doesn't seem like something that requires drugging to me.

I think it should be do-able w/o drugs unless they are real yay-hoos, but I would 1) wear gloves; 2) maybe use a lunge line?

The rationale behind the lunge line is that if a horse yanks away from you abruptly and you lose your grip for an instant, there's more to hold onto, and you can give them a couple more feet without losing them altogether.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

I think its good to be prepared, but I think unless they are super "up" horses to begin with, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Chain over the nose, and just take it slow. If they seem a little squirrely, lead them to over to where they could eat a little to calm them.

Can you ride/work them first, so they are a little tired?
    Otherwise, i'd do a chain over the nose, and a sturdy cotton lead.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll describe the road a bit more. It has a bank on one side for most of the trip, with fencing across the top. On the other side, there is another bank with not a steep drop off, but we'd be scrambling to get down it. I can't walk anywhere but along the edge of the road, hence my concern.
    I like the idea of a lunge line, and gloves will definitely be worn.

I don't know, I just worry, which I tend to do. :-0

Perhaps you should get a competent horse person to walk your horses on the road for you.

Have someone drive a suitably safe distance behind you with flashers on- that will help stop traffic from flying up behind you, and if a horse gets stupid the person in the car can try to convince cars to steer wide (or wait, if they are being polite).

I didn't see how many horses you said you were moving, but take the ones most likely to act stupid first- the herd may ramp up a little as they see their buddies leave one by one.

And lastly pick a time of day with good visibility, good footing and as little traffic as possible- that may be noon on a Tuesday, first thing on a Sunday, or perhaps even Saturday afternoon.

Good luck!

how about one of the herbal supplements? That would be enough to help them out without being super strong. Sorry I don't know any, but I'm sure someone on here does.

Quote Originally Posted by chaltagor View Post
    Perhaps you should get a competent horse person to walk your horses on the road for you.
    Rude.

Use a lunge line, gloves, and a chain. Getting someone to drive behind you with emergency lights on is a good idea. Your horses should be fine, we walked ours about 1/2 a mile from barn to barn a while back and they were ok, none with road experience. Years ago we rented 2 fields, about an 8 minute drive from each other. Moved a yearling back and forth all the time, across a hwy and down a busy road. Only time we had a problem was when the neighbours complained about poop on the sidewalk. Herbal remedies are a good idea, I used to use one on a hot chestnut TB mare I rode.. can't remember the name, but you can get it at the pharmacy. It's for humans as well.

I hand-walked my TB back from his leaser's barn, about 2 miles, this summer. I was a nervous wreck about the idea... I had visions of him flipping out and me losing control. However, it turned out to be no big deal. We just walked home. He was totally fine. I did use a lunge line and wore gloves for the reasons stated earlier. And I had a dressage whip in case he balked but I didn't need it. I bet you will be fine.

I know your horses, just walk them. Put a chain over the two noses of the ones I know. You will be fine. They lead, they tie! Just be prepared and the chain will give you more control. If it's only 1/2 mile and you are worried they will get too excited, carry a bucket of grain with you! That will slow them down!
    Maria Hayes-Frosty Oak Stables
    Home to All Eyez On Me, 1998 16.2 Cleveland Bay Sporthorse Stallion
    & FrostyOak Hampton 2008 Pure Cleveland Bay Colt
    www.frostyoaks.com

I don't know that I'd use a lunge line. Really, what good is it going to do you to have 30' of rope? You think you are going to stop them when they hit the end! Nope! I'd go with a cotton lead with a chain, keep it short and keep their attention. I've walked a yearling 1 1/2 miles down the road with no problems. I'd prefer taking two at a time as opposed to hubby following you. I you and hubby can each take one and someone follow you even better!
    Maria Hayes-Frosty Oak Stables
    Home to All Eyez On Me, 1998 16.2 Cleveland Bay Sporthorse Stallion
    & FrostyOak Hampton 2008 Pure Cleveland Bay Colt
    www.frostyoaks.com

karlymacrae-I just ignore classless people, but thanks for sticking up for me!

Maria, I just worry :-) so thanks to you for the reassurance. :-)

If you are really concerned just ask the vet for some Ace and give it to them. I second the lunge line option, but if they take off there is only so much you do either way.

From one worrier to another, I had to do the same thing not so long ago, come to think of it several times. I live in a country setting, houses along the route are about one/two acre lots with no sidewalks. We had to cross a busy street which has trucks flying doing like 50 mph. An extra person should be considered not a vehicle. That person’s job is to slow traffic and in the event something happened with one the horses, there would be someone on foot able to help if needed. Take some grain in a small bucket incase its needed. The idea of the lunge line, well that worries me a bit. I’d hate to see an inexperienced person (like a helper) getting a leg or a hand caught in the event of something going wrong. I vote for the chain over the noise, its there if you need it. I had help but my experience was it all went well. It was time for weaning and I found a neighbor who was willing to lend me a babysitter. We needed to take mom away first to bring in the new mare. We did one at a time as it was just the two of us. Thought I was going to vomit when it was all said and done. By the way, No drugs needed for the horses, I on the other hand could have used some. Good luck, let us know how it goes.
    Last edited by espont; Feb. 3, 2012 at 12:48 AM.

Yeah, I agree, chaltagor could have made a point with out the insult. I would say thats child-like and very rude!!!

Use a chain over their nose & take a whip or find someone who knows how. It's a half mile. If you expect a crisis it will materialize. Do you ace them for anything else?

Call me classless, child-like or rude (I like blunt & direct), but this is worrying over nothing, unless your horses just don't lead. If that's the case, you have bigger problems.

I've taken hot horses down several roads w/o any problems. This is not something to throw up over.

I would use a rope halter or a lead rope with a chain shank on it - a longer lead would be beneficial, but I thing a lunge line would be too cumbersome. I'd also take a dressage whip if I was REALLY expecting problems.

Basically, do whatever you need to do to get the job done, but the very LAST thing I would do is drug a herd of horses, lead them out into traffic, and them turn them out to fend for themselves on 10 acres while the drugs wear off.

If you're not comfortable in doing this, I would highly recommend an experienced horseman to come and assist you - maybe they could take the horse in the lead, so that the horse you are leading could follow? Plus, that way if you have problems with your animal, they could assist you with advise on how to handle the situation.

Realistically, if your horses are over the age of two, they should have a pretty good handle on being led, and I agree with red mares - not something that should be making you lose your lunch over.

Good luck, and hope all end up where they are supposed to be safely!