The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Animals Reacting to TV

I watch "meal movies," 15 minutes roughly while eating. I can get about 2 movies a week in that way, and I never really have a long-enough slot to sit down and watch a movie normally. But anyway, as I'm eating, the animals are usually around, and they notice the movies at times.

Recently, I was watching the Call of the Wild. They got to the wolf scene, where all the wolves are howling and Buck is voting whether to join them or go back to his person. The pack tuned up, and my dog came RUNNING in from the other room. She was most agitated trying to figure it out at first until she realized no wolves were around. The cats, on the other hand, couldn't have cared less about wolves on TV.

The current meal movie is the Blue and the Gray, the old CBS miniseries about the Civil War. Picked it up on clearance just to see Gregory Peck as Abraham Lincoln, but it's not bad in general so far. There was an early scene in the tents when the soldiers are raw recruits and just killing time and having fun in camp. No real battles yet; they have no clue what war actually is. They were holding cockroach races. Ewww!!! Yep, different soldiers would find a cockroach, and then they would bet whose roach was faster. The cats were MOST interested in that, even trying batting a few times.

A little later, the series finally got down to Bull Run #1, and the guns all opened up for the first time. The cats were very ho-hum on artillery fire, but the dog got all worried again and went around inspecting the house.

Sometimes, it's almost as much fun to watch the animals as the movie. Anybody else's critters get into audience participation sometimes?

For the first time, (after having maybe 15 dogs in my life) I have a dog that reacts to "barks" on TV. And gets the other three barking. Great......

Girl dog tends to react to animals on TV. Also cartoons! Boy dog only reacts sometimes after she did. She will jump up and put her nose on the screen. Very funny.

Old Aussie rarely reacted to dogs etc. He would react to two things on TV. Our videos of us and the horse. And the old opening credits of Lassie. Never reacted to any other TV animals. But when Lassie jumped the fence then sat and barked he would charge the TV and bark. Wonder what that dog said!

My previous BC would search behind the TV whenever there were bird noises on the TV (seagulls, especially). He knew the images on the TV were not real, but he was positive that there must be birds hiding behind it!

I actually caught Loki, my current BC, watching the TV this week! I had a NatGeo documentary about lions and hyenas ("Eternal Enemies," good doc!) Between the hyena whoops & lion roars.. and the fast moving action on screen.. he was entranced! He just stood there, ears perked, staring at the TV for a good long while. It was hilarious!

He also had a very strong reaction when I was watching "A Dog Year" to the sounds of the sheep on screen. I was actually quite surprised how strong his reaction was--he leapt up and raced across the room on full search-alert when the sheep started bleating. No question that he definitely has a strong herding drive!

My BC barked at Sully from Monsters, Inc. one day. But, he also barks (with intent) at the ceiling fan, the pair of boots left underneath the desk and anything else he deems suspicious.

He will watch tv, but his stereotypically short attention span gets the best of him.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

I have never had a dog that reacted to animals on the TV until now. Riley (2 yr old) needs to talk to the animals on the screen then will come and tell me all about it.
    This past spring with Rolex was on he sat and watched the horses run cross country.

Be it a cartoon, a dog, puppies!, wolf, or any other 'dog' like shape on the TV, he is talking to it.

I was watching......I can't believe I am going to say this....one of the Twilight movies, the one with Jacob and when he changes in to a wolf; Riley gets really confused. He saw that and had this look on his face like, "HOW THE HELL!! did that person just turn into a dog!!"

I have had cats bat the screen or look for the offending object to come out the side, they usually give up

I was watching the BBC "Pride & Prejudice" (the Colin Firth one... mmm...) one day and my female cat, Isolde, parked herself in front of the TV and watched with complete absorption for about ten to fifteen minutes. She got up and left when Mr. Darcy failed to reappear after a period of absence. No lie.

She's a bit more Lydia than Elizabeth, though, I must say.

My male Corgi, Slash, watches television ALL the time. He is especially interested in dogs on the tv, but he likes to watch all kinds of animals as well. I often leave Animal Planet on when I leave the house so he will be entertained while I am gone. He seems most appreciative!
    Quicksilver Farms, LLC
    "Welsh Hunter Ponies"
    Welsh Sec. B Stallions and
    Fancy Show Pony Prospects
    www.quicksilverponies.com

My old pug would go total nutso when any animal would come on the tube, cartoon or real. it was pretty amusing

Quote Originally Posted by Miss J View Post
    My old pug would go total nutso when any animal would come on the tube, cartoon or real. it was pretty amusing
    Mine too. Even someone in a bear suit or whatever.

I haven't watched Animal Planet is years. Not worth listening to the barking.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

My cat doesn't watch TV but when she heard this video, she ran to the laptop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlS3w1GGE8g

I do remember a childhood cat who got very into the roadrunner cartoons. But some of my animals over the years don't even seem to notice the screen, no matter what's on it.

Yep - my older BC does. She mainly likes watching wildlife programmes and will bark at the tv when there are dogs barking on it or cattle that need to be be moved or ... And for some strange reason, when Bear Grylls is on, she runs to the tv and sits there staring .... being a BC, she is probably trying to work out exactly how much brighter she is than him

My dog can identify when other dogs are on TV and will run up to the screen and watch. When we first got him from the SPCA, he had been taken from a home that was neglecting the puppies and had lived outside for the first 9 months of his life. I imagine he had never seen a TV before. We were watching those field dog trials where the dogs jump off the docks and such. Whenever a dog ran off the side of the screen he would go behind the TV and look for it!

He also can identify items that are supposed to be dogs, such as stuffed animals. My sister has a ton of stuffed animals on her bed. If Sam gets into her room he will steal only the dog ones out of the pile and run off with them. There is one he really hates and he growls and barks if he sees it. We had to hide it on top of the fridge because if it is anywhere lower he takes it and tries to kill it!

My two dogs watch on occasion. They bark EVERY time a tv doorbell rings, which drives me nuts. I don't know why they do it since I NEVER have anyone that comes to my front door and rings the doorbell.

My ridgeback cracked me up once. I was watching AP one day and there was a border collie playing fetch. My dog was mesmerized. I was watching him as he was watching the tv. It was as if he was watching a tennis match. Then all of a sudden when the tv person threw the ball my dog jumped up and ran to the tv ball and tried to grab it. Left a slobber mark on the tv and all. He's never done anything like that again, but it was really funny. He's not really a big fetcher in real life, either. Strange! Gotta love the dogs.

My dog, Stella, will occasionally look up and/or get excited if she hears a dog barking or howling on TV (or the radio). She'll react to certain other animal sounds (horses, occasionally cats) and will, occasionally, watch the TV if it sounds interesting enough.

All that being said, she is known to freak the eff out if she hears Brian O'Connor (for those who don't know, he is a popular announcer at events) on youtube videos, if she hears whistles (used at big events to warn spectators of horses coming), and if she hears galloping/jumping horses....and if she hears ALL of that...she has been known to go ballistic. I had her jump up to look out the window one time to see where the horse was coming from. I have pictures of her WATCHING, intently, when I have Burghley or Badminton videos on. And God help you if you watch a video of someone at Fair Hill!!! She LOVES going to Fair Hill, so the combination of Brian's voice announcing and the whistles freaks her out. She's also used to hearing Brian at the events we go to, so she really associates his voice with CROSS COUNTRY.

She truly enjoys watching xc (live, preferably, but apparently on TV, too). She will watch horses go through complexes at events, and gets really excited and will occasionally "cheer" with the crowd.

Our cat likes the Oasis channel, sometimes. His favourite is Hinterland Who's Who, a quick 1 minute clip on Canadian wildlife, usually birds. He perks up at the intro music
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Most of the cats pay no attention to the TV although two like it when I watch concert footage. BUT.......now that I have upgraded the TV, one of the barn cats who wants to be a house cat has noticed the clear pic and sat for a few days watching intently........then came the show about parrots and he was right at the screen and filled it with paw streaks and nose spooges; never hurt the TV but those prints are hard to remove. I scattered cut up orange peel around the TV so they leave it alone.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

My Jack Russell loves to watch TV, he will be sleeping but when the volume changes due to a commercial, his little head snaps up. He will go running up to the TV barking at any dog on it, or he really likes the KIA hamsters or the one with the hamsters rowing. Way too much.

One time while waiting in the vets lobby, the TV was on to one of those wellness type programs they were playing, and we were the only ones in the lobby, he saw the dog come on and started barking, they couldn't believe how he was at the TV.

You mean like this?

Our cat was a big NASCAR fan. She'd sit in front of the TV and swat at the cars.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams