The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Would you name a super small farmette.

We really only have a little over 3 acres, so I'm wondering if there are any advantages to giving the place a name. Has anyone else done this. Formally or informally.

One advantage is that you can get free monogramming from Smartpak if you have more than one horse getting their Smartpaks at the same 'barn'. Another is that you have a 'brand' that you can carry with you if you expand.

But is it a little pretentious to name a 3 acre backyard barn?

Growing up we always named out houses we lived in, as in; remember at Pleasant Retreat we had.....etc.
    Or the winters at Merry Gallop Stable were cold with that wind coming up over the hill.

Whether it was more than an acre or just a backyard everything got named, heck, we even named the trucks, trailer, cars, its nicer than saying the old '65 chevy you can say, "boy, Gus was a great truck"

I like to name things

It's your place, right? If you want to name it, go for it! There are "barns" out there that only exist on the road and at shows. You at least have your own land. Enjoy naming YOUR place - and your free monograms!
    "Whether you think you can or think you can't, you are right." -Henry Ford

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Default I did

For my 5ac farmette.

And have already gotten 2 monogrammed shirts for myself

Why not?
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Mine is "Now or Never Ranch". And it's small. So what?

I named my little 5 acre place... Even painted a super spiffy sign I did decide not to hang the horse boarding one though... My extra stalls will now be staying open... One for feed, one for shavings, and one for future baby who will be arriving in 2013

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j1...irl24/Sign.jpg

If you want to name it, go ahead and name it. Some people will make fun of you though. I know one woman who has a freakin' logo of her "farm name" on her truck/trailer and she boards her horses and isn't a trainer. I admit we laugh at that.

My place is small and I chose not to name it because people stop all the time and ask if I board or do lessons and I can't imagine how bad it would get if I had a sign out, too! Plus I hear sign vandalism and theft is pretty popular with the kids these days. Most of the boarding barns near me don't have a sign out and I always wondered if that's why...

Default Name it!

I vote for naming it; I did name mine. I worried about people just stopping by if I put a sign out by the road as though my farmette was a boarding barn, so I put my sign by my horse barn so I can enjoy it myself! Enjoy!
    Green Bean Farm

Name it. Bent Barrow Farm is just 1.25 acres!
    My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

Fenway Bartholomule ♥ Arrietty G. Teaspoon Brays Of Our Lives

Yep, I did with my 5 acre farm. Now I get all kinds of crop production, insurance, etc information from NY state addressed to my little 5 acre farm with 2 horses and a dog.

I emailed once to ask them to delete my name and farm. No good. Of course not, I'm dealing with a branch of the government.

I just called last week, got an out of the office message but I did leave a message that I not only had a 5 acre place with the 2 horses and dog but the ONLY product that I had was MANURE and, unfortunately, I had to PAY to have it removed as I was unable to sell it. I did ask them to please call me if they needed further information.

Thus far I haven't heard anything back.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Definitely name your place!! At the very least, it's just fun! And who the heck cares if snobby folks feel you only name big spreads.

When we first moved to Virginia, we bought a small 5-acre spread up in the mountains that had a stream running through it called "Duck Run". We named the place "Duck Run Farm", & my mom painted us an absolutely gorgeous oil-painted mailbox with a flying Mallard. In fact, we took that mailbox with us when we moved, just for posterity.

It certainly wasn't a plantation or a ranch, but it was ours, & we really enjoyed giving it a name. Do what's fun for YOU - not everyone else.

A guy up the road has a small acreage and has some bantams, mini goats, and a mini horse and donk.

He named the place Half Pint Farm. He put out a nice little sign in the front yard.

Why not? It's your home and land. Be happy.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

We always name our homes, cars, etc. I currently live on a defunct chicken farm, in what was once, I ama told, an old chicken coop. We have 3 acres with several foundations of old barn on it. A stream runs through it. We live on the Chicken Liver Spread. It is in a dip downhill and we get no cell service. Officially, we call it The Hollow. Where is The Hollow? On the Chicken Liver Spread.

Makes us happy.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

We named our 3.5 acre farmette. It's the 14 Mile Farm because it's 14 miles north of our old city house (and when we got here we found a USFS 14 mi sign nailed up in the garage).

If you want to name it, go right ahead!

I don't even have a farmette yet and it's named. Heck, I picked the name when I was 10!

Forever Free Farm
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Mine is named "City Limits Farm" we are just outside the city limits, and last yea increased our acreage by more than double when we bought a property adjacent to ours that was for sale ...so now our 3 acres is 7! I dont have a sign up out front, but it's mainly becasue I haven't made one yet...lol. but I do have our farm name embroidered on the fleece dress sheets the horses will be wearing for the horse expo

who cares if people laugh?
    it's your place and your perfect right to name it.
    people who laugh are maybe jealous or mean, and at the very least are silly.

now can we help you come up with a name?!

OK, will name it!

I have 2 in mind.

Wetherburn Farm (simply because we're in a sub called Wetherburn, and we were the first ones here.)
    Witherun Farm (I kind of like this one, because I have 2 OTTB's)

So everyone vote!

For what it's worth, I like your choice of Witherun Farm...
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

I think Witherun Farm is really cute!