The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Hunt Coat Question

I mainly ride in the jumper ring and have 3 different coats that I like to wear, an all black coat, a navy with grey collar and my Just World International blue coat. I would like to sell either the black or the navy, however if I decided to do a hunter class or a medal or equitation class, would the navy with grey collar be acceptable? If so, I will sell the black, if not I will let the navy one go (ohhhh!!! I love them both! Haha!) It's a tough decision!
    TIA!

I'd wear the black in an eq class, not the one with a contrasting collar.

Personally, of course

I would buy a fourth coat, suitable for the eq divisions. If that is not an option, then I guess the black would be best, although the navy sounds more interesting to me. Of course I am from the era where you wore rust breeches, brown boots and tweed jackets in the eq classes, so I don't quite get all this insistance on navy or black only.

I notice the OP is in Canada, do they have a similar dress code as US shows? I ask because she mentions having 3 coats that she wears in the jumper divisions, whereas in the US many show jumpers in just polo shirts unless they are competing in the upper levels.

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

I am from Canada and just did the CET Finals at the Royal this past November in a black jacket I'd keep that one for the equitation, just so long as it's black on black on black with no brass buttons or anything.

However, black isn't really as suited to the hunter ring...to me it looks too harsh or something, unless it's on a shadbelly. You won't be the laughing stock of the show though if you do decide to do a hunter class in a black jacket. I also saw quite a few pros in the hunter ring at Tbird (BC) during WCHR week with contrasting collars...they were pretty big names though so I'm not sure if that's a risk everyone should take.

Usually for the schooling and misc. type classes (anything that's not held on the weekends) I will wear a polo, weekend classes are usually more "formal" I will add pics to see if that helps...

The Black Coat:
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...2130251&type=3

The Navy with Gray:
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...2130251&type=3