The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default SKUNKS!!!!!!!

OK, I've just had it. We have been fighting skunks here at my farm in Kentucky for about 6 months now. They have gotten under the house (we made sure it is sealed), sprayed the dogs, gotten in fights with the small dogs, sprayed under the porch, and generally have really stunk up the whole place. We hired a company that came and set traps. 6 traps, one skunk. They are back again. Does anyone have anything that keeps them away. Any ideas???

6 months is not so long. Been 15 years for us.

Skunk breeding starts this month. More will be on the move, and in the mood for romance.

I bought a small and larger trap as a set at TSC.

Know your enemy. Read up on the internet.

I had had it also with the skunks. Only way to rid them of bothering you is to trap them.

I have trapped 3 in the past couple weeks, and 2 epm makers (possums).

Every skunk was shot. First one had 10 bullets, second had 4 bullets, and third one was shot dead in the head. ALL SMELLED. After shooting in the trap from a distance mind you, right away get it out of the trap and dispose. The smell is awful.

But rewarding or they will come back. No safe way hardly to turn it out elsewhere, or beware of being sprayed.

I used my 7" trap to catch them.

We have had our dogs sprayed once, horses also have been sprayed. Then many times we have had "guests" in the barn, and all of course everything was sprayed. They also let out skunk fart warnings, those smell bad too.

Trap, shoot them dead.

You can pay a trapper to get them off your property. One friend had a guy catch 25.

The females tend to burrow together in the winter, so I think I caught three females. No more babies for them or us.

For bait I used shredded cheddar cheese, dry dog food, cut up turkey. The bait is the key. Leave a trail of dog food to the cage, then as the reward the cheese and meat and some more dog food. Beware they will dig all kinds of dirt up into the trap. Messy. But we are happy to be rid of these.

Oh, the neighbor just a 1/4 mile down the road had three skunks burrow into his dryer vent and under the house and of course sprayed. He had to repair the entire dryer vent. This was a couple few weeks ago. So that is 6 + skunks for a really small area. Of course they are all over the roads here too.

Keep things closed up.

Good luck!

Default Skunks

Oh, that was depressing.
    We have a person who is supposed to trap them but so far we have only gotten one skunk and 4 neighborhood cats that we let out right away. Boy did they explode out of the trap!

So no one has a skunk repellant?

Oh dear....

I've had such a problem with them, too. The wildlife rescue people told me that since skunks are nomadic, there wasn't much advantage in killing/trapping them since new skunks would just fill their places.

Skunks really dislike the smell of ammonia. Each night I soaked rags with ammonia and placed them in the areas where the skunks were hanging out, and that really helped drive them away.

Keeping pests such as raccoons, skunks and opossums out of your buildings is one of the less fun realities of owning a farm. Yes, trapping and shooting works, but it isn't like you can do it for one season and then be through with it. What are you using for bait? You might need different bait to make your traps more attractive.

I do think that once current inhabitants are removed you will have an easier time with things. But that might take some time.

The main thing I would add is DO NOT release your trapped skunks somewhere else. This can cause the spread of disease and also makes them someone else's problem.

Catch and move them!! I recommend a skunk tube!

Just to update. Several sites have recommended putting moth balls under the house. We haven't tried this yet as I'm not sure the dogs would leave them alone. Also another site said to light up the outside of the house since these are nocturnal animals. My husband bought a bunch of the solar landscape lights and we are putting some around the darker areas of the yard to see if that helps. I'll keep you updated on our progress. I'm just glad I'm working out of town this week. Poor DH is really beside himself. I hope the lights work because that is really cheap.

I am in suburban Lexington KY, with a big backyard- every year when the weather warms (usually march/april not feb) there are skunks in our neighborhood. Trap them, shoot them- whatever works. Mind you, I am a tree-hugging animal lover, but skunks and possums are my limit, they are pestilent, not useful.

Not to be negative, but I don't think solar landscape lights are going to make a dent in your issue. I feel for you, because like mickey I'm an animal lover and I really hate this aspect of farm life.

Jay0087, trapping and relocating wildlife is illegal. I think it is a natural idea for animal lovers to think of, but even people who work to protect wildlife will tell you not to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by redhorse5 View Post
    Just to update. Several sites have recommended putting moth balls under the house. We haven't tried this yet as I'm not sure the dogs would leave them alone. Also another site said to light up the outside of the house since these are nocturnal animals. My husband bought a bunch of the solar landscape lights and we are putting some around the darker areas of the yard to see if that helps. I'll keep you updated on our progress. I'm just glad I'm working out of town this week. Poor DH is really beside himself. I hope the lights work because that is really cheap.
    Mothballs work for all manner of varmits, BUT the odor must linger. Works great in the tackroom to keep mice out of the blankets. Not sure if under the house would work....might take a lot of mothballs.

I have a question. If trapping and relocating is illegal then how can the companies that claim to do this operate? It seems likely that with advertising anyone would catch them.

With our drought, skunks have been moving into town more than normal.
    Skunks are our main rabies reservoir in wild animals, along with coons and so now we have had many cases of rabid cats, dogs and even horses.

Best not to leave anything for them to eat, keep everything closed up, where they can't find places to hide or nest and where you know they are, keep disturbing them so they go away.

I have a question. If trapping and relocating is illegal then how can the companies that claim to do this operate? It seems likely that with advertising anyone would catch them.
    This may vary by state. Nonetheless, relocating wildlife is not a good option. I'm sure that there are some wildlife websites out there that can give the details.

I have peeps besides my horses. One night last winter put the old guy in his stall for the night it was just around dusk. I looked past him near his water bucket and said that is not a hen/peep. Dang it was a skunk in his stall with him and me. I started to yell for it to get out and get out now. My pony normally does what I ask of him just looked at me, must of rolled his eyes thinking , god she has lost it again, I am not going out. The little skunk looked at me and with a glance left, must of thought dang this women messed up a good egg hunt.

Always got along with that little skunk.

Go to your states .gov website and then query under DNR a search for "nuisance wildlife". That should give you some species links and possibly a FAQ section. Ultimately you will find common ways to encourage the little stinkers to leave. There should also be a "what to do next" link that will get you to contact information for permits (if needed) to trap and /or dispose.

We had good results using moth balls. A family had set up residence under our pool shed. I tossed a couple of handfuls under the shed and they did move out.
    Your yard will smell like granny's attic for a while but it's better than skunk!
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." --Ghandi