The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Chronic intermittent diarrhea

I have a mare who has had chronic loose manure for years - however, it is totally intermittent and sporadic....
    Over the years she has been on a variety of diets but nothing makes a difference in the diarrhea. Type of hay, grain, grass, supplements don't matter.
    She can pass normal manure and then watery diarrhea from one poop to the next, then back to normal again. Her stall generally has mostly normal manure with one or two watery piles each morning. Sometimes when being tacked up she will pass one pile of normal manure and sometimes when being tacked up she can pass up to 6 piles of manure, each getting waterier. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to why. She usually only passes one pile of manure while being ridden.
    She has been fully treated for gastric ulcers twice (and hind gut ulcers once) and she currently lives on a low starch pellet, first cut grass hay and Succeed, Uckele G.U.T., smart muscle stamina, natural E and selenium for supplements.
    She goes out in the pasture with her girlfriend for ~6-8 hours/day.
    She gets Legend, Adequan, chiro and massage monthly.
    She has a very good saddle that gets fitted ~4 times/year.
    She has her teeth done regularly.
    She is very well shod and is a sound horse.
    She has been tested for EPSM, Lyme, Vit E, and insulin resistance.
    She is ridden by a professional and is ridden kindly and has a good relationship with her rider. She does work hard (FEI horse) but is not pushed past her abilities or fitness.
    She is a highly sensitive, emotional mare who wants to be good but must be handled/ridden in a way that works for her.

Does anyone have any ideas about what could be causing the intermittent diarrhea?? It's not just centered around the riding and it randomly goes back and forth between being normal and watery...

Thanks!

You are not alone! I have been dealing with the exact same scenario for about two years now. I could have copied your post exactly - have tried all the things you did without success. I just posted about Ritezyme. My vet has recommended it. I am 45 days into using Succeed paste and have definately seen some improvement - but has not cured the whole situation. I am going to finish the first three months as recommended and see where we are. Have you ever tried Ritezyme?

My pony had that problem. My vet recommended using psyllium for two months and she hasn't had a wet stool since.

I too have a mare that would on occasion produce watery manure. I did psyllium for sand. Nope Considered ulcers...tho that did not seem to fit. Diet did not matter. She is such a sweet natured girl I was beginning to wonder if maybe she had other health issues as just not showing signs of pain. She seemed sluggish but not really colic. Banamine eased her sluggishness. Wet manure episodes would go away only to return a couple wks or so later.

Then it finally dawned on me...tho my brain was rather slow I admit cuz it took the better part of a riding season. Each and every occured when she was coming into heat AND a big weather change.

We made afew changes last year. But honestly so late in the season I really can not say if they were of benefit truly. But this year I at least have the knowledge of why. The what to do to handle it has yet to completely be ironed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Topaz View Post
    My pony had that problem. My vet recommended using psyllium for two months and she hasn't had a wet stool since.
    I was curious as to the reason for the psyllium. Sand clean out? Or other?

If you haven't tried a full month of psyllium I would start there. If that doesn't work, then I would do a Power Pak. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by D Taylor View Post
    I was curious as to the reason for the psyllium. Sand clean out? Or other?
    I think it was sand, but I can't quite remember. I was on pain killers from a surgery at the time we had this conversation so my memory is a little foggy.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have not tried Ritezyme. Will look into that.
    She has been on Succeed for years now. Made a huge difference in her ulcer related issues but it hasn't touched the diarrhea. After being on it for about 1.5 years, I took her off it and within 6 weeks her ulcers came back. She will never go off it again!
    I am curious about the psyllium. Is it being fed for sand issues? We have no sand here, just LOTS of clay.
    I will certainly try a powerpak. She hasn't had one of those in years.

Quote Originally Posted by ticofuzzy View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I have not tried Ritezyme. Will look into that.
    She has been on Succeed for years now. Made a huge difference in her ulcer related issues but it hasn't touched the diarrhea. After being on it for about 1.5 years, I took her off it and within 6 weeks her ulcers came back. She will never go off it again!
    I am curious about the psyllium. Is it being fed for sand issues? We have no sand here, just LOTS of clay.
    I will certainly try a powerpak. She hasn't had one of those in years.
    I guess that is why I questioned D Topaz as some say psyllium is good for mucus production in the gut. A former vet of mine (now retired) was very against using psyllium for this. For sand treatment ok tho.

I wish my vet wasn't on vacation so I could ask her specifics. My pony was living on clay, not sand, so either a) it was for sand just in case there was some or b) some other reason that I have no way of divining without a ton of research I don't have the time to do right now.

my horse is experiencing the exact same thing now for 5 yrs.will be interesting to see more reply posts to this..will be following this thread.

I have been dealing with chronic intermittent diarrhea in my aged pony since he arrived (almost two years ago). He's been on multiple pro and pre biotics, as well as Biosponge. He has been regularly dewormed (including power packed), teeth dealt with (he has all his teeth), treated with Psyllium Pellets (which he hated and I had to trick him with yummy stuff to get him to take the stuff).

He recently took a turn for the worse (I was very concerned for him)---though he himself never became symptomatic of anything (never missing a meal, never colicy and never any specific NEW issues)--but seriously squirty diarrhea. I was about to ask for metronidazole when my vet said to give the sand treatment another shot---I was a little skeptical but went ahead and started him on this and overnight his gassy, squirty, diarrhea is gone. No idea what part of this product is working but he looks SUPER (and DRY TAILED for the first time in two years) and Im so pleased---fingers and toes crossed it keeps working!!! He literally came with diarrhea and does do significantly better when very little or no hay is given (he is able to eat it-it just doesn't agree with his delicate aging gut)--fortunately he has access to sufficient pasture grass year round-and does get a small amount of easier to digest senior feed.

My instant thought was sand. I had a foal with the same problem and diagnostic tests revealed a lot of sand.
    The Inverted Y
    Anglo Arabian Sporthorses
    2005 and 2007 USEF Breeder of the Year.
    www.allanglos.net

Hundreds of half priced champion stallions
    www.SHNpayback.org

My mare had this problem last winter. She's never had any digestive issues or ulcers and there was no change of any kind in her feed or routine. My vet recommended a yeast supplement. That did the trick. I kept her on it for several months to make sure. This winter she's been fine.