The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Derid View Post
    Armed forces (?) .... would the rule extend to US Customs & Border Protection and Border Protrol officers?
    The USEF rules mention Armed Forces and police. The term "police" is broad enough to cover Customs and Border Patrol who do "policing" activities. You'd have to go through your chain of command for approval.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Quote Originally Posted by atlatl View Post
    Ahoy Mike!

I can't tell from the picture if you are a "shoe" a "porkchop" or an "airedale"?

Inquiring minds want to know.

"Restricted Line Officer" (Intel)
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Quote Originally Posted by Weighaton View Post
    I must say that you look incredibly sharp in your uniform. As a navy brat I am impressed.
    Thank you!

You are not too bad-looking. Although I'd recommend losing the moustache. Get a goatee or a soul patch instead.

Quote Originally Posted by AlterHorse123 View Post
    You are not too bad-looking. Although I'd recommend losing the moustache. Get a goatee or a soul patch instead.
    Neither of the latter two are allowed while in the military, or while in uniform. It's a mustache or nothing. So he's keeping with the US Military's rules and regulations by wearing a mustache, something he's required to do as a reservist.

Quote Originally Posted by devildogtigress View Post
    Neither of the latter two are allowed while in the military, or while in uniform. It's a mustache or nothing. So he's keeping with the US Military's rules and regulations by wearing a mustache, something he's required to do as a reservist.
    I hate those rules. :-P

I hate those rules. :-P
    Yes, well...it's all about good order and discipline. But hey, that's the Marine Corps in me talking.

And thus my screen name: devildogtigress a Devil Dog is the name given to Marines. I have a bit of a temper (even more so when I was younger) and my husband started calling me a devildog tigress due to my temper. It was meant to be a compliment. It's stuck and 10+ years later, I'm still using it.

Not to hijack the thread but is a Devil Dog anything like a Honey Badger? lol.

As a funny aside Mike, don't know if you are a Captain Hornblower fan, but my DH, Retired Navy Reservist as well, thinks you look quite sharp. However, when he saw you astride in uniform, he said he couldn't help but think of Capt. Hornblower trying to ride a donkey or horse for the first time :-)
    He was attached with the Marines for several years and he said he always thought that their Class A uniform would look quite sharp too.

Goatee or soul patch??? HUGE GAG ON THAT IDEA!
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.GMan View Post
    As a funny aside Mike, don't know if you are a Captain Hornblower fan, but my DH, Retired Navy Reservist as well, thinks you look quite sharp. However, when he saw you astride in uniform, he said he couldn't help but think of Capt. Hornblower trying to ride a donkey or horse for the first time :-)
    He was attached with the Marines for several years and he said he always thought that their Class A uniform would look quite sharp too.

There have been a couple of Marines who have competed in uniform. No surprise, but they look sharper than any of the rest of us competing in uniform!

Cool Well shucks!

I guess if I'd only known, it would have been worth sticking it out a little longer...OK, not really. But just to be clear, the way it currently sits, I cannot use my uniform? I am an honorably discharged veteran officer, but I am not RETIRED (I served my time commitment, but due to many issues like too many horses, a newborn son, and some developing health problems, I got out after 4 years active).

So by "retired" do they mean Retired after 20+ years or simply honorably discharged officers?

(It would be so awesome if I could, as I have a great set of Dress Blues that I'll never otherwise wear, and no good show coat...and what, like I could look any more out of place than I already do on my palomino spotty gaited mare?)

Not "too bad-looking"?? Can you say left-handed compliment?

Mike, you look absolutely splendid!

GO NAVY!

Yes, you have to be active duty or retired to compete in uniform. Once you are discharged you can no longer wear the uniform.