The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default USEF Armed Forces Attire

Can someone clarify this for me? It's about as clear as mud. It states that members of the armed forces may wear their uniform of their service in competition. My husband and I are Marine Corps veterans. Does this mean we could wear our uniforms? Or only active? As the modern day uniforms in the branches (with a few exceptions) are not riding clothes, how does this work with boots?

Nope, not planning on doing this even if we qualify as honorably discharged veterans, but I saw it as I was reading through the handbook and it caught my attention.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Are you both retired officers?
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Don't know where the rule is but what I've seen in practice is white breeches and regular riding boots topped with your dress uniform "blouse" and hard billed hat or helmet. Saw one Air Force gal once ride with her "piss-cutter" hat; looked ridiculous.

As a retired U.S. Navy reservist, I have competed in service dress attire for dressage. The two changes are white breeches and black boots. Now that helmets are required in dressage competitions, you can no longer rider in your regulation cover.

Photo of me at a show:

http://a1.twimg.com/profile_images/3...alpurgis.3.JPG

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

P.S. I helped write those "clear as mud" rules for Armed Forces attire in the dressage section of the USEF rule book.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

I think that is so cool. especially since most equestrian sports were directed to the military...
    Last edited by ivy62; Feb. 2, 2012 at 11:26 PM.
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

I love the uniform....and the crowd would too!!! (and maybe the judge as well)

And just a clarification. Military riders don't have to wear white breeches. An Army officer friend of mine had customized cavalry breeches made to go with his blouse, similar to this rider:

http://www.dressage-news.com/wp-cont...r-9T5U5108.jpg

I chose white breeches because the Navy has a uniform called Service Dress Yankee which has white pants.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Okay, so is this limited to active or retired officers only? No honorably discharged veterans or veteran/active enlisted? It wasn't quite clear in the regulations. My husband was asking. He served 9 years enlisted, and has just completed his bachelors and is seeking a commission...so he's been questioning me on this today when I mentioned it to him. He wanted to know if he'd have to wait, or if he qualifies now.

Active or retired military; officers or enlisted. Per regulations, retired military can still wear their uniform for "special occasions" and equestrian competitions fall under this. If your husband gets his commission, he will need to get approval to compete in uniform attire through his chain of command. It should be pretty straight forward as others are doing it. I can provide a copy of my paperwork to him to use as a template when he is ready. Just PM me. Retired military do not need to go through the chain of command as the "special occasions" regulation covers them.

Fantastic! That's for explaining that for me. :-)

Looking forward to seeing another Armed Forces rider in military attire!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Matson View Post
    Active or retired military; officers or enlisted. Per regulations, retired military can still wear their uniform for "special occasions" and equestrian competitions fall under this. If your husband gets his commission, he will need to get approval to compete in uniform attire through his chain of command. It should be pretty straight forward as others are doing it. I can provide a copy of my paperwork to him to use as a template when he is ready. Just PM me. Retired military do not need to go through the chain of command as the "special occasions" regulation covers them.
    What about Reserves? I've toyed with the idea for years, even brought it up to a SFC in the unit, who thought I was nuts. Now I'm itching again... I'd love to have a copy for a template.

Ahoy Mike!

I can't tell from the picture if you are a "shoe" a "porkchop" or an "airedale"?

Inquiring minds want to know.

I must say that you look incredibly sharp in your uniform. As a navy brat I am impressed.

Armed forces (?) .... would the rule extend to US Customs & Border Protection and Border Protrol officers?

Well at FEI Klaus Balkenhol rode in his Police Dress uniform. Looked fabulous BTW!
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

You look wonderful and I like the white breeches better than the custom made riding pant. Love the look. Would it be proper to have a helmet cover made to look like your cap?

that's pretty freakin' cool. (mike's pic)

Quote Originally Posted by Heliodoro View Post
    What about Reserves? I've toyed with the idea for years, even brought it up to a SFC in the unit, who thought I was nuts. Now I'm itching again... I'd love to have a copy for a template.
    The answer is yes. I was reservist when I competed. Several others I know were too. PM me if you want a copy of my approval paperwork.

Quote Originally Posted by jbonifas View Post
    You look wonderful and I like the white breeches better than the custom made riding pant. Love the look. Would it be proper to have a helmet cover made to look like your cap?
    That would be difficult. Better to go with a nice stylish helmet. Won't be quite the same, but got to roll with the rules!