The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation lets talk, break the silence

Febuary is mental illness awareness month, its not a horsey topic but one that needs to be disscussed. There is way too much stigma around mental illness, people not being able to say something is what makes it worse.

Some get to the point of suicide before thinking of saying something, its sad that it makes the issues worse not dissapear.

After yet another local tragedy, the roh( royal ottawa hospital for mental illness) and the friends and parents of the teen set up

Www.doitfordaron.com

they have raised over a millon and are working with school boards to help others suffering in silence.

I am not ashamed to say i have a axiety disorder.

Lets talk. Raise awareness
    Beyond the Ring-para dressage, training, coaching
    www.facebook.com/btrparadressage

Proud Team Four Star Minion! Renegade for Life!

Given this board's tendancy towards what-the-fruitbat-my XYZ-at-the-barn-is-mentally-unstable threads AND given our support to a borderline suicidal member one extended Off Topic Day, I think this topic can get and stay horse related very quickly.

Gotta run to work. People who are online, this might be a good place to post links to relevant threads on the Equestrians with Disabilities threads that many people haven't seen. And folk's experiences being supported or supporting barn members whose horses help them deal with mental illness.
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

I think the horse industry is a place where you might find more people with mental issues - because it is a place where you are dealing less frequently with people in general, say compared to an office environment; you are not in a 9 to 5 environment in general where you have to act a certain way and "fit in". What I mean is, there used to be a joke in racing - that the fence wasn't to keep the public out but to keep some of the people in. It's often enough where you can see people who can't cope with our version of "normal" who are able to make a living doing hands-on work with horses.
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

My mother, daughter, a sister and a brother all have struggled with depression. I often joke about my therapist living in my barn but it is absolutely true. I honestly don't think I'd be able to cope without horses in my life.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

I have an anxiety disorder too -- panic attacks. I take meds for it, but I really find my zen at the barn. I hope others on this board get the same peace from horses that I do.

Horse people are CRAZY!!!

People with chemical and neurological imbalances are not crazy, that is the exact stigma people face when trying to come to terms and find help for their problems.

The troubles of the world always fade away on the back of a horse.

But that doesn't mean just going to the barn for your zen moments are enough, if you're having a problem that interferes in your enjoyment of day to day life it's time to talk to your doctor.
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

We just opened up the OT forum, so we moved this thread there so folks can talk freely about the topic within the "rules."

Thanks ~
    Mod 1

I was diagnosed by my general practitioner as having an anxiety disorder and I quickly decided he was wrong and never went to see him, or a therapist for that matter, again... Probably because of that negative stigma you mentioned. I have nothing against anyone who takes medicine or seeks therapy, I just don't want to do it...

ETA: First one here - I win!
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Quote Originally Posted by OveroHunter View Post
    I was diagnosed by my general practitioner as having an anxiety disorder and I quickly decided he was wrong and never went to see him, or a therapist for that matter, again... Probably because of that negative stigma you mentioned. I have nothing against anyone who takes medicine or seeks therapy, I just don't want to do it...

ETA: First one here - I win!
    I totally get that. I was diagnosed with ADHD, OCD, and anxiety/depression. I've never felt comfortable talking about it, mainly because of the "crazy" mentality and the fact that I'm still a teenager. I'm not nuts, I'm just... speshul?

I actually can't take medicine for anything (and the ADHD is the only thing bad enough for it to really be merited... I am apparently off the chart), but after side effects from just about everything, we gave up and decided I'd just continue being my slightly erratic self. It's worked out just fine so far
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

This is so timely, and as much as I encourage others, I wish family and friends would consider counseling more. Just ended a fairly long personal relationship. Just returned yesterday from my last trip to pick up the rest of my things - has taken several months. We have remained friends, and he has suggested how hurt he is, but he is continuing a lifestyle full of crises, must have them central to his life, and medicate. I required 2 things - 1)once and for all an apology for the last time he lit into me, and 2) that he begin to seek counseling. We had so many things in common, loads of things in common - even including horses - were actually together 24/7 most of the time as we also worked together. We were so easy with each other - except for the exchanges which became more frequent, and more hurtful. And as I walked out that door yesterday, I just kept thinking "please get help, please get help".

Although my mother condemned it, I have to praise the counselors I have sought out over the years -from not being able to cope in college, to having to deal with issues in my marriage, to visits with my son while he was struggling in high school. It really doesn't have to mean you're "on the couch" for years and years. And, in fact, I haven't needed any meds, but counseling has certainly been a positive. And one must be careful - I have run across a couple of lemons - they are out there (one that would call around midnight regularly to set up appts?), or you might just not jive personality wise.

But having a good counselor, that listens to your entire story, can keep things in perspective, encourage you in your efforts, teach you how to handle adversity, and see the big picture for what it is, has been my saving grace. I've only had to go in for a tune up on rare occasions over recent years, but I feel blessed now with wisdom, while I see those I care about (including all siblings older than I am) continue to struggle, or be mad at the world. Actually one who finally had to seek counseling due to a tragedy in her family, and I are much closer - we "get it" together. Brother has just had a life altering experience, and he appears to be heading in the right direction as rigid and difficult as he could be. If only last sister would stop sniping and being so judgmental. She's often unhappy, and won't accept any of this. But as above, perhaps another who must live around crises.

As I just wrote someone the other night, I have an 8year old Thoroughbred to give me crises. I don't need anymore.

If anyone is giving you a hard time about seeking assistance - please give it a shot - amazing the resilience you can gain, including facing those who think otherwise.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

This is such perfect timing. I was diagnosed with severe depression about 10 years ago (in middle school). I've seen psychologists/psychiatrists on and off through the years, but havent been in about 4 years.

Until today. I've been feeling terrible and having mental breakdowns/freak outs every few weeks. So I finally went back to my psychologist today. We're making a plan and I feel slightly better already.

I'm so glad to be going, but my boss is really being a pain in my rear about taking PTO for appointments. I'm not ashamed of my depression, but I dont exactly want everyone in my workplace to know about it...
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Nes View Post
    People with chemical and neurological imbalances are not crazy, that is the exact stigma people face when trying to come to terms and find help for their problems.
    Well said.

Have you had an MRI? It might be worth it.

I have been diagnosed with chronic depression and anxiety. I have been battling it for almost 5 years now on and off and I am proud to say that I think I am finally winning the battle.

The biggest struggle I have encountered with other people is that they don't understand that it is an actual medical condition. They are under the impression that I am just sad and need to be happy. When I explain to them that it is actually caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain, they look at me like I'm insane (pun intended ). I 100% agree that there needs to be much more awareness among the general public for mental disorders!!
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

That is FABULOUS!!! Winning the battle with safe chemistry is GREAT.

But if folks have tried various antidepression meds & haven't gotten relief, & have then be told they need MORE meds, insist on an MRI. And have a GOOD neurologist look at it - not just the hospital radiologist.

Sadly - been there, done that - in spades.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    That is FABULOUS!!! Winning the battle with safe chemistry is GREAT.
    Thanks for the support . It really means a lot coming from people who understand how hard the battle really is.

FWIW my successful medication regimen includes 20mg Lexapro, 1mg Ativan as needed, and a large bay Selle Francais gelding
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Quote Originally Posted by dani0303 View Post

FWIW my successful medication regimen includes 20mg Lexapro, 1mg Ativan as needed, and a large bay Selle Francais gelding

how do you fit him in the pill bottle??

Quote Originally Posted by HorsesinHaiti View Post
    Given this board's tendancy towards what-the-fruitbat-my XYZ-at-the-barn-is-mentally-unstable
    Agree - lots of "fun" at the expense of others.

Well, since others are opening up...I have bipolar disorder. It's definitely treated as a taboo subject among lots of people I know, so I don't really talk about it with family or friends...it's kind of like "that which we don't speak of," unfortunately. But I was lucky I met a guy with a severe anxiety disorder who gets it...he became a good friend and it's been a huge help having him to talk to.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05