The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Well, I skipped out on classes yesterday morning and went on the time of my life. I went hunting with a friend of mine because she was riding her young (4 y.o.) horse and so her experienced hunter was free for the day.

Hounds were cast at 8:00 a.m. and they practically came off the trailor at full cry. Off we went! after about 45 minutes of hard galloping with no breathers, we had our first kill! They caught a coyote. They brought it up, and the huntsman asked if it was anyone's first kill. Caroline was kind enough to inform everyone that it was my first kill and that my friend who took me hadn't been blooded on her first. All the staff started yelling "ON YOUR KNEES!!!!" I was dismounting and my friend was already off and the hounds went at full cry again. So we all jumped back on our horses, skipped the blooding ceremony and ran hard for about 2 or 3 more hours. Most of what we hunted through had no trails, just lots of trees and thorns. Couldn't have been better!!!!

We ran first flight. There was the First whip, then Caroline ( who knows the territory better than anyone) then me. IT WAS AWESOME!!!

~Keeping the Faith~
    Stephanie and Foxy

[This message was edited by Foxygrl516 on Nov. 17, 2003 at 11:04 PM.]

Well, I skipped out on classes yesterday morning and went on the time of my life. I went hunting with a friend of mine because she was riding her young (4 y.o.) horse and so her experienced hunter was free for the day.

Hounds were cast at 8:00 a.m. and they practically came off the trailor at full cry. Off we went! after about 45 minutes of hard galloping with no breathers, we had our first kill! They caught a coyote. They brought it up, and the huntsman asked if it was anyone's first kill. Caroline was kind enough to inform everyone that it was my first kill and that my friend who took me hadn't been blooded on her first. All the staff started yelling "ON YOUR KNEES!!!!" I was dismounting and my friend was already off and the hounds went at full cry again. So we all jumped back on our horses, skipped the blooding ceremony and ran hard for about 2 or 3 more hours. Most of what we hunted through had no trails, just lots of trees and thorns. Couldn't have been better!!!!

We ran first flight. There was the First whip, then Caroline ( who knows the territory better than anyone) then me. IT WAS AWESOME!!!

~Keeping the Faith~
    Stephanie and Foxy

I'm glad you had such a great time!

Personally, I don't ever want to experience a kill. Then again, in Virginny the quarry are foxes (I love foxes). I might feel differently about coyotes, however, since the populations tend to get out of control and they can actually pose a threat to pets and livestock. Better a death by hounds than being hit by a car or being wounded by some yahoo with a shotgun and no tracking skill (or inclination).

On the other hand, we are encroaching on their homes with our suburban sprawl, etc.

Ugh, what a tough issue; good arguments on both sides.

For me it is all about the thrill of the chase

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.

I know what you mean. It is kinda sad, but that is the sport. The best part wasn't that they killed the coyote, it was just that we had such a great chase all day. i could "hunt" for hours on a chase and be perfectly happy if nothing was ever touched. I think the blooding and all made me feel like I was being initiated into something secret (as silly as that sounds). haha. It was like I'm a real foxhunter now. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

Did I mention in my above post that I have never been so sore in my life?!?!?!?

~Keeping the Faith~
    Stephanie and Foxy

I feel your pain! It was only the residual adrenaline that kept me on my feet the next day!

This Sunday is my second hunt - Monday may well be a lost cause.

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.

I've been hunting for 15 years...we chase, i've never seen a kill, or celebrated one, though I know they've occurred.

Glad you had a good time, but for some reason this is making me cringe (shudder)

Been hunting all of my nearly 38 years on earth, been on exactly 2 hunts where there was a kill (one a fox - my first time in VA. - with Melvin Poe, no less! and one a coyote with Hillsboro in Tennessee.) Oooops - make that 3 - Old Dominion Hounds had the fastest best day in that wild wind storm yesterday and durned if they didn't run Mr. Reynard down and, ooops. Oh well, let's call it natural selection. He hesitated when he shouldn't'a. It does sound odd in the retelling but it really is an HONOR to be present with gallant quarry and hunters in the splendor of the protected natural lands astride a horse who enjoys it as much as we do. From the point of view of having watched plenty of foxes loll around, yawning, while the hounds feather around bumbling for the scent on a dry day, I know perfectly well how much they enjoy playing 'wily', too. Sorry Mr. Fox, yesterday you played your hand too close ...

Though some may say, and I'll agree, that only God can make a tree.
    Before God thought of trees its said, his mind was on the Thoroughbred.
    -- Paul Mellon
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

Foxygrl516 -

Glad you had such a great time.

One suggestion...and in making this, I will likely get jumped on...but I will go ahead and make it anyway.

Would you consider changing the name of this thread from its current title of "My first kill!"?

I only considered asking because in your second post it sounds as though the thrill for you was in the chase not the kill.

Indeed, for most foxhunters, the thrill is in the chase, and many folks I know are rooting for the fox/coyote. IMHO, the title in its current format misrepresents the sport.

As I said before, I am likely to get jumped on for bringing this up. Believe me, I have heard (and myself made) all the arguments and discussions before, so no problem. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif I am an avid (non-drag) foxhunter myself.

Hope you continue hunting. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

well said, whistlejacket. amen!

Foxygrl516, way to have a great time! Many happy returns! As for your post title:

Don't let the Disney crowd rule. The health of the varmit population, according to Darwin, depends on culling. I belive this is so. If not us, then who? We and our kind have created habitable land from the forests and grasslands. Then these varmits move in... they were not there in the forests and grasslands in great number before we made this new habitat with all the edges and prey species habitat. We made this habitat, now we need to manage the populations that follow us here. I don't relish the kill; I honor nature, the hounds, the hunt, and the participants.

Its neat that you got to participate in this event!

unfortunately the public doesnt see it that way Delphi. If your argument worked to convince the general public that we are out there for the chase, There wouldnt be thousands upon thousands of Horses, hounds and humans about to lose what they love most in England.
    I agree...the title should change.

Doesn't the MFHA discourage the blooding ceremony (and have for a decade or more), or am I wrong about that?
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.

<<Would you consider changing the name of this thread from its current title of "My first kill!"?>>

Agreed. Title is most creepy.

* lost tb *

Lurking over from the dressage forum. Yes, your title sure caught my attention! I'm glad other hunter people are asking you to change the title, but I am still disturbed by the ritual that you mentioned in your first post.....being put on your knees and having what, blood of the poor animal splashed all over you? That sounds very disturbing.

However, I can see people chasing rabitts and such in a hunt. Thats no different than what a rifle style hunter does. But a coyote.. you can't eat it, I am sure you wouldn't want to make a pelt out of it... so why would you hunt it?

It's barbaric, especially the "blooding Ceremony"

less hard work, more fine dining.
    www.dancinglawnhorses.com

If guys can do it, how hard can it be?
    LESS HARD WORK, MORE FINE DINING!™
    complicate, obfuscate, prevaricate.

YoungFilly writes:
    <<<.....being put on your knees and having what, blood of the poor animal splashed all over you? That sounds very disturbing.>>>

"Blooding" is nothing like that and some hunts dont do it at all. It's traditionally been a "rite of passage" so to speak. My club never makes a huge ceremony around it and CERTAINLY blood is NEVER splashed all over a person!! Members are merely dabbed w/a small smear of blood on each cheek, there is no getting down on ones' knees.

Unfortunately kills "do" happen, but that is not the usual. Why would a hunt want to kill the member of the chase that has provided them with such good sport? The first season I hunted, our hounds went out 74 times and we had a total of 4 foxes who met their demise. Three of those four were mangey and in pretty rough shape. They would have died a pretty miserable death had they not been dispensed of as quickly as they were. The fourth fox made a very unfortunate mistake and ran into a blocked silo.

Since foxhunting is such an old sport, that sticks to traditional customs, many ways of doing things have remained the same. Blooding is NOT meant to be barbaric, it is done in honor of the spirit of the animal.

www.artistichandstudio.com/tylerspage.jpg

Where Blondes DO Have More Fun!
    Lost in the Land of the Know It Alls

in december of 99 an extremely stupid coyote picked fight over flight. the first I observed after about 8 years of hunting. I prefer the sport to the blood but it happens on occasion.
    more hay, less grain

It's called fox hunting... not fox chasing or fox watching. I am not saying that the goal is a kill, but I would expect it happens on occassion.

GA Clique/Drafties Clique
    Live Large- Ride a Drafty!

At the risk of upset, I have to say that going hunting but not wanting to deal with the potential death of the quarry is a tad short-sighted.

Comes with the territory, no? Surely if you want to avoid the kill, don't hunt? (But I do realise that hunting in the USA is a very different thing to the UK version)

Well I for one would love to be in on accounting for the quarry. I have been foxhunting for years now and have only been on one hunt where quarry was accounted for.

The MFHA frowns on blooding - but ceremonies such as this have been practiced for thousands of years by different cultures grateful for a successful hunt - such as my American Indian ancestors. It seems strange to those who have been raised in artificial environments and to people who always have their meal come out of a box but there is great reverence and appreciation of a hunt where you are able to master an animal who is competing with you for food just as there is in the hunt of an animal who provides you with food to live for another day.

The coddled , the soft, the city folk can not and will not understand ( nor should they ) the thrill of the hunt and the accounting for of game. Foxhunting in its present form is far removed from the basic struggle of man against nature but for some of us it raises something inside, something that you may not have known existed in you that is part of human nature. We were created to have dominion over the Earth and its creatures and fullfilling the puporse for which we were created still gives rise to deep feelings in those of us that are still capable of them and that do not have our minds numbed by the din of the politically correct babble of the weak and the laziness of MC meals.