The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default FRP Trailer needs some repairs....Would you buy it?

Ok so have new truck - check. Have new horse - check. On the hunt for the ever elusive used/affordable 2-3 horse gn.

Found one I adore as it's a 1995 Collin-Arndt All american. It's in good condition and its made of FRP. This is great because I currently own and will sell or trade in my 2 horse 1993 Collin Arndt All American 2 horse bp w/out dressing room. Apples to apples right? Wrong.

The gooseneck has an area where the interior sidewall has been delaminated. We know how to do a short term fix, right now it's a question of the long term fix and the costs involved.

Pics are here:

http://s103.photobucket.com/albums/m...irl/Gooseneck/

You can see the "issue" on the right stall's back wall under the window. The bad seal job on the window caused it, and it's clear that we need to swap out the frp.

One other idea that was posed to me was to remove the frp walls from the trailer doors back and replace with new marine ply and aluminum sheeting. Parts costs would be low, labor.... unknown. But we could save up and do both sides and ward off the future next "soft" side this way.

I have a deposit on this trailer and am truly thinking it's worth it, but I want to ask the folks who know more than me.

Any and all FRP stories are welcome.

And I did pose this to the guys at Lanchester and Frank DiBella's too.

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

Semi trailers made from FRP (fiberglass reinforced plywood) depend on the side sheets for lengthwise strength. They depend on the side of the trailer being in one piece.

I'm not familiar with this particular trailer, but I would make sure that it would still be structurally sound if a side was pieced together.

Tom,

Thanks for the reply. If we did the repair it would only be done as a solid wall piece. We wouldn't be doing smaller area patches.

Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

since you mentioned Lanchester trailers, guessing you are in Pa? We have a 1996 FRP w/LQ, still looks brand new. We recently upgraded the windows and had a small repair done on the rear door at Shetron in shippensburg, Pa their number is 717-422-3446. Theyre experienced with working with FRP. They may be heavy, but theyre SAFE!! We were camping in Pa a couple years ago when a storm came in producing straight-line windshears! a massive tree uprooted and came down on the trailer while we were sleeping in the bunk. the ONLY damage was the plastic vent covers on the roof and one small dent in the metal corner cap. If we had been in our other trailer, the tree wouldve cut right through and killed us for sure. LOVE our lead-sled !!!

I talked to The folks of Collin-Arndt who are now Sheetron.

They can repair there, but not do any paint or cleanup.

So they suggested I talk to places that repair Tractor Trailers as they are made of FRP also.

Have I mentioned how tired this decision is making me?? LOL

Anyone know any good tractor Trailer repair places???

Emily

Bridgeville, DE - aluminum and FRP trailer repair -- all bodies and types. Done a few claims there for Nationwide Agribusiness (mostly rollover aluminum bodies). I can't remember the stupid name -- it's on Redden Rd. Try that, Em.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Question Colin-Arndt

Is Colin-Arndt, no longer owned by the same people? They were wonderful to deal with.

Collin Arndt as it was is not in buiness anymore.

Here's what little I know...

Arndt the trailer maunfacturer in Dillsburg, Pa is now Sheetron Trailers. I spoke to a Mrs. Collins there and she was able to tell me a lot about fixing this issue, but that their setup in Dillsburg doesn't have all the needed components to fix this trailer. They don't do painting or finishing etc up there.

H.R. Collins is still in business outside of Frederick/Mt. Airy Md. And he is selling another brand of trailers. No calls returned from there.

I will call the place in Delaware today.

Fingers crossesd.

Emily