The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default schedule annoyance

So, in the omnibus it says "Nov/BN will run over 2 days. Dressage/SJ on Friday, XC on Saturday." Yes, I totally get that it is a *tentative* schedule, but the change to Sat/Sun which I got in an email yesterday, just as the 14 day advance purchase had expired is costing me $275 and several hours in travel time to change my flight. Waiting to make the flight until hearing the date announcement could have cost even more. Just venting as understand these things happen.
    Last edited by scubed; Feb. 1, 2012 at 02:09 PM.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Quote Originally Posted by scubed View Post
    So, in the omnibus it says "Nov/BN will run over 2 days. Dressage/SJ on Friday, XC on Saturday." Yes, I totally get that it is a *tentative* schedule, but the change to Sat/Sun is costing me $275 and several hours in travel time to change my flight. Waiting to make the flight until hearing the date announcement could have cost even more. Just venting as understand these things happen.
    Which event?

Ocala 2

Thanks for the update. Did not get that email... Will go check for it now. I would have been a bit shocked when looking at the times on thursday lol
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

The following was in the email and is up on the equiventures home page:

The schedule for the Ocala Horse Properties HT on Feb. 10-12, 2012 is going to follow this format:

Intermediate, Prelim and OT will ride their dressage on Friday.Intermediate and Prelim will show jump on Friday.

ALL Training, Novice and Beginner Novice will show jump on Saturday.

Training Rider and Training Horse, ALL Novice and All Beginner Novice will do their dressage on Saturday and they will finish on Sunday with their Cross country rides.

If you want to change divisions, please do so before Friday, Feb. 3, 2012.

That sucks. I understand that they have to wait and see what the numbers will be before they finalize plans but that makes it really hard for people to schedule for an event. Not everyone lives within an easy drive or can switch plans at the last second...

Scubed, this is one of my pet peeves. The "schedule" paragraph in the Omnibus is so often wrong for so many events....it affects not just people who have to buy plane tickets, but people who have to arrange vacation days, arrange pet care, arrange elderly parent care, babysitting, and volunteer time. I can't schedule willynilly days off. One of the reasons I have found it more and more difficult to event.

I would like to see events be much more detailed, forthcoming, informative, and inclusive with published schedules. Even if they are not sure how many entries they will have, if they could give a date when they expect to know, and could publish a firmer schedule by that time, it would be helpful.
    However, given past results, future expectations are quite dim that change will occur any time soon on this subject.
    Eventing needs volunteers. Support Volunteer Initiatives to be proposed at the 2015 U.S. Eventing convention, Dec. 5! #becauseofseema http://www.eventhorse.net/volunteer-initiative.html

Hmmm, Boscoe is doing Novice at that show--wonder if my trainer got that email. We were sort of at a loss as to when to request stabling since one horse is doing Prelim and the other Novice. It sure must be frustrating, but I am grateful for the heads up. As the owner I guess I am on a "need to know" basis.
    Click here before you buy.

Dw, B is listed with her under P and the other two under T, so I missed him, but will look forward to meeting your spotted boy. Retread, I am happy enough when omni says "might" or " could" as I get that scheduling is tough. It was the "will" and then change that got me.

I'm not a huge fan of Friday anything at the lower levels 'cause of work. Hard enough getting Friday off to load haul and setup, at least from my job, particularly during peak vacation summer months. So here's a plea from a worker bee. I hope the schedulers aren't assuming we're all either 1) able to skip school for a show 2) out of school for the summer, 3) independently wealthy and don't work, 4) all have saintly SOs to watch kids and/or work to support us so we don't have to. 5) all have saintly trainers who will load, haul and setup for us ( for a small fee, of course!). Scubed, I like your signature line. Hemingway had a great saying about alcohol. Write drunk; Edit sober.

I think a lot of events during the winter season in FL and Aiken are geared to the pro market. There are other big events during the year that stretch to Fri or even Thur, but down south they have one day events on Wednesdays! It would be interesting to figure out the percentage of pros/working students competing at a Wed event vs. those who took time off from work to be there.

It's sad but if an organizer can get hundreds of competitors even during weekdays they probably don't care too much about keeping the few who have to take off work happy.

Actually, at Rocking Horse they do take into consideration "pro" vs "regular rider".
    As a rule,
    Upper levels (A,I,P, and OPEN/Horse Training) go Fri/Sat
    Training Rider, Jr Train, Nov and Beg go Sat/ Sun

They care, but for instance, Rocking Horse last weekend had over 400 entries. THAT is a TON of entries for 2 days, so they have to make it over 3 days, and I like that mostly the bigger divisions go on Friday/Saturday, leaving the Training and other smaller divisions mainly on Sat/Sun.

I know the secretary of this event, and I know it is a headache for her to try and schedule all the conflicts. I suspect it has a lot to do with the SHEER NUMBERS of entries this year. They say we are in a recession, but my gosh, the amount of horses down here at the moment is like WOW!

The change affected us too, but after having helped organize a few of these, it's so hard to do, and hats off to those doing it!

FC - as it should be! I wish more events did this.

We have an event in our area that puts on 3 nice events a year, maybe 150 entries max, and they choose to run it over 3 days so it's necessary to get there on Thurs PM if you want to school beforehand (esp those of us with young horses where this is not negotiable!). Would LOVE to see more events thinking about how they could make the schedule work for those of use who can't take extra days off work, etc. I realize that there are limitations with volunteers, etc, but I honestly don't mind having to ride later in the day if it means I can do 2 phases in one day and not extend the weekend.

Doesn't your Area have a 1 day? That should be good for those who can't take extra days off of work.