The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

and interestingly, after 6 years of trialing/buying/selling a bunch of $2,000--$4,000 saddles, she loves nothing more than the Isabell with cair. Sigh. I put a fleece pad under those cold plastic panels only to make myself feel better.
    Balance is the perfect state of still water (Confucius)

Cool!

I got a custom Hulsebos saddle for my PSL mare, due to the way Lusitanos are built. Their backs are not an upside-down "V", like WBs, but an upside-down "U". In addition, they have such short backs. That makes them difficult to fit with a standard--for a WB--saddle: typical saddles are too narrow and too long. Look for a saddle made specifically for an Iberian horse. That may require on-line shopping since you're out in nowheresville. Also talk to the Lusitano people you know. Good luck.
    Megan

"The horse you get off is not the same horse that you got on. It's our task as riders to make sure that the difference is for the better."

Quote Originally Posted by Hampton Bay View Post
    I finally got a reaction out of palpating her back. She's very sore on either side of her withers. The rest of her back is fine, just the standard reaction to pressing hard. No reaction to pressing on her belly or sides. Very reactive to the surcingle, which puts pressure around the sore spot on her withers. My jumping saddle, which has felt over the CAIR from my old Bates, seems to get the least reaction from her. The fit isn't ideal just standing there, and I've only ridden her in it once or twice, so who knows long term. It does look like I will be in the market for a new saddle once I get ex-hubby's Billy Cook sold.

So anyone have recommendations for a saddle that will work for a wide, round, baby who might sprout withers and is VERY VERY flat in profile? And moves very uphill? And isn't Wintec/Bates? I hate saddle shopping.

I will call the massage lady too of course. Might try riding her bareback since she has a ton of mane to grab. I have a friend who can lunge me on her, who has a nice smaller arena and a round pen too.
    You have a massage lady? Where are you in Louisiana I am jealous!

Yes my own mare is girthy and she gets worse when her wither is a little sore... The circingle gets a HUGE reaction same exact story.
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

I'm an hour south of Shreveport. I've not used the massage lady yet, but a good friend said some very positive things about her. She's new to the area from Colorado or something.

This filly is only half-Luso, and while she currently has the back shape that will need a hoop tree, she's not terribly short-backed. She's only 15.1h, ALL legs. She's a bit butt-high right now, so I'm hoping she will keep growing some. Mom is almost 15.3h, appendix, with big withers. Very easy to fit a saddle to. Dad is 16.1h, typical Luso build. I'm hoping she ends up sprouting withers like her mom.

If her back is sore, she certainly is going to be girthy: she's telling you that she HURTS under a saddle, and knows that a girth means a saddle. Protest the girth and you keep the saddle from being cinched down. She's smart enough to have that figured out.

You might see a much less girthy girl once the MT lady works on her. When my PSL girl was girthy during her starting, we tried riding her bareback to see if she was reacting to the saddle/girth. Bareback riding suited her well, so that told us that she was very ticklish and need a softer girth. The SmartPak Lettia girth was the one we decided upon.

But in your case, the sore back is a red flag. Get that fixed before you ride her any more, don't even ride her bareback.
    Megan

"The horse you get off is not the same horse that you got on. It's our task as riders to make sure that the difference is for the better."

Quote Originally Posted by Hampton Bay View Post
    I'm an hour south of Shreveport. I've not used the massage lady yet, but a good friend said some very positive things about her. She's new to the area from Colorado or something.

This filly is only half-Luso, and while she currently has the back shape that will need a hoop tree, she's not terribly short-backed. She's only 15.1h, ALL legs. She's a bit butt-high right now, so I'm hoping she will keep growing some. Mom is almost 15.3h, appendix, with big withers. Very easy to fit a saddle to. Dad is 16.1h, typical Luso build. I'm hoping she ends up sprouting withers like her mom.
    There are places between us and Shreveport???LOL

Now I have to know if you guys have a trainer up there!
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

No, I won't be riding her any time soon. I'm using some of my really good linament on her right now to see if that gets her over the hump, and if not I'll do a course of naproxen. I'm trying not to do too much at once so I know what helps. I'll also be checking out her feet to see how she wears them. It's just not adding up that one short ride 3 weeks ago could still have her so reactive to even moderate palpation. She gets ridden next to never right now due to daylight and wet pasture.

She did cut her leg really badly 3 years ago around the coronet and heel bulb, and there is a good bit of scar tissue. She did open it back up a month ago when tearing around the pasture. I don't know if that could still be bothering her or not. The whole time she was galloping and bucking around the place when she opened it back up, she never took an off step. She's never been uneven under saddle at all. She's very naturally even for a baby. Neither side is really a "bad" side for her.