The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

I just took action on this issue and encourage you to do the same. This bill is NOT in the best interest of horses or horse owners!

Click on this URL to take action now
    http://capwiz.com/aqha/utr/2/?a=7642931&i=1234

If your email program does not recognize the URL as a link, copy the entire URL and paste it into your Web browser.

-------------------------------------
    Powered by Capitol Advantage, LLC
    http://www.capitoladvantage.com
    "Connect and Be Counted"

Vote directly NOW!Join us and other National Horse Associations if you oppose the current anti-Slaughter of horses Bill proposed.

If you read the information and are still not impressed by what it will mean in reality, then I'm sorry. But an emotional feel good law will not help horses. Instead they will be abused or wind up in the land fill.

This a direct submission and your vote will be counted, no pain no strain! Vote now!

I just took action on this issue and encourage you to do the same. This bill is NOT in the best interest of horses or horse owners!

Click on this URL to take action now
    http://capwiz.com/aqha/utr/2/?a=7642931&i=1234

If your email program does not recognize the URL as a link, copy the entire URL and paste it into your Web browser.

Powered by Capitol Advantage, LLC
    http://www.capitoladvantage.com
    "Connect and Be Counted"

Vote directly NOW!Join us and other National Horse Associations if you oppose the current anti-Slaughter of horses Bill proposed.

If you read the information and are still not impressed by what it will mean in reality, then I'm sorry. But an emotional feel good law will not help horses. Instead they will be abused or wind up in the land fill.

This a direct submission and your vote will be counted, no pain no strain! Vote now!

Hey Snowbird. Care to explain a little more why you believe that the current anti-slaughter bill(s) are "not in the best interest of horse owners" are you going to leave that to stand as an explanation? Please advise. Thanks.

Because of the overall negative animal welfare effects that HR 503, The American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act, would have on all horses, The American Quarter Horse Association is OPPOSED to this bill. As such, we are asking you to contact your Congressman and Senators to encourage them NOT TO SUPPORT this legislation. As a registered voter, it is imperative that you inform your elected officials in Washington that this legislation is flawed and not in the best interest of the horse. AQHA has arrived at this position by surveying its directors who overwhelmingly agree that humane euthanasia at processing facilities needs to be an option for horse owners.

<span class="ev_code_red">What we need is better supervision and enforcement of humane euthanasia </span>

If passed, HR 503 will amend the Horse Protection Act to prohibit the shipping, transporting, moving, delivering, receiving, possessing, purchasing, selling or donation of horses and other equines to be slaughtered for human consumption and for other purposes.

Please notice that the verbiage within HR 503 does not specifically ban slaughter itself. Rather it was carefully redrafted so that lawmakers could move the bill from the agriculture committee to the committee on energy and commerce. By artfully maneuvering the bill away from agriculture, members of the energy and commerce committee are, in fact, to ban slaughter by prohibiting the way a horse might arrive at a processing facility.
    <span class="ev_code_red">Also, the bill does not address who could be subject to searches and seizures concerning horse transportation. It is very likely a similar bill will soon be introduced in the Senate.</span>

It is AQHA’s position that such a bill would have highly negative welfare effects on unwanted or unusable horses. In fact, members of AQHA’s Public Policy Committee, along with surveyed directors, believe that horses normally bound for processing facilities would suffer a much worse fate if the processing industry were eliminated. Both the American Veterinary Medical Association and the American Association of Equine Practitioners state the captive bolt, which is the method used to euthanize horses at processing facilities, is one of the most humane methods for euthanizing unwanted and unusable horses when an owner is faced with an end-of-life decision.

In 2004, approximately 80,000 horses went to processing facilities in the United States, Canada, and Mexico. Currently there are not enough rescue/adoption facilities to house even 20 percent of these horses should the processing industry be forced to close due to legislation. The introduction of these horses into the rescue/adoption network would put a huge financial strain on the facilities and quite possibly lead to inadequate care for these animals. The legislation, as introduced, does not provide any government funding to care for the horses left behind by the closure of the processing industry.

Another concern with the rescue/adoption industry is the lack of regulatory oversight for these facilities. Currently, no adopted standards of operation are in place to ensure adequate care of the horses placed in a rescue/adoption facility.

Lastly, AQHA believes horses are the personal property of horse owners. For this reason, it is the duty of the horse owner to determine the best method for relinquishing ownership of their horse so long as the animal is treated humanely and with dignity and respect. All legal and humane options for terminating ownership of his/her horse should be available to the horse owner when such a difficult decision is made.

AQHA believes HR 503 does not address the underlying problems associated with unwanted horses and the implementation of this legislation will create additional, negative animal welfare issues. It is for the above reasons AQHA OPPOSES HR 503 and is encouraging you to contact your legislators and ask them to join you in NOT SUPPORTING OR COSPONSORING this bill.

This may sound a bit harsh in some ways.

I worked at a vet office as stall cleaner and go-fer. Part of the go-fer job was hauling euthanized horses to the landfill. Yes, it made me sad to realize that someone's friend and companion was going to the heap. I also realized that those horses had been humanely put down by the vet, and are now an empty shell. Not panicking in a blood-drenched, slippery chute, surrounded by alien, terrifying scents and sounds to end up on some gourmand's plate in Europe.

I guess, personally, I would rather spend the money knowing my horse will go peacefully, even if it means going to the dump, rather than getting a dollar a pound and committing my horse to the torment of a double-decker trailer and a commercial high-bulk slaughterhouse.

But that's just me {shrug}.
    Failure is always an option*
    -Mythbusters

*As long as you figure out what you f'ed up and fix it! -Me

Well, I am going to look into this a little more and weigh each and every word of the proposal. But I can tell you that Sweeney would NOT put anything on the table that would jeapordize the welfare and humane treatment of horses. I can say with ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY, that many vets oppose horse slaughter as to MANY MEMBERS OF THE AQHA. In fact, there was a recent discussion on the forums at the AQHA website wherein the MEMBERS OF THE AQHA were discussing the "stance" of the AQHA on the horse slaughter issue and stating that there were too many quarter horses being overbred and overpopulating the horse industry, as our Paints, and that the position of the AQHA did not represent those members, and certainly not myself. In fact, recently, when I obtained signatures on the mustang issue in Missouri, 3 out of 40 people were for horse slaughter.
    I do not believe the the AQHA is weighing in its members opinions and concern for the humane treatment of the animals. Additionally, I don't think that it is fair of the AQHA to put such a poll on its website so that UNINFORMED people can vote on an issue with the click of a mouse that will get submitted for our representatives review.

I'm just curious how they think that cramming terrifed animals into a trailer and kill chute is treating them humanely and with respect.
    I'd much rather have my horse put down by my vet if I need to- and then have the carcass rendered than send them to the killers for that last couple of bucks-

I don't disagree. Because the horse is my property I have the right to determine how and when it is time to say goodbye.

BUT...the law says that those horses which are unwanted uncared for and probably have never known love CANNOT be transported for slaughter. There are people who do not feel as we do about our friends and will leave them defenseless to starve to death or worse as we've seen to freeze to death some with their feet frozen solid to the ground so they cannot move.

<span class="ev_code_red">If passed, HR 503 will amend the Horse Protection Act to prohibit the shipping, transporting, moving, delivering, receiving, possessing, purchasing, selling or donation of horses and other equines to be slaughtered for human consumption and for other purposes.</span>

Zoos depend on this source to feed their animals. Have you ever been to a zoo? Have you ever wondered what they feed the carnivores?

YES! I would support laws that reform and I would gladly pay taxes for the supervision of such. If we want the benefits of the Department of Agriculture then we must accept or change their definition of a farm product.

If we don't want in the Department of Agriculture and we want the horse declared a companion animal then expect to be zoned right out of town because hooved animals are not permitted in most townships and all cities.

How many farms would survive without Farmland Assessment? Without a farm product we are out of there! No more free benefits regarding information about better care for horses from the colleges. No more in the curriculum of schools of Agriculture.

Just like they zone out the pot bellied pig and the goat we're run out of town. It's the right to farm law that keeps us in business.

I have worked for years with no help from you good natured citizens to get manure to be our farm product. Then the horses would be safe and there would never be a starved horse or a useless horse. They wouldn't be transported to slaughter because they would be producing gold to line the pockets of anyone who wants them.

Give me an alternative! Tell me that you think it will be better if they are driven off the farm and left to die in the woods or get hit by cars.

How many horses are you willing to support yourself? I'm certain that most of the unwanted horses are available to make you happy with lots to care for every day.

I hear the weeping and wailing about the costs to support a horse. So how much a week will you contribute? Help the rescue shelters to make room for more horses. They will if you donate them the cost of the horse for a year with a promise to do that every year.

What will happen to their horses if the donations stop? How many do you want? Put your name on the list and I will see that they are delivered to your door.

We have children who are starving and need help, should the horses get a bigger priority than the children? We have senior citizens that don't have food, medication dental care, should the horses take a priority over them?

Be real! How will we pay to keep 80,000 horses a year alive? in 10 years that will be 800,000 horses to be supported. How many in your budget?

PLEASE NOTE: it is the transportation and shipping that is stopped not the slaughter.

I have to agree with Snowbird here... I just don't think there have been provisions made for the care of those horses that are unwanted. Not everyone is like we are. You would be surprised at the number of people that don't give a rats patootie about what happens to their property, and are certainly not going to PAY to have an animal humanely euthanised when they can let it starve to death for nothing. Or worse yet, they can use it for target practice or some other barbaric thing. That is what WILL happen to those horses. Unless each and every one of you are willing and able to financially support those horses there has to be an alternative and right now slaughter is it. Work on a proposal to care for those horses and then take it back to the Senate...
    Not all who wander are lost.

Ralando II

And as I do we have that right for our horses. I have two pastures of the geratric group who will live well as long as I live.

BUT! suppose I have to sell the farm because I go bankrupt? I have about 15 horses that will need homes. Not fancy show horses just good old horses that love children.

Please send me your name and how many you will take so I can put you in my will as inheriting these horses in case I go suddenly. My family will not be able to continue supporting them and many have no real dollar value.

You can PT me with your name and address, phone number and how many you can take.

Or how much will you pledge to a rescue shelter if you can't take them at your house. I can send the pledges to the rescue for their care.

Or if you like send me a check for $6,000 so my kids can pay to have them euthanized and put in the land fill. But wait isn't it true that the landfills are almost all full already.

Wouldn't it be unhealthy to have 800,000 horses rotting away in the landfill for 10 years? We'd have some really fat vultures and rats though.

"There's a fine line between genius and madness. I've removed that line." -Super Genius/me

http://www.justsaywhoa.org/Opinions/winslow2.asp

"However, many AQHA and AVMA members have made their support of HR 857 very clear and feel that their parent organizations are not representing their views, much like Goodlatte refuses to represent his constituents' views."

Here is just a partial list of supporters of the American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act:
    - The American Holsteiner Horse Association Inc.
    - American Horse Defense Fund
    - American Humane Association
    - American Indian Horse Registry
    - American Sanctuary Association
    - American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
    - American Welara Pony Registry
    - Animal Legal Defense Fund
    - Animal Protection Institute
    - Association of Veterinarians for Animal Rights- Arizona Racing Commission
    - John Gaines (Founder of the Breeder's Cup World Thoroughbred Championship)
    - Hambletonian Society Inc.
    - Horse Connection magazine
    - The Humane Society of the United States
    - Iowa Racing and Gaming Commission
    - National Show Horse Registry
    - National Steeplechase Association Inc.
    - National Thoroughbred Racing Association
    - New Jersey Racing Commission
    - New Jersey Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders Association
    - New York Racing Association
    - New York State Thoroughbred Racing and Development Fund Corp.
    - New York Thoroughbred Breeders Inc.
    - Racetrack Chaplaincy of America
    - Thoroughbred Retirement FoundationVirginia Thoroughbred Association
    - The United States Harness Writers Association
    "There's a fine line between genius and madness. I've removed that line." -Super Genius/me

Snowbird - so do you expect your kids to send your horses to slaughter when you die? Would you be ok with that?

In respect to AQHA, I have read somewhere that 65% of the horses that go to slaughter are quarter horses. It seems to me that the AQHA is just protecting their members and offering them an ok way to "cull" their unwanted horses. If people would stop their backyard breeding practices this wouldn't be a problem.

Maybe the AQHA should take some lessons from the Thoroughbred industry in how to provide rescues and help for unwanted quarter horses.

I, for one, don't believe that you should have horses if you do not have the means to provide for them properly in life, and death.

Hey Snowbird,

Sorry to tell you this, but it is not HR 503 that is being voted on this week!

Just goes to show you how much you and the other clueless wonders at AQHA know about what is going on.

Not only do you not know anything about the legislative process, you clearly know nothing about the humane treatment of horses.

To say that a bill that would end the UNECESSARY suffering of thousands of horses who are brutally transported and slaughtered is "bad" for horses, is just simply astonishing.

FYI the AMENDMENT that is being voted on will prohibit the use of MY/OUR tax dollars from being used to slaughter horses.

The vast majority of HUMANE Americans and REAL horsemen, OPPOSE horse slaughter, and we do NOT want OUR tax dollars used to continue supporting this dispicable trade.

My advice to you and the other horse killers at AQHA is to move to Europe and kill and eat your horses over there. This is America and we have had enough government supported CRUELTY to horses!

Gail Vacca
    National Horse Protection Coalition
    http://www.horse-protection.org

ps.. please everyone, do not forget to make your calls again tomorrow! The horses are counting on those of us who have some semblence of humanity to STOP their suffering!!
    www.horse-protection.org

No Horses to Slaughter Clique

Well, I don't know if they would be willing to make the sacrifices I have made with my life to support horses. They may have to sell the farm then where would they go?

The problem is the tangent we get off to. You see it is a fact of life that there are unwanted horses. Circumstances change and people who could afford them can no longer.

The fact is that there are and what to do with them. How will we support 800,000 horses if none are slaughtered for 10 years?

We love them but we can't support them all. Many of us can barely support one. I am not espousing the killing of horses for meat. I am however facing the fact that there are too many horses for the existing horse people to support.

I'm saying that as a matter of priorities we have to make a decision. If we lose our position in Agricuture can the industry survive?

Would it be fair to use up chatitable resources to save horses which are probably dangerous or have no real use or should those resources go to people?

I have no doubt that the people who raise cattle for market have an attachment for these animals. I've had some and they too have an individual personality. I love lambs and have bottle fed some, but I eat lambchops and I eat steak. I don't want to live on berries and fruit.

Where people are afraid of madcow they prefer horse. There are societies where they eat their relatives to keep them with them. There are societies where they believe in the ultimate recycling and put the body of humans they love out for the vultures to eat.

The point is we all have our own perspective and priorities. We all have the right to them. What we don't have is the right to impose those beliefs on other people.

If I had to choose between feeding a child and feeding a horse, I would pick the child. Now, I my age I would pick the senior who can no longer do for themselves over the horse. If I had to choose between feeding my self and my horse, I would feed the horse. So yes! it is possible that my children would have to send horse to slaughter some day and I would not condemn them for that.

If this was the most perfect of all possible worlds all critters would have good homes and be loved and fat and happy. BUT REALITY CHECK! it isn't. We would have a homogenous world where everyone was equally respected and where every horse had a value to someone.

Horses are dream weavers, they spin their spell on us but not everyone agrees. The city people who are moving into rural areas don't want them as neighbors. What protects us is the Department of Agriculture. I gave you my alternative to make manure the "farm product". What is your alternative.

Gail - YOU GO GIRL!! http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/yes.gif

Because I am a bit of a clueless wonder (who does not support horse slaughter), can you tell me exactly how our tax dollars are going to help slaughter horses?

There we are the truth at last! My way or the highway!

Yep! send all those immigrants back to where they came from...America first...what I believe is the truth and if you don't understand get out of my way. The picture of the classic ugly American.

Where in Europe would you suggest? Siberia was the choice of Joseph Stalin for anyone who disagreed with him. Adolph just burned them for trash, he was more humane because at least death was quick.

And you have the right to tell me to go to Europe WHY? Have you cared for more horses than I have? Have you given more of yourself to support horses than I have?

And all the law says is you can't ship them to be slaughtered it doesn't they can't be slaughtered. Is that a technicality? I read the law I must have missed the part about tax money. Do the slaughter houses not have to pay taxes? Are there not people employed by slaughter houses that pay taxes?

Are you talking about the tax money to be spent on making sure that all animals are treated properly? Are you going to save taxes when you have to support 800,000 horses with your tax money?

Snowbird, please take the time to read the following stuff I copied from Onthebit1200 from another thread.

In regards to your personal horses, the RESPONSIBLE HUMANE thing to do is to leave a will either specifying that your farm be sold and the funds be used to provide for your horses in the long term, and if this is not an option (let's say your kids want to take the money and go to Europe and and eat some American horsemeat), then some of your money would instead be used to euthanize your horses HUMANELY, and in case you were wondering if humanely meant transporting them to slaugher or to auction and then slaughter, that is not what I meant - I meant paying a vet to give them a shot then transporting them to a renderer or landfill.

FACTS ABOUT HORSE SLAUGHTER

* Last year three foreign-owned slaughter plants cruelly slaughtered more
    than 65,000 horses for human consumption in Europe and Asia. Tens of
    thousands more of America's horses were exported and slaughtered in other
    countries.
    * Slaughter is NOT humane euthanasia. Horses suffer horribly on the way
    to and during slaughter.
    * Passage of the American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act (AHSPA) will
    reduce animal suffering - hence its wide support throughout the equestrian and
    veterinary world, as well as the humane community.
    * Americans overwhelmingly support an end to horse slaughter for human
    consumption (recent polls from Kentucky, Texas and Utah respectively show that
    82, 72 and 69 percent of those questioned oppose the practice). In
    California, a 1998 ballot initiative (Prop. 6) banning horse slaughter for human
    consumption passed with 60 percent of the vote.

1. Sick and old horses to slaughter

Question: Is it true that slaughter is only a last resort for infirm,
    dangerous or no longer serviceable horses?

Answer: 92.3 percent of horses arriving at slaughter plants in this country
    are in "good" condition, according to the US Department of Agriculture's
    Guidelines for Handling and Transporting Equines to Slaughter.

2. Neglect and abuse

Question: Will horse abuse and neglect cases rise significantly following a
    ban on slaughter?

Answer: There has been no documented rise in abuse and neglect cases in
    California since the state banned horse slaughter for human consumption in 1998.
    There is no documented rise in Illinois following closure of the state's
    only horse slaughter plant in 2002.

3. Cost of caring for "unwanted horses."

Question: If there is a ban on horse slaughter, will horse rescue and
    retirement groups have the resources to take care of unwanted horses? Should the
    government have to pay for the care of horses voluntarily given up by their
    owners?

Answer: Not every horse currently going to slaughter will need to be
    absorbed into the rescue community - many will be sold to a new owner, others will
    be kept longer and a licensed veterinarian will humanely euthanize some.
    Opponents of this legislation admit passage of the bill will not necessarily
    lead to an increase in the number of horses sent to rescue facilities, precisely
    because humane euthanasia is so widely used. It is not the government's
    responsibility to provide for the care of horses voluntarily given up by their
    owners, as these animals are private property. Hundreds of horse rescue
    organizations operate around the country, and additional facilities are being
    established (a list is available).

4. A safe and humane solution for sick, old and unwanted horses

Question: If slaughter is not an option, what will we do with sick, old and
    "unwanted horses?"

Answer: Approximately 690,000 horses die annually in this country (10
    percent of an estimated population of 6.9 million) and the vast majority are not
    slaughtered, but euthanized and rendered or buried without any negative
    environmental impact instead. Humane euthanasia and carcass disposal is highly
    affordable and widely available. The average cost of having a horse humanely
    euthanized and safely disposing of the animal's carcass is approximately $225,
    while the average monthly cost of keeping a horse is approximately $200.

5. Export of horses for slaughter abroad

Question: If there is a ban on horse slaughter in the United States, will
    there be an increase in the export of horses for foreign slaughter? Will
    horses suffer from longer transport for slaughter in countries where there may be
    weaker welfare laws?

Answer: Horse slaughter has declined dramatically in the United States over
    the past decade, but there has been no correlating increase in the number of
    American horses exported for slaughter abroad. Further, the AHSPA prohibits
    the export of horses for slaughter abroad, and contains clear enforcement
    and penalty provisions to prevent this from happening. Risk of federal
    prosecution and the high costs associated with illegally transporting horses long
    distances for slaughter abroad are strong deterrents.

6. Standards of care at sanctuaries and rescue organizations

Question: Is it true no standards exist for horse rescue facilities that
    take unwanted horses?

Answer: The Doris Day Animal League and the Animal Welfare Institute
    published "Basic Guidelines for Operating an Equine Rescue or Retirement Facility"
    in 2004. Additionally, the Association of Sanctuaries and the American
    Sanctuaries Association provide accreditation programs, a code of ethics and
    guidelines for the operation of sanctuaries and rescue organizations. Horse
    rescue groups must also provide for the welfare of horses in their custody in
    compliance with state and local animal welfare laws.

7. Use of horsemeat in pet food

Question: If there is a ban on horse slaughter, will horsemeat no longer be
    available for pet food?

Answer: There is no horsemeat in pet food. This practice stopped decades
    ago and has some connection to the enactment of protections for America's wild
    horses in 1971. The US public and Congress were outraged to learn federal
    agencies were rounding up and allowing the exploitation and slaughter of these
    national treasures for items such as pet food. Some by-products of the
    horse slaughter industry are used in various consumer items, but they are derived
    from the rendering (a different process than slaughter and not affected by
    the AHSPA) of dead horses and other animals.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Procella:
    Snowbird - so do you expect your kids to send your horses to slaughter when you die? Would you be ok with that?

In respect to AQHA, I have read somewhere that 65% of the horses that go to slaughter are quarter horses. It seems to me that the AQHA is just protecting their members and offering them an ok way to "cull" their unwanted horses. If people would stop their backyard breeding practices this wouldn't be a problem.

Maybe the AQHA should take some lessons from the Thoroughbred industry in how to provide rescues and help for unwanted quarter horses.

I, for one, don't believe that you should have horses if you do not have the means to provide for them properly in life, and death. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have statistics from the month of October 2004 from the Beltex plant in Texas. By the time you add in the paints and Apps which tend to contain a percentage of QH blood, the percentage of horses slaughtered that month that were QH's was 85%.

Also, Snowbird, can you explain to me exactly how using horses for horse meat defines our business as Agriculture?