The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Need help finding better hay bales in Louisa VA

Hi ya!
    My vet told me that I need to get better hay as what I have now is causing problems for my TB gal. I was hoping that someone could give me an idea where I could get better hay bales near me? We just moved to Mineral [yea...10 days before the earthquake ]
    Thanks so much for your help!!

Welcome to the area! Did ya feel the aftershock again last night!? 3.2 apparently!

I dont have a name or number to give you for hay, but there have been quite a few hay postings on craigslist in this area. Couldnt hurt to check a few out. I''ll keep an ear out for a good hay source as well. (I've been out of the hay loop, as i've fed less than 10 bales in the past year...over 80 acres of grass for 4-5 horses has spoiled me...and kept the horses chunky).

If you ever want a riding buddy, let me know!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

I know Oldenburg Mom lives out your way...but isn't she moving? You might want to try to PM her.

Try emailing Traveller's Rest Equine Elders too. They're in the area and I'll bet that have some good hay sources.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Howdy Neighbor!

Welcome to the land that shakes, rattles, and rolls.
    I bought too much hay for the winter, so please come by and take a look, see if it suits your needs. I have a couple of sources as well.

Can you PM me? ( Private message) I don't know exactly how to do that. I live about 5 miles from Mineral, on Shannon Hill Rd. We're way off the road, so I'd need to give you directions.

See you at the Food Dog, or Maddox Feeds, or Southern States.

James Timberlake, Powhatan, VA 804-598-3989.

I live in southern VA, but I've heard from people I know in your area that he's a great guy, and has wonderful hay.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

Mr Timberlake has been I'll. I'm not sure if he is well enough to do a delivery, but a self load might be ok.

I knew I could come here for help! She is developing allergies, and no more round bales...
    My boys can eat dirt apparently, but she is starting to cough.
    Never had this before...
    Thanks again!!

dandme,
    I got your note, but for-the-life of me I can't figure out how to reply to a pm. I'll bet it's simple, but so am I.

You've got to come see this hay I have. Open and shake a bale. It's not dusty. It might suit you fine. And it's so close by.

I'll try again later to respond to your pm. Husband will be able to advise me on computer stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by jawa View Post
    Mr Timberlake has been I'll. I'm not sure if he is well enough to do a delivery, but a self load might be ok.
    Sorry to hear that. Hope he gets better soon.

I have a great hay source but I'm in south central down near Lynchburg, and it's pick up only. My hay seller doesn't deliver. I don't mind since I have an 8 foot bed on my pickup, and she's only 13 miles from me.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.