The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse trekking near Cork, Ireland

Hi all,

I am going to be in Cork, Ireland at the end of February for 5-6 days, and I would like to spend one of those days exploring the Irish country side, and seaside if possible, by horseback. I am an experienced English rider, with many years in the saddle, so skill won't be an issue. Does anyone know of any outfitters or stables I can contact?

Thanks!

Oh gosh no, but I love Cork, and all points west :=)
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Admittedly, it has been a while since I was in Cork but I don't remember much in the way of trekking stuff being offered close to the city when I lived there.
    If you have the ability to travel a bit, there has always been trekking in and around Killarney/Ring of Kerry and when I was there, there was a cool place in Dingle that did trail rides and I would be surprised if it is not still there. Killarney and Dingle are not far at all and awesome places to see whether you are on horseback or not. There also used to be trekking options near the Cliffs of Moher (blanking on awesome little village that is right below those) which is not far from Cork either IIRC.
    I know they take foreigners foxhunting in Adare so I am sure there are hacking options there too. Also not far from Cork.
    I just clicked on carol's links and saw there is one place in the Burren- I cannot imagine a cooler place to go trekking than there.
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

[QUOTE=bambam;6111826] There also used to be trekking options near the Cliffs of Moher (blanking on awesome little village that is right below those) which is not far from Cork either IIRC.
    QUOTE]

Doolin? I saw horseback riding signs approaching Doolin, near the Cliffs where they advertised riding on the beaches. We also stumbled on a farm (missed a turn and had to turn around) near Castletownsend. Couldn't tell you the name of it so not much help. Not sure if it was one for trekking, though.

We stayed in Ballinhassig and, according to the site of the B&B we were at, horseback riding is widely available. Not sure what type, though.

If you are staying in a hotel, maybe you can call them up and see what they can recommend.

If you are staying at a B&B, sometimes they will arrange what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    I just clicked on carol's links and saw there is one place in the Burren- I cannot imagine a cooler place to go trekking than there.
    The last two days of the An Sibin ride are on the Burren
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

yes, Doolin.
    Carol- I bet it was totally fabulous. I am completely jealous. That is such a cool area
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)