The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Don't Tailgate a Loaded Horse Trailer

"No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

I saw in the rear-view mirror once my TB - who likes to sit on the butt bar so that his hind end is practically outside of the trailer (I haul with upper doors off) - come OH so close to landing one right on a top-down fancy convertible that had been tailgating me for a couple of miles.

I was sad that he missed, but it DID achieve what my own efforts had not - the dude backed way off!
    Proud member of the EDRF

"No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

My ex was once tailgating a horse trailer, until I said to him "you DO know what that liquid is spraying all over the front of your truck, right?"

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

My SIL had a horse who always peed in the trailer as soon as she got going on the highway--and man, did people back off when that "yellow rain" began falling Loved that horse I wish I could rig my trailer to spray on the cars who follow too closely, like a water gun or something.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    My SIL had a horse who always peed in the trailer as soon as she got going on the highway--and man, did people back off when that "yellow rain" began falling Loved that horse I wish I could rig my trailer to spray on the cars who follow too closely, like a water gun or something.

That would be a great invention, but I suppose some idjut would swerve because of it and wreck himself.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

Hate to say this but I had this exact experience w/ my horse and I was following the trailer at a very reasonable length back and got pelted by some green stuff on the highway - not pretty. On the plus side I'm glad it was my car that needed the car wash and not someone elses - it was not a nice part of the highway - known for some drive by shootings...

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Now, I think I could get away with my "back off sprayer" by claiming to put out all those nasty cigarettes folks toss out on the freeway!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!