The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Daniel Stewart Clinic

Anyone done a clinic with him before? Plan to attend with my OTTB that is comfortable but still a little green over 2'6-2'9 courses that I hope to be competing BN this year. Clinic is in April. Worth the money? What are somethings to prepare?

I highly recommend!!! And with that I say, You cannot prepare LOL
    Don't worry about height, it won't matter, every level jumped little cross-rails. There were PLENTY of other things to focus on with this clinic. It is definitely "for the rider" not so much the horse. He could pinpoint everyone's weakness during stress and helped us work on those weaknesses. All I can say is go in with an open mind and a sense of humor and you'll be OK. And if you can, get someone to video tape for you. After our clinic with Daniel, we all got pizza and watched it together. It was a great experience, we came out of it with so much knowledge!

I did one years ago with him and he is kind, personable, and helpful from what I remember He was really helpful in regards to analyzing position and took video of us riding which we then reviewed so he could give us tips on how to strengthen ourselves.

I remember the focus being more on the rider than the horse, but this was also a Pony Club clinic that I rode a borrowed horse in, so he might do things differently in other situations!

I have a friend who has ridden with him more recently and would love to again
    “They were not sitting backwards on their horses,” he said with a sly smile. “But they had no dressage preparation..." - Bert de Nemethy

His clinic's are rider clinics, not horse clinics. Even though the "upper level" group at the clinic we went to were all comfortable at Novice and schooling at Training, I don't recall a single fence going over 2'3" the entire day.

Don't look to his clinic to help train the horse. Do look to pick up some great visualization techniques to help the rider!
    Aelfleah Farm, Scurry, Texas
    BLUE STAR Arabians and
    Arabian-influenced Sportponies
    www.aelfleahfarm.com

Did a clinic with him last year. Jumps were small, exercises were more mental than physical. Helps you learn to focus and think on the fly and handle stress. This isn't necessarily something that is going to be a big push towards a first BN unless nerves or lack of focus is an issue for you - then it will help. That said it was a lot of fun and I felt I got some useful techniques from his talk for helping with show nerves and whatnot.
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

I have not ever ridden with him, but I have friend that have. I have attended both of his equine sports psych and rider fitness workshops. He was great, and I highly recommend riding with him if you can.
    At his clinics, they are about improving you riding both mentally and physically. The first day he video tapes you riding, and then later that day you go over it. The next day you ride with him and do what he calls psychos. Where you are given a difficult exercise while he does everything in his power to distract you from your task. At the end of that day he puts on a sports psych seminar.