The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need Help! Stallions that consistently throw..

really good, well shaped feet. Does anyone know of a dressage oriented stallion that passes on very good feet on mares that don't have ideal hooves (ie typical TB type foot)??

Is there a breeding value that covers this foot shape and quality for KWPN or other breeds?

Thanks!!
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

I know that my stallions have/throw good feet but then that is one of the things that I breed for, and that the American Warmblood Registry stresses. Having seen him and many of his foals in person, I can say the same about WakeUp.
    I only have front shoes on three horses out of eighteen in work.
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

Contendro

Unhappy Stallions producing good feet

Really? There are only two stallions that are known to reliably produce good feet? I am shocked. I would have thought that would be a fairly important quality. After all - no foot - no horse. There must be others besides Wake Up and Contendro. That was one of my considerations when looking for a stallion. This is disheartening.

Default stallions throw good feet

Well, all my Lipizzans are barefoot. Maybe it's the breed you are looking at.
    http://TouchstoneAcres.com
    Touchstone Acres Lipizzans, Standing N. Samira VI (Gray), N. XXIX-18(Black), more in 2014

My sample size is small (n = 1) but Belissimo M really improves the correctness of the front legs and the shape of the feet on my mare Forte.

I know Dauphin made it through the entire training and testing period barefoot at his 11-Month Stallion Performance Test.

Diamond Hit and Lancet both competed through FEI levels barefoot.
    My Diamond Hit filly had nice feet - but so did her mom.
    All my mares have good feet (though Contendro increased the size and improved the shape over the Eiger dam), so when the foals have good feet, I'm not sure whether the sire or dam contributed most ...

I've heard Romanov sometimes gives narrower feet, however, I use him for other qualities, on dams with good feet.

I thinks it is a valid concern as it seems that somes warmbloods are going the way of halter horses in a few bloodlines, with great big bodies on iddy biddy feet. Lots of mules footed ones in certain lines too.
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

Widmark throws big, sound feet.

I had a TB mare with AWFUL crumbly feet, one front foot upright, the other pancaked and underrun, and both back feet had a tendency towards being long in the toe with no heel. When I communicated with about a dozen stallion owners, every single one of them touted their stallion as having amazing feet as well as consistently passing on amazing feet. It gets difficult to sort the chaff from the wheat when you are only going based on what people say.

I ended up breeding to Yeager GF. The foal has amazing feet with HEELS. He is now a coming 3 yo and under saddle and have been starting to think about shoes. The farrier I'm using, who also did my mare and said she probably could never go barefoot, thinks that he won't need shoes until he starts competing and needing studs. (We event.) The consistency is hard and strong, even in mud which wrecks havoc on my other gelding's feet.

Only had one, but the Corlando gelding I bred and sold has fabulous feet. The vet and the farrier have commented on their symmetry, size and what good quality they are. He's deceased, but should be frozen available. The dam is a Thoroughbred with good feet, but the gelding's were exemplary.
    PennyG

Every time my farrier trims our Dauphin filly, he raves about her feet. They are big, round, hard feet and she might be one who never needs shoes.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Default Check out the Blood

One of my Grande Saber sons showed at the IHF finals O/F barefooted and continued long after that.

I have the famous KWPN mare line "XXlane" by virtue of my mare Hulane. Never had a problem with her and she produced good feet on all of her babies. She was actually 1/2 TB - Sovereign Bill the Irish TB who is the grandsire of KWPN HOY superstar Jumper Stallion- Nassau

Both are represented in my Grande Sovereign X Grande Saber - Hulane X Sovereign Bill(over 50% TB) who enjoys his work O/F now@ 14yrs ...barefooted.

Just sayin'
    Tradition of "Grande" Sporthorse Champions
    GRANDE SOVEREIGN 2014 USEF 8th Leading HB Sire
    & Sire of OWN IT - USEF National HB 3yo Champion

Grand Affiar, Grande Desire, GR Impression, Couture du Jour

My Widmark also had "textbook perfect" feet .... but so does his mom ...

Thank you guys for the suggestions and please keep them coming. I am specifically looking to hear about foals from TB mares (or mares with a typical TB foot).

I am having a bit of a dilemma. I have this mare here that is honestly and truly an international calibre mover. Walk, trot and canter. The gaits and elasticity are unreal, just breathtaking!! Perfect hind leg, such an athlete. There is just nothing missing. She has really obscure breeding (Swedish sire from a TB dam) but such a lovely, lovely temperament and is nicely conformed.

However, she has feet that are a bit under run (the size is ok, could be bigger I suppose but nothing too bad). She grew up in a situation where her owner didn't have access to a good farrier and so her feet were perhaps not managed ideally and so when she came to us a few months ago her feet were really flat looking and toe long and she was quite heel sore. We had her shod appropriately ect and fwiw the farrier thinks she has nice feet. We did xrays and there are no issues that way and while she has improved, she is still a bit sore with the hoof testers. She had another old injury that prevents a riding career at least at this point unfortunately. So I just don't know if this is a permanent foot issue with her now, if it was caused by lack of corrective work when she was younger or what?

So not even sure I want to breed her. I am fully aware of how important this is and I am aware of the risks and in most cases I don't think I would ever consider chancing breeding a mare with less than really great feet. But this mare is so amazing in every other way, if I got a carbon copy of her with more heel I would be beyond thrilled. I guess there is this little part of me that just really wants someone to say "hey, this stallion almost always throws amazing feet"
    www.svhanoverians.com

How about we start looking at stallions regardless of whether they are "dressage" or "jumping" stallions? I have a beautiful KWPN Crown Erkend stallion jumping at the 1.50m level who has superb suspension, movement and carriage. Could possibly be a good match for that dressage mare?! Just a thought......
    Hyperion Stud, LLC.
    Europe's Finest, Made in America
    WWW.HYPERIONSTUD.com
    Standing Elite and Approved Stallions

don't know a lot about dressage breeding, but my mare was bred for dressage in Germany. She is by Regazzoni out a Davignon mare, and let me tell you what gorgeous feet! theyre big too-and not flat or anything. my farrier loves them. She's been barefoot for 2 years, even while in work. always sound, never footsore.

Kyla, lack of regular trimming causing squished heels, can have fairly long-term effect. Can take a year, with proper trims, to see much change. If she is such a good mare, I'd be inclined to try her with a stallion with super feet. Good luck. Talk to SOs - see who is barefoot, while working at upper levels. Might give a clue.
    Sometimes you can see feet reasonably well in front pictures plus conformation shots....

Thanks Kathleen, I appreciate the advice. I really wanted to try Sir Donnerhall with her but even though I have seen him, I really don't recall the feet. My Sir D filly has lovely feet, but so does his dam. It is really hard unless one has seen many offspring from one stallion in the flesh and up close (and assuming one has taken note of feet at each viewing).

I wonder why all the studbooks don't have a breeding value for this??

Hyperion, I would look at the right jumper stallion. I am just hesitant to use a US based stallion due to CEM hassle.
    www.svhanoverians.com