The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default In case you thought riding a GP horse was easy....VIDEO

I found this vid on TOB, and in tribute to the "a ride on a schoolmaster" thread, I thought I'd post it here for everyone's viewing pleasure. Its footage of a British TV celeb with some riding experience taking a lesson on one of Carl's GP horses.

http://www.horseandcountrychannel.co...nicki-met-carl

What a super horse! And Carl is generous and kind. Be ready for a real OOPSIE moment...

(You'll need to create an account to view, but its just your email and a password, and you're watching in seconds.)

ENJOY!
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

Thanks for posting!

Thoughts

a) The lights in that one stall look like something from Battlestar Gallactica or Startrek!

b) The reporter clearly knows her way around a horse

c) This championship rider is also a good instructor -- which is amazing.

d) No panic no fall

e) The British pronounce dressage way differently than we Americans do!

f) As soon as she left, I bet he hopped up and retrained the horse
    Yes, I know how to spell. I'm using freespeling!

freespeling

Quote Originally Posted by altjaeger View Post
    Thanks for posting!

Thoughts

a) The lights in that one stall look like something from Battlestar Gallactica or Startrek!

b) The reporter clearly knows her way around a horse

c) This championship rider is also a good instructor -- which is amazing.

d) No panic no fall

e) The British pronounce dressage way differently than we Americans do!

f) As soon as she left, I bet he hopped up and retrained the horse
    THose lights in the wash stall are heat lamps.

I enjoyed that video too. Thanks. Sounded like she had a lot of riding background but was very tense...hence the horse took off with her legs clamped on and her body likely leaned forward. Had she just circled liked he asked she likely could have brought him under control or he would have talked her into control. Although, shite happens.

My son had lessons on an advanced horse and his rides went quite well. He sat passage/piaffe like a pro. Of course, the horse was a pro/schoolmaster type and a great teacher and not quite as sensitive as Carl's horse.

Fabulous video!

That was really cool!

Very enjoyable! I'm just wondering why they put her in a double-bridle... Probably looks more interesting to viewers. She might have felt more comfortable in a snaffle...

Thumbs up Great!

Proof how sensitive GP horses are.
    Dez was a good sport, you could see in the indoor he was rather confused.
    Nice that Carl cave her a feel of Piaffe. I do Like Carl seems a wonderful trainer and horseman.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

OP didn't mention how everyone on TOB thinks this horse was "wasted" on her and she did a terrible job.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    OP didn't mention how everyone on TOB thinks this horse was "wasted" on her and she did a terrible job.
    I found that discussion silly- meow meow meow

Fantastic instruction.

Quote Originally Posted by lovey1121 View Post
    I found that discussion silly- meow meow meow
    A few thought that the opportunity to ride the horse was wasted on her. I would say that 80% of the comments on that thread were positive. Meow, yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

I´d really like a TV-channel like this here in Scandinavia.. 24/7 horseprogramming..!!

Have you seen todays tableu? This below is just for the afternoon ..

Getting to Greenwich
    Top British event rider Piggy French talks about her Olympic dreams, how she made her way to the top and her hopes for the future.
    Getting to Greenwich
    Top British para dressage rider Sophie Wells talks about her Olympic dreams, how she made her way to the top and her hopes for the future.
    Getting to Greenwich
    Top British show-jumper Guy Williams talks about his Olympic dreams, how he made his way to the top and his hopes for the future.
    Getting to Greenwich
    Top British dressage rider Charlotte Dujardin talks about her Olympic dreams, how she made her way to the top and her hopes for the future.
    Getting to Greenwich
    Eventer William Fox-Pitt talks about his ambitions for the London Olympics, how he made his way to the top and his hopes for the future.
    Getting to Greenwich
    Top British para dressage rider Debbie Criddle talks about her Olympic dreams, how she made her way to the top and her hopes for the future.
    Getting to Greenwich
    Top British show-jumper Peter Charles talks about his ambitions for the London Olympics, how he made his way to the top and his hopes for the future.
    Getting to Greenwich
    Top British dressage rider Laura Bechtolsheimer talks about her ambitions for the London Olympics, how she made her way to the top and her hopes for the future.
    The Saddle Club
    Trapped at Pine Hollow due to flash flooding, the students are forced to endure a sleepover. When Desi goes hyper after she thinks she's eaten paprika, she tells everyone how it really is.
    The Saddle Club
    When Stevie and Lisa have an argument on the Saddle Club Anniversary, it looks like the group could be splitting up. It is up to Carole to make the girls look beyond their differences.
    British Dressage Convention 2011
    Filmed at the British Dressage Convention the Bartels family from Holland give us an insight into their highly successful dressage training methods.
    British Dressage Convention 2011
    Sophie Wells enjoys a masterclass with Imke Schellekens-Bartels at the British Dressage Convention.

Who is tob... Tells how much it matters to the world.... If I ran outside and yelled did you see dressage daily today?!

I'd be lucky to have one maybe answer... "What is driss og daily?"

Just bringing some perspective... But really who is TOB? Now I want to know

I think the more we crack the lid on dressage via media coverage the better for our sport. The more sponsors we get involved the better.

I would love to eventually get championships here in America where young riders can compete for sponsorships like in I dunno... Every other sport that is not college related.

Media will only help that... Even if the poor girl got dumped

I don't feel the need to poke fun of someone that is trying very hard with a great attitude about it.
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

TOB is The Other Board - Ultimate Dressage Bulletin Board, or UDBB.
    The flavor is different over there.
    UDBB has one thing CoTH lacks, and that's the ability to post pics and vid directly onto their posts, rather than linking a separate page. Its really nice.

Default TOB

http://www.ultimatedressage.com/foru...p?f=1&t=222037

It can bring out the worst in some people

FWIW, Sophie is probaly wasted on me, as well as my arena
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    A few thought that the opportunity to ride the horse was wasted on her. I would say that 80% of the comments on that thread were positive. Meow, yourself.
    Whatever. It left a catty taste in my mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    http://www.ultimatedressage.com/foru...p?f=1&t=222037

It can bring out the worst in some people

FWIW, Sophie is probaly wasted on me, as well as my arena
    Meh.

The poor girl said she came off in the jumpers training too... Sounds like a good egg to get up there again... (is that good british termonology?) lol

Somebody on TOB made the excellent point that everyone is always yammering about how everyone should ride schoolmasters schoolmasters schoooolmasterrrsssss and then somebody DOES and now everybody should maybe start off with something that isn't so finely tuned.

Well if you can't learn dressage by riding a horse that is already trained and you also can't learn dressage by riding horses that isn't already trained I guess the only thing left to do is skip riding altogether and gripe about how everyone else is doing it wrong on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    Well if you can't learn dressage by riding a horse that is already trained and you also can't learn dressage by riding horses that isn't already trained I guess the only thing left to do is skip riding altogether and gripe about how everyone else is doing it wrong on the internet.
    Very true.

I thought the tut-tutting on TOB was hilarious, and so typical. I particularly liked the post that "many of us professionals" wouldn't do a lesson that way. Most of the "professionals" on that board wouldn't be able to ride any better than Nicki whatshername.

Quote Originally Posted by mp View Post
    Very true.

I thought the tut-tutting on TOB was hilarious, and so typical. I particularly liked the post that "many of us professionals" wouldn't do a lesson that way. Most of the "professionals" on that board wouldn't be able to ride any better than Nicki whatshername.

How many professionals on here even have a horse like that to 'accidentally' put a student on...

LOL

Not everyone gets to wear the shirt "I got bucked off of your top Grand prix horse and all I got was this lousy shirt"

LOL