The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Just south of the Arctic Circle...seriously

Default Canadian turnout questions

I'm buying some new shirts for showing this season and I heard that showing in Canada, your polo shirts must be a solid color. Is this true? Obviously then stripes would be out, but what about polos with a contrasting logo on one breast or both breasts?
    “Thoroughbreds are the best. They’re lighter, quicker, and more intelligent.” -George Morris

It really depends if you are showing hunter or jumpers.
    Hunters tend to prefer basic and conservative shirts where as jumpers you can really get away with any type of shirt as long as it is clean and appropriate.

Pale stripes with little contrast would be fine I am sure but depending on the logo I would be cautious personally.

Be safe and go with traditional and basic I would say.

I thought you were asking how Canadian horses are able to get enough turn-out in the cold, snowy winters .

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

I live in Canada and this is true for most EC "Gold" sanctioned shows. You also can't have big numbers on your polo, so the Joules polos are out. Your polos do not have to be SO uniform that there is not a single other colour on them though. They just have to be predominantly one colour.

To try and give an example, this would be a no-no:
    http://www.countrywidefarmers.co.uk/...9126_creme.jpg

This would still be okay:
    http://www.cheappolostore.com/images...irt-Yellow.jpg

Basically keep it conservative. I have seen many big numbered flashy polos in the smaller A shows's 1.0m and 1.10 m classes, but the ideal is a one colour polo with at most a conservative/small/tasteful logo.

Honestly, think school uniform

From the rule book:

ARTICLE G109 DRESS
    1. All competitors must be properly dressed in the confines of the arena. This includes the inspection of the course and at the presentation of prizes
    2. Competitors should be neatly and suitably dressed in coat, shirt and tie choker or stock, breeches or jodhpurs and boots. Black or brown smooth leather half chaps are permissible providing they match the boot colour
    Note that breeches and boots (not half chaps or paddock boots) are
    mandatory in FEI Children's Jumping classes. Only approved helmets (seeArticle G102) of a conservative color are allowed
    3. If competitors are not suitably dressed, the judge may refuse to allow them to compete
    4. In hunter competitions, in extremely hot weather, coats are optional at the discretion of the Competition Committee
    5. In jumper competitions, in extremely hot weather, riders may, at the discretion of the Competition Committee, be permitted to wear dress or riding shirts with or without chokers and ties or open-neck polo shirts without jackets; no sweatshirts, t-shirts, tank tops or other similar dress will be permitted. Shirts must be neatly tucked into riding breeches
    6. At all EC-sanctioned competitions, anyone mounted on a horse must wear the required headgear (see Article G102.1) as well as safe, appropriate footwear.

-------------------------------------------
    (my addition):

You will see riders wearing barn polo's but generally they are limited to one or 2 colours (like navy and white). Just keep it understated and you'll be fine. Make sure to check with the show to see if you are allowed to actually wear polo's in the ring, some shows (ie Spruce Meadows) never allow polo shirts and some shows allow them on weekdays only!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

(my addition):

You will see riders wearing barn polo's but generally they are limited to one or 2 colours (like navy and white). Just keep it understated and you'll be fine. Make sure to check with the show to see if you are allowed to actually wear polo's in the ring, some shows (ie Spruce Meadows) never allow polo shirts and some shows allow them on weekdays only!
    And then you get shows like Thunderbird where you will see quite a number of polos on any day of the week, as long as the rider is not competing in a classic or sponsored class.

The more conservative Joules polos, etc. are usually fine. What you see is mostly 'plainish' in nature, but not necessarily one solid colour.

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

Quote Originally Posted by klmck63 View Post
    And then you get shows like Thunderbird where you will see quite a number of polos on any day of the week, as long as the rider is not competing in a classic or sponsored class.

The more conservative Joules polos, etc. are usually fine. What you see is mostly 'plainish' in nature, but not necessarily one solid colour.
    reason #1 why i love tbird...

and yeah. don't wear anything but a hunt coat at Spruce. ever. even on clear round day.

Quote Originally Posted by EAY View Post
    I thought you were asking how Canadian horses are able to get enough turn-out in the cold, snowy winters .
    Me too!