The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ariat Volants - holding up? Update - asked Ariat

Officially killed my Ariat Challenges after 2 1/2 years of "daily" use (3 times/week, one horse) - wore holes through the insides.

The price to patch them is almost the same price as getting a new pair for me (employee discount), but I won't buy a pair of these again as they don't hold up.

Was looking at upgrading to the Volants - would like some feedback from those that have had them for awhile now...how are they holding up?

Pondering the waterproof ones - ugly as sin, but if they hold up longer...but I don't know if the inside of the calf is made any different in those than the regular only sorta ugly black ones. TIA!
    Last edited by TrakeGirl; Feb. 2, 2012 at 01:39 PM.

Or...bump...folks that have the waterproof Volants - are they still pretty close contact feel or are they like Ariat's winter waterproof boots? Serve their purpose, but sorta feel like you are riding in moon boots...

I can't speak to how well they'll wear since I've only had mine for a few weeks, but I can say that I am absolutely and completely in love with my Volants! They're made in such a way that I can't see them falling apart anywhere in particular. The zippers are nice and sturdy, and because of the design (I have the front/side zip ones with red) there's not a lot of pressure put on them anyways. And they're nicely constructed elsewhere. The inside of the calf is fully lined (oddly enough they're fully lined in red leather), and the outside is super grippy soft leather (I assume it's leather), but it doesn't seem fragile like the inner calf on my Monacos.

I am interested to hear what others say about how they hold up.

Quote Originally Posted by TrakeGirl View Post
    Or...bump...folks that have the waterproof Volants - are they still pretty close contact feel or are they like Ariat's winter waterproof boots? Serve their purpose, but sorta feel like you are riding in moon boots...
    They're close contact. I also have the Brossard winter boots and there's no comparison between the two. The Volants feel no different than any of my show boots while the Brossards feel like....well, what you said...moon boots

I've had mine (the back zips) since July and they're still looking good despite a lot of abuse. I knock the dirt off them once a week and might clean or condition them every month or so. They're SO much more comfortable than my show boots or my paddock boots that I don't even want to wear anything else. Totally spoiled. No complaints at all so far from me. It just took me a couple weeks to get used to the look.

I had a pair of each (the red and the black) on order to see which I preferred... Then I came to my senses, realized that I absolutely DID NOT NEED either pair, and I cancelled the order.

Now I want to order them again.

Thanks, guys...

PNW - there is a new Volant in town. This is the waterproof one I am talking about:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/ariat%C...gndxuv0tcmij55

I don't think your red ones are waterproof. I have a pair of Ariat winter tall boots that are synthetic/waterproof and they are moon boots. But I've also had some Ariat paddock boots that were real leather and waterproof = not moon boots. These things have a "leather upper" so just trying to figure if the "lower/shoe" part of these are going to be moon booty or not.

The red and black Volants (as well as the all black) have calf leather on the inside of them - as did my Challenges that I wore through in 2.5 years - that is where my boots fell apart. Leather started cracking on the inside where my boots touch the side of my horse/bottom of saddle/pad...then wore away to the point of holes.

The waterproof (black/blue) Volants have full grain leather on the inside, so just wondering if they will last longer.

Ah I'm so ashamed to be so far behind the curve!

I love the look of the waterproof Volants. My only complaint about my red-trimmed ones is that they don't have the spanish tops and they're not the most flattering boots because of that. But I really wanted the red (I am such a sucker for marketing ).

Now I have my eye on the waterproof ones.....never seen a boot better tailored for the life of a horseshow-er in Seattle!

Talk to Ariat - the customer service person I spoke with was very forthcoming about which boots I'd be happiest buying based upon intended (ab)use & predicted level of care

I emailed Ariat - this what they replied:

"Thank you for your interest in the Ariat brand. The Volant is designed to stand up to everyday riding and to provide a more “close contact” feel.

Ariat expects at least a year of good use from any boot, with the exception of crepe- and leather-soled styles."

Included some other salutations and links, etc...but cough, cough...$550 for boots that are only expected to last a year?!?! WTF, Ariat.

Thank you for convincing me to repair the holes in the ones I currently have instead of buying new. I will be willing to bet the patch job will last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by TrakeGirl View Post
    I emailed Ariat - this what they replied:

"Thank you for your interest in the Ariat brand. The Volant is designed to stand up to everyday riding and to provide a more “close contact” feel.

Ariat expects at least a year of good use from any boot, with the exception of crepe- and leather-soled styles."

Included some other salutations and links, etc...but cough, cough...$550 for boots that are only expected to last a year?!?! WTF, Ariat.

Thank you for convincing me to repair the holes in the ones I currently have instead of buying new. I will be willing to bet the patch job will last longer.
    Are they kidding me? Maybe I changed my mind about getting Volants. 'Cause I sure the hell would be pissed if they only lasted one year!

Is that a year of daily, multiple rides? A year of five rides a week? Four? Three? Two? One?

I am not surprised by the short amount of time.

Ariat was a paddock boot that felt like a sneaker--that was the sales pitch. I worked in a tack shop back then & people raved how soft & comfortable & wonderful the boots were. They weren't raving so much when the boots would fall apart 6 months later with not much abuse.

Default Not a fan . . .

NOT a fan of Ariats. Used to be--had 5 different pairs ranging from $500 tall boots to paddock boots to cowboy boots. Bought tons of their clothes too. Then I decided I wanted to add zippers to my tall boots. I was having trouble with the heels pulling away from the uppers due to the stress of pulling the boots off with boot jacks. I called Woody's of Wellington, they said sure they could add zippers. Sent them off. Woody's sent them back when they saw they were Ariat's, said they wouldn't add zippers to those because Ariat didn't allow it.

Called customer service. They confirmed that I was not "allowed" to put zippers in my tall boots. Now, the boots were four years old and no longer under warranty, so how the he** can they tell me what I can and can't do? I should be able to install a cupholder if I can figure out a way, and it should be none of their business! Then they poured salt in the wound by adding that, while I couldn't add zippers to the boots I had, they'd be happy to give me the page in the Dover catalog where I could purchase new Ariat's with zippers already included.

By the way, I did find a place that would add the zippers, and they did a fabulous job. That was 2 years ago, and Ariat hasn't seen a dime of my money since.

I love riding in tall boots. I hate that they are super expensive and are hard to fit to my long leg. The ariat tall fits my leg off the shelf. Hate that they fall apart after a few years or use. Not cool.

Not only that but ariat admits to their tall boots falling apart. I have moved away from their paddock boots and half chaps but it is a bit harder to move away from a boot that fits you off the rack.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

The way it's phrased sounds like they won't stand behind any of their boots for more than a year. Makes me wonder what other companies would say if the same question was asked.

Crappy Ariat customer service aside, the way mine have worn so far I'd be really schocked if they suddenly fell apart in the next few months. I wear them 5 days a week, muck in them, etc so I am pretty abusive. Much better than the last experience I had with ariat paddock boots (which did start to fall apart in 6 months). That said, I didn't pay full price for the Volants and they're SO comfortable that they're worth every penny to me. I have not yet found another tall boot than I can spend 14 hours a day in, day after day, with zero complaints.

wow, I have been seriously considering the all black Volants but am going to rethink after reading that response from Ariat.

Are they THAT sure that people are going to keep coming back and purchasing their products after they only hold up for a year? Pretty ridiculous business plan if you ask me.

My $750 Dehner boots lasted 8 years under weekly use. My $800 Ariats lasted two.

The math.

Dehner cost me $94/year.
    Ariat cost me $400/year.

My expereince tells me Ariat is poor quality and way overpriced.

I hate to say it but it works for the most part at my barn. Some have made the switch to grand prix and tredsteps but for the most part everyone else rides in ariats. They know they will have to replace them and they just don't seem to really care. They keep buying them.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Kinda like buying cars in the 60's and 70's. Everyone knew they would be lucky to get 70k miles before car rusted out and they would have to buy another. What'd they call it? Planned obsolescence or built in obsolescence. Eventually competition forced that to change.