The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Navicular surgery

My horse was just diagnosed with navicular - rads showed bone degeneration, possible cystic areas, etc. (I can list the specific findings if helpful to anyone), vet is also suspecting DDFT damage. He's going in for an MRI on Thursday and possibly arthroscopic surgery on Friday to "clean up the diseased areas" as it was explained.

Looking back at my notes I was jotting down while on the phone with the vet, she mentioned they scope the DDFT tendon sheath and "everything else" and then take out diseased areas.

When googling navicular surgery, I'm only coming up with nerving, drilling a whole in the navicular to release pressure, and one other thing that's slipping my mind, but also doesn't sound right.

Does anyone have any experience with the type of surgery I described? How was your horse's recovery and prognosis?
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

I wouldn't consent to the surgery until you have had a chance to review the MRI results and review your surgical options. I would probably want a second opinion from a surgeon from a different center before I would make a decision. It doesn't sound like there is any reason to rush into the surgery.

Check out the September 2010 chapter in my blog for details of my gelding's navicular bursa surgery, relevant MRI, and even a link to a research article on the topic.

www.hearthorse.blogspot.com
    Click here before you buy.

Thanks Deltawave! That was very helpful to read and sounds like the surgery my vet was talking about. So was Keebler on 3 months of stall rest or longer? Were you hand walking in the first week? How is he doing now? I know it varies greatly from horse to horse.
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

I'm trying to remember now . . . stall rest for close to six months, but hand-walking almost from day one, starting with very short walks (5 minutes) and building up to over an hour. After four months I was allowed to tack-walk him and resumed trotting right around the same time he was cleared for turnout.

Two years later and he is doing GREAT--back to his job eventing although for one reason or another (none of which are related to the foot injury) we haven't made it back to Training level, but he's happily pulling my arms out at Novice. There's no reason he can't move back up, the foot is just fine; it's just lack of time on my part and his generally accident-prone nature that's kept us from doing so.

I would say he is 100% recovered from that injury. He wears special shoes (aluminum wedges) because he has very low heels and pour-in pads to help his pitiful little frogs to bear some weight, but other than that no special treatment of that foot since the surgery.
    Click here before you buy.