The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I probably shouldn't say anything, but I am not that much of a fan of using a bareback pad to "regain a seat" after a long hiatus from riding. The problem with bareback is it can give you feel, but also put you in a chair seat and can make the horse uncomfortable if you are bouncing around up there or inadvertently using your hands on the reins or balance. Bareback pads do slip, they don't absorb any shock from the rider's mistakes, the stirrups on them can be dangerous because the pads slip around, and it's pretty hard not to end up in a death grip with the legs if you get insecure.

If you just want to pop on the horse bareback and walk around, do it. That doesn't require any special equipment.

Time on the longe line in a correctly fitting saddle with no stirrups would do a better job.

flamesuit on.

1 members found this post helpful.

Bareback pads are great to keep your jeans clean, especially during shedding! My daughter has used the BF one for a few years and it's held up great.

I think if your trainer wants you to ride bareback to regain your seat you should go with what your trainer says. As for the the other two pads on the page; I can't speak to them. Why not just give them a call?

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Keillor, no flame suit necessary. I'm just looking for the best possible option to pad the horse's back while hopefully not flopping around. I do not want something with stirrups. And anything can slip, which is why these look interesting to me. Grippy on the horse side, and grippy on my side. I have to do the rest.

Besides, in the beginning I'll be on a lesson horse. The trainer has my daughter using a cheap fleece pad. I didn't see another bareback pad in the tack room and would like to provide my own.

For all I know, he'll have me ride with no pad tomorrow. We are just riding in a large round pen.

I think bareback pads have improved a lot since the 1980s, which is the last time I owned one =)

Good luck!

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't see anyone recommending one with stirrups at all.

I do some goofy tough stuff on my Best Friends pad and it's not slippy. The tacky-tack bottom sticks to the horse pretty well.

It does promote a chair seat, sure does-...but that's a big meh if we're talking about puttering around. Maybe the gal whose instructor suggested that is tight and tense in her lower back- some time spent BB or on a BB pad will/could help her loosen up and find how to follow the horse faster than in a treed saddle. Might help, can't hurt. I canter Chippie in one all the time, no big deal.

And y'all just think I was joking about that solo cup

No, I didn't think you were joking about the solo cup at all LOL. I've been warned against stirrups on bareback pads as a safety issue.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Advertise much?
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

I have the comfort plus pad- it's cushy, but not suede-like on top, so it's a bit more slippy for the rider. does not slide on the horse at all though.
    ~Former Pet Store Manager (10yrs)
    ~Vintage Toy Dealer (rememberswhen.us)
    ~Vet Tech Student
    Mom to : 1 Horse, 4 Dogs, 3 Cats, 6 (Former) Stepkids

Quote Originally Posted by Pocket Pony View Post
    Advertise much?

I see a year old thread about bareback pads, with several suggestions and recommendations. Nothing here looks like blatant advertising to me.

Janiemerle, I have a Comfort Plus pad, it's a really nice thick pad and it's not slippery at all, I stay put through all of my mare's shenanigans. I still have to use it on top of a 1/2 back fleece pad because of my mare's spine / withers, which is why I bought the bareback pad to start with.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Quote Originally Posted by furlong47 View Post

I see a year old thread about bareback pads, with several suggestions and recommendations. Nothing here looks like blatant advertising to me.
    A poster put up a long post blatantly advertising their brand of bareback pad on several 1-2 year old threads. They were reported and removed