The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What did you all think of Hansen's race today?

What did you all think of Hansen's race today?

Love that little white (grey) guy !

I'm a huge Hansen fan too. I think he had lots of excuses today, the one thing that concerned me a bit was a weird step he seemed to take right as he got passed. I haven't watched the replay to see it again.

While I was bummed that he got beat I'm sure not ready to jump off the bandwagon. If you haven't seen it try to find the photo of him as a baby, so adorable with the "white" coat and red mane.

Lots of credit to Algorithims, he was uber impressive.

This article has the picture jennywho mentioned:

http://www.drf.com/news/breeders-cup...-luck-his-side

Thanks Furlong.

Oh, how cute.

Wow, he never had much color. Red mane - another aspect of his usual wonderfully different self.

-----------

Jen: Yes, the funny start, off track & a 22 second quarter (the HRTV people pointed that out), which may very well have taken some of the steam out of him.

Eh, I think he's just saving it up for the bigger races.

They interviewed his trainer & Mr. Maker said how they are not pressuring him now but they do have plans for him.

Oh, does that horse have Charisma.

I love Hansen!!! Watching him run his heart out in the Juvenile brought tears to my eyes, I was so proud of him.

Algorithms was very impressive today.

This race was a good outing for Hansen.

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

Yes, congrats to Algorithms ! He was fantastic.

Hi, Angelico.

He seems to have one running style--blast out of the gate and go. It has mostly worked for him so far but as the races get tougher, a less one-dimensional approach might serve him better. At the very least, I'm surprised that in the time since the BC Juvenile they haven't tried to teach him to relax and rate a little when he's on the front end. Being multi-lengths in front of the field on the backstretch is not generally a winning strategy.

Seemed like he didn't fire when challenged by Algorithms, but he may not have liked the wettish track, either. Or was grumpy about the bad start, or maybe just didn't feel it that day.

It's early yet.
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

What's the plan for the this horse?
    I don't really see this horse wanting any part of 9f or 10f. Early days yet, but if he were mine I'd be having strong thoughts about bypassing TC races and plotting a course that had Kings Bishop and BC Dirt Mile as points on the map.

Quote Originally Posted by Drvmb1ggl3 View Post
    What's the plan for the this horse?
    I don't really see this horse wanting any part of 9f or 10f. Early days yet, but if he were mine I'd be having strong thoughts about bypassing TC races and plotting a course that had Kings Bishop and BC Dirt Mile as points on the map.
    Agreed. He had every right to be a little short, but he wasn't a little short. He was a LOT short. That bobble at the start was pretty minor. Maybe you can blame the track, I don't know.
    He's a quick-footed little thing that doesn't exactly scream distance-runner to me and he put up about as much fight as a dead cat when Algorithms blew by him.

That being said, he breaks off the gait like a boss and I think he'll make a heck of a shorter-distance type

From Thoroughbred Times yesterday:

Owner Kendall Hansen wrote in his Louisville Courier-Journal blog that his horse, champion two-year-old male Hansen (Tapit), will race without blinkers in his next start. Hansen, the equine, has worn blinkers in each of his four
    previous career starts. In the blog, Hansen, the owner, described a conversation with jockey Ramon Dominguezthe morning after the horse’s runnerup finish in the Holy Bull Stakes (G3) in which Dominguez said
    the horse was too “fresh” and was having trouble getting relaxed.
    Hansen’s next race is scheduled to be the Fountain of Youth
    Stakes (G2) on February 26 at Gulfstream.

Well hello SC!

I see this horse being a decent middle distancer, and I don't expect to see him win a classic, however I love this horse to death!
    This article is revealing, I didn't see the post parade, but now it makes you wonder if he had already run his race before he entered the gate? Not trying to make excuses, but I am giving him the benefit of many factors. Mike Maker seems to manage his horses responsibly, I bet he has a pretty good plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonomacounty View Post
    From Thoroughbred Times yesterday:

Owner Kendall Hansen wrote in his Louisville Courier-Journal blog that his horse, champion two-year-old male Hansen (Tapit), will race without blinkers in his next start. Hansen, the equine, has worn blinkers in each of his four
    previous career starts. In the blog, Hansen, the owner, described a conversation with jockey Ramon Dominguezthe morning after the horse’s runnerup finish in the Holy Bull Stakes (G3) in which Dominguez said
    the horse was too “fresh” and was having trouble getting relaxed.
    Hansen’s next race is scheduled to be the Fountain of Youth
    Stakes (G2) on February 26 at Gulfstream.

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester