The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hay prices per ton?

Just curious what everyone paid last year for hay? I know it varies by location and type.

For instance, I bought orchard/alfalfa mix for $240 per ton. That seems a little high to me but I'm glad to have it in my barn I was hoping Midwest hay would be cheaper. I'm use to paying by the bale with my .old supplier, but we were also living in MD at the time.

Edited to add: These were small squares, stacked an delivered.
    Last edited by Sparky Boy; Jan. 29, 2012 at 01:25 PM.
    Oh my god - she's gone and got the eventing bug! I will send you some antibiotics! Take the entire bottle and do two hunter shows and it will pass!

In the midwest, I paid about $150/ton, delivered, for first cutting orchard/alfalfa/timothy rounds we put up in the hay mow. Really nice hay everyone has been hoovering down all winter with minimal waste. The TBs are fat as ticks. I got that hay immediately after it was baled.

I also bought some first-cutting squares, mainly timothy with some alfalfa and orchard. Those were about the same cost per ton, but we went and got a hay wagonful (wagon and all) to handle ourselves straight out of the field.

Two summers ago I bought some really, really nice alfalfa squares with a nutritional analysis already done. First or second cutting--I don't recall which--but lovely, leafy hay. That was about $250 a ton, which is on par with pure orchard grass. We went and got that hay, too. Delivery of squares can run you another $30-50 a ton or so.

Since we have the storage room, I like to get all my hay straight out of the field or off the wagon. It's a PITA to be available right when the hay is ready, but the price and availability doesn't get any better.

I got gorgeous - GORGEOUS - orchard grass/alfalfa for $290 per ton in Maryland.

Last autumn we could find 1000# round bales for $30 each easily from any of our neighbors so $60 per ton. These were decent hay, mixed alfalfa and grass.

We are located on the extreme fringe of a major city and about 5 hours north of Des Moins.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

I'm not only a math idiot, but also don't buy my hay by the ton, so you guys can figure it out - lol.

I pay $32/bale for 110#-120# bales of GORGEOUS weed-free, leafy green alfalfa from Montana. Horses gobble it up.

Also pay - depending on who I buy it from - between $6-$8/bale for 50#-60# nice green leafy mixed grass hay. No weeds.

Have 5 horses, & it works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    I pay $32/bale for 110#-120# bales of GORGEOUS weed-free, leafy green alfalfa from Montana. ...

Also pay - depending on who I buy it from - between $6-$8/bale for 50#-60# nice green leafy mixed grass hay.
    Well, if you figure the alfalfa averages 115#, that comes to ~$550/ton . And the grass, if you figure $7/bale and 55# average, that's ~$250/ton.

Here in the wet side of Washington, good local grass hay (which can be very hard to find -- lots of yuk out there) ran me about $200/ton delivered and stacked -- this was pretty high for local as it is weed-free and put up right, and out of the barn not straight from the field.

The good hay for us comes from over the mountains, so shipping cost really plays a big part. Most recently, I have bought timothy hay for a super premium price of over $350/ton, but I had to have "special" hay for my IR horse and it was the one that would work well for him and my other guys. I've also purchased some not-so-good teff for $265/ton.

Hay prices are pretty much the highest I've seen them this year, and will only go higher for those still buying this winter as the stocks are low. I'm hoping I have enough to last me until the summer hay season...hoping it isn't another cold, wet spring like last year as that really played havoc on the hay growing and harvest here.

Just paid $240 a ton for alfalfa/orchard mix. Located in SE PA.

Summer I paid $160 a ton at local hay supplier. But that was after my regular hay guy (amish farmer down the road from me) ran out of hay due to flooding. He (Amish) sold me his alfalfa hay, which was gorgeous, for $110 a ton. Sigh!!!!!!!

I am praying hard that this year is a good weather year for hay/crops. I hate these prices we have had to pay this winter.

Top-notch Western-grown O and A hay in Florida was $425 a ton last year, is $495 a ton this year. These are big 100# bales. The quality is so good and consistent that I have stayed with the same supplier for 5 years now--if there is ever a spotty load in with one or two bad bales in the mix, he immediately lets his clients know and reduces the price.
    Sakura Hill Farm
    Now on Facebook

Young and developing horses for A-circuit jumper and hunter rings.

Although I don't live there, I was traveling through the Kenai peninsula in Alaska last month and hear on a local radio station that a feed store had a fresh delivery of hay (kind was not mentioned) ... 650 a ton. Round bales averaged 160.

Thankful that I board where they have great hay!
    "Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter, it gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark"

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Holy Hay Prices, Bacardi1!!! That alfalfa had better have concealed gold bars at that price. Feed store alfalfa is cheaper than that.

As Horsepoor said, prices are rising here as the winter wears on. Local is running around $180/ton and eastern Oregon premium orchard is coming up at $300+/ton now.

I bought mine at $240/ton last July. I'm scared what it will cost this year
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

You all should live in Texas...you'd appreciate what you are paying!!!!!

BAsque - what is it running in TX now, or what was it running this summer??

FWIW....

My local feed store near Houston - $29 per three string bale of (very nice) timothy from Montana (110 lbs or so), $27 per three string bale of coastal.

$215/ton last July, mostly Timothy. That was the hay price, then I paid delivery ($200, for 2 trips and 7 tons of hay). Add the $90 I also "tipped" my three fabulous unloader/stackers (son and friends) I guess it worked out closer to $256/ton.

Last week...3 string timothy $30. 3-string Alflafa $27.50 3-string coastal,
    low $20's. 2 string alfalfa $13.50....feed store prices. Hay trucks seen everytime I'm out on I-35, all heading south. Prices higher than last summer.

$360/ton of second cut - very nice quality.

$320/ton for first cutting.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

$320/ton for second cutting alfalfa/grass mix delivered and stacked.

Good grief Bogie, where are you getting your hay?
    In southern NH it's about $299/ton

Hay is high here this year. We usually pay about $200 a ton but it depends who is buying at the auction.

You can look up current prices here:
    http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/lsmnpubs

I pay 360 a ton for premium O&A KY grown hay. Delivered and stacked in my barn. If I was to purchase from our local feed stores, I'd pay anywhere from 500 a ton up to 720 at ton. Yes, those numbers are correct.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."