The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Video: Peters/Ravel Winning Freestyle at Dressage Masters 2012

"No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

I was down for the day today but only could stay until after the Special. My friends said that his ride was lovely and it was! Wish I could have seen it in person. However, I did get a great pic with him in the afternoon... http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...47240778_n.jpg
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

Lovely, lovely ride for a very technically difficult routine!

SO awesome, glad I was there to watch it in person!!

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Not their best ride.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Superb? That's your idea of superb? I'm with Velvet -- not their best ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

Well it was a fairly new freestyle correct?

It was such a lovely fluid ride!
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
    Not their best ride.
    So ?
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Steffen said in his post interview that it was the best freestyle ride he had ever ridden with Ravel. I agree with the man in the saddle. I've seen all of his freestyles. This indeed was the best.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Wow, tough crowd around here. I thought it was brilliant, but what do I know?

springer, you can join me in the corner with our dunce caps on.

That looked very difficult, and it was oh so lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Matson View Post
    springer, you can join me in the corner with our dunce caps on.
    Me, three!

I've noticed in the past Ravel looking a bit stiff behind at times. This time he seemed to bend his hocks more and be softer - I have no idea if that was from work or medicine, but regardless he looked better to me.

I didn't get to watch the video until later, but enjoyed the Chronicle's online blogging during the event in which they pointed out just how difficult it was.

I like Valegro's trot work better, but love Ravel's canter work. After seeing that extended canter in person, I now understand why it gets scored a 10 so often. There were some imperfect moments in the ride, sure, but he keeps getting more relaxed and supple in everything he does, and it impresses me!

(I'm not such a fan of the music, and everyone else seems to love it. So be it - different taste is allowed!)
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Count me in with the people who thought it was absolutely wonderful. They've had so many lovely rides… they make it look effortless! What a beautiful pair.

Can you imagine having one of those tables right by the arena? What an experience that must have been! Lucky, lucky people.

KrazyTBMare - GREAT pic! I'm envious!

Beautiful ride! Krazy, that pic is fabulous and I, too, am envious of you.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

I read that Steffen thought Charlotte had won after watching her ride. I do agree that Steffen's was more difficult, but technically and aesthetically I preferred Charlotte's ride. I know you do what you gotta do in the show ring, but I wish Ravel would piaffe without Steffen constantly having to use wiggly legs and for his reins to be a bit shorter and hands more forward, slightly higher so the presentation looks more uphill and driven from the hind legs up and out to the front. Steffen is great at presenting a fluid test with a certain looseness and ease, but for show could just be finessed a bit. I want to add that it is easier to critique near-perfection rather than far from... And if perfect equitation takes anything away from his amazing feel for riding a horse to the ultimate of its expression and ability - I'll take a bit of sloppiness like Edward's toes sticking out rather than forward...
    Charlotte to me, has better hand position, length of rein, plus a nice electric piaffe without constant leg. Loved her warm up video. So "zen" in her work. Please Samshield, sponsor that girl with a navy and red helmet with the bling diamonds - she deserves it!
    Now I can't wait to see Steffen with Legolas! And thank you for changing the music - I loathe "Men without Hats"!

Ps. Who makes the brown boots that Charlotte wears in the warm up. If I can't have her horse, I at least want a pair of those boots!

Quote Originally Posted by candico View Post
    Charlotte to me, has better hand position, length of rein, plus a nice electric piaffe without constant leg. Loved her warm up video. So "zen" in her work.
    Do you have a link to the warmup video? I'd love to see it! Sounds great.

ETA - found it: Charlotte Warming Up

Watched the comp live streamed last night. Few things came to mind. One being that the horse with the bloody mouth was not eliminated? and very surprised to not see it mentioned in the media?

In my humble opinion Charlots test was better today. the huge difference by one of the judges simply cost charlot the better score imho.. I honestly cant help wandering if it was a helmet deduction!!!!
    http://www.wellingtonclassicdressage...tar_scores.pdf

Anyone else see something weird/irregular with steffans horse in high collection moves?

Valegro is my favorite but I was not surprised to see Ravel win...

Ravel is by far the more finished mount and that shows IMO, and he gave a seriously fluid freestyle It was so lovely.

Valegro just gets better... He will be the one to beat soon
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by NOMIOMI1 View Post
    Valegro is my favorite but I was not surprised to see Ravel win...

Ravel is by far the more finished mount and that shows IMO, and he gave a seriously fluid freestyle It was so lovely.

Valegro just gets better... He will be the one to beat soon
    Agree with this. I loved both, but Valegro has an expression to his movement that is amazing and wonderful to watch. Can't wait to see what he develops into as he gets stronger and older.

I did think that Ravel had more technical difficulty and was probably the more superior horse last night based on that. But this summer will be interesting.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01