The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Kitty tooth issue - anyone experience this?

I noticed tonight that my kitty's top left incisor tooth is cutting into the outside of his lower lip. Obviously, I know I need to get him to the vet, but I'm just curious if anyone else has gone through this or is familiar with something like this happening. I'd really like to get a better idea of what I need to prepare myself for.

Many thanks in advance.

Do you mean canine tooth (the big pointy one?) This can happen, usually cats dont bother with it, but sometimes they need to have it filed down.

If its actually an incisor...you are probably infor some more serious dental work!

Yeah, it's the big pointy one, so you are right -the canine. I misread the dental chart I looked at. If it can be filed down, that's good news, then and worries me less. Thanks!

It can Depending on how far it needs to be filed, he may need an anesthesia but usually they can get away with filing just the tip off with some sedation.

Actually cutting, or just hanging out?

I have one whose canines are longer than any cat I've had - we just call her Snaggle Tooth and it doesn't bother her a bit (the teeth or the name )

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Actually cutting, or just hanging out?

I have one whose canines are longer than any cat I've had - we just call her Snaggle Tooth and it doesn't bother her a bit (the teeth or the name )
    I'm glad that she's a confident kitty so as not to be bothered by the name or having longer than average teeth.

Claude's tooth is actually cutting into the outside of his lower lip. I'm not sure how it happened or why, but I feel so bad for him, because it must hurt. He's still his normal lovebug, affectionate self, but it also probably explains why he's been a little more finicky about his food lately and hasn't been horribly keen on eating much dry food.

Gotcha. Sounds like it isn't too bad and can probably be taken care of easily by the vet

Quote Originally Posted by see u at x View Post
    I'm glad that she's a confident kitty so as not to be bothered by the name or having longer than average teeth.

Claude's tooth is actually cutting into the outside of his lower lip. I'm not sure how it happened or why, but I feel so bad for him, because it must hurt. He's still his normal lovebug, affectionate self, but it also probably explains why he's been a little more finicky about his food lately and hasn't been horribly keen on eating much dry food.
    While one of our cats' front teeth wasn't "cutting" anything, we did notice one in an odd position recently. He has overhangs with both of them, which my vet assured us was normal in many many cats. Turned out this particular one, however, was loose, which is why it looked so odd. No sedative needed - vet had it out in a nanosecond (must have been really loose), & he was immediately back to normal.

How is kitty?