The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Its a long-shot, but... Bluebonnet needs foster homes in Texas

I know I've asked for help here before and I TRY not to overdo it, but we're being inundated so I thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

For anyone who doesn't know, Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society is a 501c3 horse rescue/welfare organization. We work with law enforcement throughout Texas to help abused, neglected, estray, and abandoned horses and other equines. The drought in Texas and the tough economy mean that in addition to our normal workload, we're dealing with an increasing number of agencies asking for our assistance.

In the last week or so, we've been contacted by an agency asking for help with a case involving approx. 15 horses and one asking for help with a case involving over 30 horses. (This is in addition to a couple of agencies who have asked for our help with cases involving just a couple of horses).

So we're seeking more foster homes. Foster home applications are available at http://www.bluebonnetequine.org/help/foster.htm

The rescue pays or reimburses for pre-approved veterinary care, pre-approved medications and supplements, paste deworming every 2-3 months, and $20 of each farrier visit. Our goal is to reimburse more expenses, and we increase our reimbursements as our budget allows (we used to not reimburse for any farrier care, then it was $10/trim and now we're up to $20/trim).

The foster homes pay for hay, grain, shavings, etc. Any un-reimbursed expenses incurred while fostering may be tax-deductible since we're a 501c3.

When someone gets approved to foster, we add them to our fostering list. We then post alerts when we have horses needing foster homes. Sometimes the horse is already in foster care or is being returned by an adopter, so we know a great deal about that horse. If we're dealing with a neglect/abuse case, abandoned horses or estray horses, then we don't know much. Whatever we know is posted, and foster homes volunteer for the horse(s) (or donkeys, mules, ponies) they are interested in. No one is forced to take horses they're not comfortable with.

If you are interested in learning more or joining our foster home team, you can email me at jenn at bluebonnetequine dot org, visit our website at http://www.bluebonnetequine.org/help/foster.htm or visit us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/BluebonnetEquineHumaneSociety

This year, we're working on setting up Foster Horse Training Days with trainers at various locations around the state. These training days allow foster homes to bring horses who need evaluation or who are having behavioral problems they need help with to the event to get help from a pro. trainer. BEHS pays the cost of the Training Days - so it can be a great opportunity not only to help your foster but to learn as well. We try to make fostering a good experience for everyone!

Thanks for reading - and thanks for considering fostering. It really is a tremendous experience!
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Wish I were closer. If I ever work in the States again I would definitely be looking at fostering.
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog