The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Putting Zipper in Dress Boots?

Has anyone had a pair of boots altered to have a zipper added and if so, how did you find someone to do this? I'm contemplating a great deal on a pair of Petrie's but i'd really like to have a zipper put in. Plus, the ankles are a little biggish. Could a zipper help make them fit a better through the ankle?

i'm in SW Michigan so if anyone has a resource i'd greatly appreciate it!

Price can vary and soooo can craftsmanship...so Buyer Beware!! Find a good shoemaker/repair that has done it before...try...and I see that you are..to get a referal from somone who has had it done by whomever you choose...Good luck!
    "Success comes in cans, not in cannots!"

I heard that Woodys of Wellington is absolutely the best. They have a website.

I had Anthony's of Solana Beach, CA add patent tops to my Konigs. Woody's said they couldn't do it--said you had to BUY them with patent, couldn't add it--but Anthony's did a beautiful job. The Nordstrom's of tack shops, Olson's Tack in Bellevue, WA, gave me Anthony's and Woody's numbers. Woody's would be closer to you, less $$$ for shipping.

Or ask a local tack shop that carries high-end dress boots who they use.

I am actually waiting to pick mine up and see how they turned out. I got a referral (actually several) through others who have had it done and the local tack store. Keeping fingers crossed that they have turned out well.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

Default Woody's in Florida

I've had zippers added to 2 pairs of Petrie Dress boots. I sent them to Woody;s and highly recommend them. I called and talked to Woody who told me exactly what measurements to take for a custom fit. Its been about 10 years ago, but I paid $125.00 back then which included return shipping to PA. Those zippers are still working and Woody's did a beautiful job. I think most pros use them. I think they do have a website if youu google them. I'd never have boots without zippers again!

I had zippers put in Petries and they could not make the ankle any smaller...I gave up and went back to my custom Vogels.
    "The stumbler doesn’t build her life by being better than others, but by being better than she used to be."
    David Brooks

Thank you so much for all of your thoughts! I think that i may just leave them alone, assuming they fit. I have bookmarked Woody's as seems like a great resources .

Happpy Riding!!

I have had Woody's add zippers-fabulous-anyone else=FAIL!!! A friend of mine ended up with the best deal in history when I had someone put in zippers and then I couldn't zip them up because they took in the calf-they had been worn 3 times so my tiny friend got herself a real bargain, with brand new zippers.