The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Seeing the majority of dried fat in manure, am I wasting my money?

My mare has epsm and won't eat corn/canola oil. I have been feeding her performance pak 4cups per day as that equals two cups oil per 1000 lbs as recommended. However, I see the majority of it in her manure. Does that mean she is not absorbing it and I am wasting my money? It is almost 100 per bag which lasts about one month. She will eat some cocosoya but I am not good at math and wasn't sure what percentage of cocosoya would equal what she was getting in dried fat or if that is an acceptable substitute for corn oil. Any input would be great!

Thanks!

You can actually see and recognize the fat supplement in her manure? That is highly unusual - generally it is indigestible/poorly digestible fibers (like oat hulls, etc.) that show up in whole form in the manure. A fat supplement should be completely, or nearly completely, digested long before it gets to the rectum.

What form does it come in? Powder? Pellets? I agree, very unusual.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

It is performance pak and it comes in a granulated powder almost like sugar. You can see all the white granules distributed throughout the manure. It it super expensive as I have to have it shipped.. I assume since I am seeing it it is not getting digested, it is advertised as easily digestible. I am guessing in her case not?

I looked at the website because I've never heard of the product. According to the literature, it comes as "prilled beadlets" which I also had to look up because I've never heard of that either. I would contact the company with your concerns. According to their info, it is 100% vegetable fat, which IME should be completely digestible, unless there is something in their processing method that is making it partially or completely undigestible (intentionally or not). I guess they could also have added something to it that is indigestible while the fat part is utilized, but that doesn't seem to be the case in looking at the product info.

You could try halving the amount for a few days and see if less of it comes out in the manure? Perhaps your horse can't digest that much at one time but could do better with a smaller amount.

But...I can think of several 100% dried fat products that are way cheaper than $100 a month.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01