The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Poor Old Horse Down

So, there is this very old horse at the barn. He cannot get up when he goes down (falls down, he would never lay down on purpose because he knows he can't get back up). Anyway, he went down this morning about 11. I heard a crash, looked out of the stall I was mucking and he was down. I told the BO that he had fallen and that I thought he was cast. She said what else is new and didn't even go to check on him. He should have been put down months ago, but his owner just can't bring herself to do it because "he looks good when he's up". She doesn't, however, sit with him for hours or even see him every time he's down which is now multiple times every week. She had his hocks injected and gave him a course of Adequan.

As of right now, this poor old guy has been laying on the cold floor for 12 hours, no water, nothing to eat. It is now below zero and is supposed to go down to 10 below tonight. Is there any way he'll make it through the night? Honestly, I hope not. I think he has suffered enough. I don't buy for one single minute that this is about how much she loves the horse. It is all about how much she loves herself and how she doesn't want to let him go. This is at the same barn I was talking about when I posted a thread about a minimum care standard. Isn't it considered cruelty to let him lay there on that cold floor until he dies? Isn't that animal cruelty? How can I have any respect for a BO who allows this kind of thing to go on? I am literally sick over this but I seem to be the only one. No one thinks it is the right thing to do but not one single person is willing to say a single thing about it. I wish I had the courage to call the police or animal control, but they probably wouldn't have a problem with it either.

Whatever, this rangy old Appy has worked hard for his whole life, doing everything he was asked. He deserves to be taken care of. He doesn't deserve to die like this. If there was anything I could do I would but I there isn't. Short of calling the vet, there's nothing to do and I can't call the vet for someone else's horse. I will pray that he doesn't suffer for too long; that the cold will numb the pain and that he will just close his old eyes and go to sleep. Please, if you pray, offer one for dear old Cisco.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

Quote Originally Posted by ptownevt View Post
    I wish I had the courage to call the police or animal control, but they probably wouldn't have a problem with it either.
    What is wrong with you? That horse needs you to grow a set. You make it clear to the barn owner that you will not stand by and watch this old horse suffer and that if the barn owner does not compel the owner to do something you will call anyone who will listen. Police, animal control, humane society, whomever. And if it ends badly for you, then it is time to move your horse.

I don't care whose toes i step when i feel a horse needs help.Just call whoever you have to.The horse deserves more than this.
    mm

It's not likely he would make it through the night but I sure as hell wouldn't wait around to find out. Tell whomever that they call the vet or you call the cops. NOW!

You must insist. Now. i once told someone that they needed to call the vet or I would shoot the horse myself. try that. That poor horse obviously has only YOU to speak for him.

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    What is wrong with you? That horse needs you to grow a set. You make it clear to the barn owner that you will not stand by and watch this old horse suffer and that if the barn owner does not compel the owner to do something you will call anyone who will listen. Police, animal control, humane society, whomever. And if it ends badly for you, then it is time to move your horse.
    Ditto. Poor, poor horse. You better believe I would be out there putting a blanket on him, sitting with him, and calling and recalling animal control/the cops/whoever I needed to. At the very least make an effort to make him feel loved and do your damn best to get someone on the phone who will help!
    I would never be able to forgive myself if I saw this horse down and suffering and didn't do everything in my power to help him.
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

Grow some backbone instead of posting here - prents, police, AC, someone. You will be forever regretting it if you do nothing. It is called moral courage.

The BO is irresponsible for allowing this to continue under her roof. The owner is a jerk. Prayers for the old appy who is surrounded by idiots.

You knew this horse had been down for 12 hours and did not call anyone? Someone needs to call animal control on you. Good God.
    "I have brought on the hatred of Wall Street and I relish it".
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Yes, the barn owner and horse owner suck, especially in the fact that their neglect puts to OP in the grossly unfair position of having to do something that makes her so uncomfortable. Hopefully this thread will help her take that step.

Quote Originally Posted by ptownevt View Post
    Please, if you pray, offer one for dear old Cisco.
    Dear God, please grant Cisco peace and comfort in his final hours since his humans have failed him. Please take him now so he suffers no more. Amen.
    "Concern for animals is a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher Stowe 1811-1896

Ponies are cool!

And please evoke the explosive diarrhea curse so roundly deserved by the owners and anyone else in a position to advocate for a comfortable ending for this horse but chosing not to. Amen.

Damn, I'm sick and tired and still want to say, forward me the location of the horse, the phone numbers of the horse owner, the barn owner, police station, animal control and local humane society. I'll make their lives miserable. OP, I hope you are on the phone or knocking on the barn owners door as we speak. You can do it, I know you can. Just do it! You will feel better afterwards.

This thread makes me unbearably sad. I just lost my mare under pretty awful circumstances and can not imagine having let her suffer a minute longer than necessary, as hard as it was to have her put down. How can anyone allow this to go on, even if it is not their horse?

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    Yes, the barn owner and horse owner suck, especially in the fact that their neglect puts to OP in the grossly unfair position of having to do something that makes her so uncomfortable. Hopefully this thread will help her take that step.
    Quote Originally Posted by equinelaundry View Post
    Dear God, please grant Cisco peace and comfort in his final hours since his humans have failed him. Please take him now so he suffers no more. Amen.
    This thread just breaks my heart, I've sent my prayers up for Cisco
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Poor horse. Shame on the owner for not doing what is right and the BO for having such an attitude.
    Pro Slaughter
    Anti Parelli

Jesus help us - no, help that poor horse.

Down for 12 hours!?? He's a goner. No animal can be down that long and ever be right again to say the least. Shame on his thoughtless owner and his uncaring BO. OP - you know what the right thing to do here is - do it. Think about it - what if that were your horse. Would you not want someone to advocate for him?

Poor Cisco - you deserved better.
    "Cats aren't clean; they're covered with cat spit."
    - John S Nichols (1745-1846,writer/printer)

There's no reasoning with crazy people.

I am literally sick over this but I seem to be the only one. No one thinks it is the right thing to do but not one single person is willing to say a single thing about it. I wish I had the courage to call the police or animal control, but they probably wouldn't have a problem with it either.

Sorry, but your inaction puts you firmly in the camp of the bad guys. No courage to do something but get on a forum and wring your hands? Please. If you're going to be a wussy about it then keep it to yourself.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

In Europe, horses were not retired once they were not able to work.
    First, there was nowhere to retire for most.
    Second, it was considered BAD animal husbandry to keep a horse around that was hurting and didn't have a good quality of life any more, measuring by what is a good quality of life FOR A HORSE.

Horses don't know about tomorrows.
    It is a shame that we let them go today until so ancient, sore and in bad shape, supporting them with medications and special diets into their foggy days, using resources that we are lucky to have in abundance, until a final crash, as that horse in this thread.

That is being inhumane, not letting them go when, as the horse they are, their quality of life is diminishing past a point.
    That point came long ago to that horse and so many more out there today.
    Shameful.

I hope someone can help that horse, not let it die there under such terrible helpless condition for a horse.

Why wasn't the OWNER called? Get her out there so she can see that the horse doesn't look so great when he's NOT up.

And then call AC, police, whoever.

Anyhow, hope the night has done the job than none of the people around him will do for him.

*shudder*
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

I pray that Cisco has passed over the rainbow bridge. His owner does not deserve him. His suffering has gone on long enough. People are cruel and don't deserve the joy and friendship that our animals bring to us.

We have had to put animals down. Yes, it was a painful decision. But it is the last best thing you can do for them when it is their time.

OP I'm sorry. It's always so easy for us to make our judgements in front of a keyboard, much harder given all the circumstances that surround real life.

Praying for old Cisco, that the owner came out and did what was right, that the BO grew the set to tell the owner it was time to get out there and do what was right, and that poor old Cisco hasn't or didn't suffer unduly.

Very sorry.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible