The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default What do you wear under your breeches?

Ok, so this is defiantly an off course kind of topic, lol. But ladies (and gentlemen) what do you wear under your breeches when riding to prevent VPL?

I couldn't find anything tolerable until I had the brilliant idea to try a pair of Underarmor boxer/briefs (won't say where I got this idea). They are super thin and stretchy with invisible seams, I put them on under my thinest schooling tights and wa-la!!

I've also heard Underarmor makes compression shorts, very similar to the briefs but more ahem, unisex (if you know what I mean). Has anyone tried them? I'd be afraid I'd have a line where the shorts stopped compressing. . . ?
    A student in all things.

This has been discussed a ton. Just recently, too. I think it was titled "Visible Panty Lines" or something.

"Wa-la" is "voila." It's French, for "see there."

Spanx.

Long-legged compression shorts.

G.

Nothing.

Granny panties when schooling (who cares? No one's gonna see, unless I swing by the convenience store on the way home, LOL) At shows, the thinner, full coverage models. I go for comfort these days, and being older, cannot stand a thong anymore. Also, I prefer breeches that are fuller cut through the hip and thigh, so panty lines aren't too much of an issue.
    Crayola posse~ orange yellow, official pilot
    Proud owner of "High Flight" & "Shorty"

Whatever I blindly grab from the drawer. I'll stay away from regular briefs if the particular riding pants I have in mind (again, probably the first pair i see) are thinner, to avoid the obvious vpl, buuuut other than that it's usually not something I consider. More thought is placed on shirt/sweater and breeches pairings.... And FAR more thought is spent on the coffee, oh, the coffee!
    MrB's attempt at talking like a horse person, "We'll be entering in the amateur hunter-gatherer division...."

A properly-fitted athletic supporter worn OVER boxer-briefs. Works well even if losing the irons over a high one.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

I just don't care about VPL. I am more interested in being comfy. In the saddle or otherwise. Fortunately, I find that the comfy, seamless panties I own don't show VPL, either!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Nothing or spanx. Depends on how cold it is (spanx are GREAT in the winter) or if I'm showing. Oh, and I don't ride in jeans. Ever.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyGirl77 View Post
    I've also heard Underarmor makes compression shorts, very similar to the briefs but more ahem, unisex (if you know what I mean). Has anyone tried them? I'd be afraid I'd have a line where the shorts stopped compressing. . . ?
    That's what I've been riding in lately. There is a small line where the shorts end, but it's not super noticeable. I probably wouldn't wear them at a show or clinic, but for regular schooling it's very comfortable!
    Cascadia- OTTB mare. 04/04-05/10
    If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever

Under Armour

I don't like sitting on underwear seams and elastic edges.
    Last edited by Equibrit; Jan. 28, 2012 at 07:09 PM.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Regular underwear. I don't care about panty lines. I don't think anyone else cares about my panty lines either.

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post

"Wa-la" is "voila." It's French, for "see there."

This cracked me up... a few years ago one of my friends asked her then neighbor what they had for dinner and the neighbor said "Chicken Viola" pronounced like the musical instrument. So I now call Chicken "wa-la" Chicken "viola". I forget that not everyone gets the joke.

Nike Pro Combat Compression.

These are the 6", but I have and wear the 8", so they go all the way to the tops of my knees.

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=sh...11/pgid-457646

I was looking at Under Armor for the same reason, but the UA fabric felt rougher and had a thicker weave than the Nike shorts, which actually felt kind of silky. (And since chafing (TMI, sorry) was my main problem, I went with Pro Combat.
    The dude abides ...

Victoria's Secret makes some lovely panties, hipsters, boyshorts, etc. out of some great fabrics that don't show pany lines. I love them because they're really comfy, too. If it's your first time buying from them, I wouldn't buy online, I'd go to a store. That way you have better idea of what the fabric feels like.

Quote Originally Posted by paintlady View Post
    Regular underwear. I don't care about panty lines. I don't think anyone else cares about my panty lines either.
    Amen. A pair of skivvies that covers the entire bum cheek is fine.

I really have never understood the huge concern about pantylines. So people know that you wear underwear! Gasp, how horrible! I wear my comfiest underwear (which actually have a thick but soft hem). Doesn't matter if I am showing or hacking or what. I, Elislove, WEAR UNDERWEAR!!

1 members found this post helpful.

Any kind of jockbriefs under Stormgren maximal compression shorts. Eastbay sells Stormgren under their own brand.

Tried everything; that combination works the best.

No lines visible in full-seats that I've ever noticed -- maybe if I'd stared -- but even if there were, male or female, does anyone really care?
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

Underwear. No one cares about your panty lines.

1 members found this post helpful.