The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help for abscess headed for coronary band? [Update post 22 & of course more ??s]

I finally had my farrier stop by to look at my poor girl Macy who has been in terrible pain from an abscess for about a week. I had wrapped/poulticed her for 3 days but left her bare for the farrier to check out. I would not have been opposed to some conservative digging (if that's not an oxymoron!) and I'm sure Macy wouldn't have minded either.

Unfortunately, my farrier thinks it's headed out via the coronary band...

Due to my work schedule yesterday we communicated briefly via text -- she suggested soaking instead of wrapping, though she ended with "or do both" which I assume must mean alternately (don't think I can do both at once!). I don't have any soaking boot -- is that something that can be made from Things Around The Home, or do I need to go shopping tomorrow?

Any other suggestions for either hastening the breakthrough or relieving the pain? I am not using bute, based on reading that it will squelch the inflammation enough to stop its progess. Agree?

Lastly, I will check with my farrier today but am wondering at what point I have my vet check to make sure it actually IS an abscess. It is presenting like one in terms of pain and heat but I'd hate to be waiting for a burst abscess while she hobbles around with a broken sesamoid or something. It's hard to see her in so much pain...
    Last edited by JoZ; Jan. 31, 2012 at 12:34 PM.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

You can make a soaking bandage with a baby diaper and duct tape. Make a sole plate out of the duct tape and place it on the widest place of the diaper. Pour some epsom salt onto the side of the diaper that will be next to the sole. Now attach the diaper to the hoof and use more duct tape to secure it and cover the entire diaper. You can either dunk the hoof in a bucket of water or pour water on the hoof. Leave it on and you are creating the same effect of what happens when you have a band-aid on your skin and it gets wet- the area under the band-aid will get soft. A couple times each day get the bandage wet again. Depending on your horse you may have to replace the bandage daily or you might get a couple days use out of one.

As for the bute it goes both ways. Some say if you use a little it will encourage the horse to walk around better which could help the abscess burst. Your call.

If you need peace of mind you can always have your veterinarian shoot a radiograph to make sure your dealing with just an abscess. The time frame for one to burst varies so much. Do not start antibiotics until it burst. That for sure will squelch the abscess and it can reappear putting you back at square one.

Good luck.

Soak in a bucket then slather the coronet band liberally with ichthamol.

Alternative to soaking would be MagnaPaste or generic Epsom salt paste. It's "green" and usually sold at farm and feed stores.

3m Animalintex if you can find it local . . . or order it online, but I think your need is more urgent than waiting for something to be shipped.

Southern States usually carries Animalintex, at least in my experience.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I continue to have success with homeopathic HEPAR SULPH to bring an abscess to a head and then SILICEA to resolve it. Usually it breaks through in about 3 days and then 3 days to heal.
    --Gwen <><
    "Treat others as you want to be treated and be the change you want to see in the world."
    http://www.thepenzancehorse.com

Warm water and epsom salts in a spare bucket. Stand horse in bucket for 15-20 minutes. Don't rinse.

Then slather icthamol on coronary band.

JoZ is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

I have the animalintex pads (thanks to my awesome Secret Santa!) and that's what I was using on her sole.

If it is going to come out the coronary band, do I give up on poulticing the sole? Keep trying to get it to go soleward? Somehow use the animalintex pad on the coronary band?

I should be able to get ichthammol tonight or first thing tomorrow, and I'm sure there are Epsom salts somewhere in our barn... I'm planning that route, for now. Thanks!
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Soak in a bucket then slather the coronet band liberally with ichthamol.
    This.

I probably would continue to ichthamol/poultice the sole along with putting ample amounts around the coronet band.

Make sure the warm epsom salt water covers the coronary band when soaking.

Icthamol should also cover coronary band, into the hair, then you can put a diaper on the foot and duct tape.

Movement is good to help "move it along" if she is able to walk.

The last abscess my mare had, blew out thru the coronary band. YIKES was she in hobbling pain.
    Vet had me soaking three times a day in warm water with Epsom salts, and slathering her sole and coronary band area with icthamol...Aniamlintex pad in a medi-boot over nite. She did have me bute, so the mare would walk; and in the case of my uber sensitive mare, too much pain, and she will colic...so pain management was a must.

The hole that blew, blew my mind. I was used to abscesses but this one was u-u-ugly. As it grew down, she had a big hole, which started to split, so needed extra farrier intervention for the following months. That one nasty ugly abscess took about 9 months to finally be a thing of the past with all the corrective trimming and patching that was required.

Good luck!!!

My mare blew an abscess so big that it literally took off one of her heel bulbs. She was never off! It was so big we had to put a bar shoe on her to support everything as it grew out. This was a hind foot, totally blew my mind!

Quote Originally Posted by JoZ View Post
    If it is going to come out the coronary band, do I give up on poulticing the sole? Keep trying to get it to go soleward? Somehow use the animalintex pad on the coronary band?
    Why not try it with a wrap on the coronary band and on the sole at the same time? Whadya got to lose?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bloomer View Post
    Why not try it with a wrap on the coronary band and on the sole at the same time? Whadya got to lose?
    Yes!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    Yes!
    Wait a minute, those weren't yes or no questions. Are you wearing shoes or barefoot?

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

Wait a minute, those weren't yes or no questions. Are you wearing shoes or barefoot?
    Personally, I've got my bare feet stuffed into a pair of shoes.

it was just happiness, that I didnt have to type what you already had.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    it was just happiness, that I didnt have to type what you already had.
    At first I had this spooky feeling . . . like you were reciting Brad Pit's first words to Anthony Hopkins from the movie "Meet Joe Black."

I'd soak as often and as HOT as she can stand.......epsom in the water.....then wrap with magna paste
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Quote Originally Posted by JoZ View Post
    I finally had my farrier stop by to look at my poor girl Macy who has been in terrible pain from an abscess for about a week. I had wrapped/poulticed her for 3 days but left her bare for the farrier to check out. I would not have been opposed to some conservative digging (if that's not an oxymoron!) and I'm sure Macy wouldn't have minded either.

Unfortunately, my farrier thinks it's headed out via the coronary band...

Due to my work schedule yesterday we communicated briefly via text -- she suggested soaking instead of wrapping, though she ended with "or do both" which I assume must mean alternately (don't think I can do both at once!). I don't have any soaking boot -- is that something that can be made from Things Around The Home, or do I need to go shopping tomorrow?

Any other suggestions for either hastening the breakthrough or relieving the pain? I am not using bute, based on reading that it will squelch the inflammation enough to stop its progess. Agree?

Lastly, I will check with my farrier today but am wondering at what point I have my vet check to make sure it actually IS an abscess. It is presenting like one in terms of pain and heat but I'd hate to be waiting for a burst abscess while she hobbles around with a broken sesamoid or something. It's hard to see her in so much pain...
    Giving bute relieves the pain which in turn gets them moving which I would think increase blood flow and allow the abcess to work its way to the surface...........I know my vet prescribes bute for the pain and then says just leave it be.....each and every time I have done this the abcess has blown in 24 to 48 hours.....but in the mean time my horse is so much happier with bute on board.

Dalemma