The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default when do you increase feed?

My mare is at 240 days today- 8 months. I had planned on waiting until next month to start her on TC Growth. Right now she's on about 1- 1/2# of senior feed (per day), plus soaked beet pulp at night, which is basically what I give my adult horses in the winter. They get free choice, local high quality hay also. Seems like I should start her gradually on the TC Growth though right about now. She is just so huge though, don't want to start her too soon. She's always been an airfern! Opinions?

This is almost exactly what I feed my pregnant mare. She had been on the Growth because she had a foal last year and I just left her on it. But, she started turning her nose up at it and I tried her back on the Senior and she gobbled it up. The point of this story is that I contacted Triple Crown to see if there was any detriment to leaving her on the Senior and they said it was perfectly fine and there was no major difference in the 2 feeds.

In the 8th month I do add a cup of Triple Crown 30% twice a day. Gives more nutrients without upping the grain on my somewhat easy keeper mare. I do up her hay intake in the 8th month as well.

I've used Triple Crown feeds for 15 years! They are by far the best on the market. Since the TC Growth is alfala based and the TC Complete is beet pulp based I just add a scoop of alfalfa pellets to the Growth to increase the protein levels. Then I have the best of both worlds.

Unless you live in Kentucky, Ohio areas there is not enough copper in the grass. Be sure you have your mares on a good mineral supplement. Or the TC 30% supplement. Some of the latest research has shown lack of copper to be one of the major reasons foals, Warmbloods especially, develope OCD's.

Third trimester is when you begin to increase food. In the third trimester the foal is just growing like crazy so the mare gives a lot of what she takes in to her foal.

Maggie
    www.MarabetFarm.com
    Standing Balt'Amour, Bliss MF & Carry On MF

Sales, Stallion & Young Horse training, lessons
    Foaling, Collecting Stallions, ET, Custom Breeding

I start upping the feed in the last trimester so it is doubled by foaling time/the very end.The last trimester and nursing takes a lot out of them. We also used TC feed here. Harder keepers get supplemented with ricebran and all horses here get Source.

It's really "when do you increase nutrition" It may be very little actual feed, but it still has to be high enough in nutrition.

Quote Originally Posted by springer View Post
    My mare is at 240 days today- 8 months. I had planned on waiting until next month to start her on TC Growth. Right now she's on about 1- 1/2# of senior feed (per day), plus soaked beet pulp at night, which is basically what I give my adult horses in the winter.
    Unless she's very small, that's not enough nutrition, not for the past 3 months or so, which is when some copper increase is recommended (at 5 months)

1 1/2lb of Sr isn't even half the recommended amount, so she's short-changed all around.

Air ferns should go to ration balancers at the most. At this point she'd be on 2lb at least, possibly 3, I just don't recall offhand. But at least 2. I think she'd be up to 3 by 11 months, even 3.5 for the first month of lactation or so but I'd have to see a bag to double check myself.

hmmmm...

I wasn't planning on increasing anything!
    But I'm new to this so what do I know.

I do know that when I bought the mare from the breeder I asked him how many times a day he fed and he said "I've never heard of only feeding once a day!"

Never the less. She was on two scoops of strategy BID when I bought her.
    I swapped her to 2 scoops (about 10lbs) of TC Growth SID.
    She also gets Glanzen and Cool Calories.
    and my ponies eat quite a bit of alfalfa hay + free choice bermuda.

So that is it for me. She's fatter now than she was when I bought her (her hip has filled out--not going by her belly size. lol) and she is shiny and happy.

I've been thrilled to not need to increase her feed-thus allowing me to stay on my SID feeding program.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

As JB says, research has demonstrated that the quality of feed (vitamins and minerals) needs to be high from the 2nd trimester onwards.
    Quantity should increase gradually from 8 months through 11 months, and continue to increase during the 1st few weeks lactation. A lactating mare needs easily twice the calories and protein/calcium of an open or early-pregnant mare. Some need more.
    During early lactation I space feedings out over the day (sometimes 5 x per day), but I'm here full-time, so it is easy for me to feed frequently ...

Quantity doesn't necessarily need to be increased Quantity (calories) will depend on the individual, but nutritional requirements are nearly universal, appropriate for the size, of course

But yep, the total protein requirements DOUBLE when the foal starts nursing.

You're looking at 700-800gm to 1500-1600gm.

Getting nutrition high enough in an easy keeping mare can be pretty hard sometimes

What do you guys use for calcium when the foal starts nursing? Mama is 2 months out and Ive got her on 4lbs of Cavalor Senior, 4lbs of Ultra Dynamix (14%p 8%f pellet), 2lbs of Seminole Equalizer (a 32%p 5%f vit min supplement), and a probiotic supplement. She is 22yo 17.3h, oh and she gets orchard/alfalfa mix all day. Am I lacking anything? Can you do too much protein at this point? She isn't overweight

Quote Originally Posted by Pablitospebbles View Post
    What do you guys use for calcium when the foal starts nursing? Mama is 2 months out and Ive got her on 4lbs of Cavalor Senior, 4lbs of Ultra Dynamix (14%p 8%f pellet), 2lbs of Seminole Equalizer (a 32%p 5%f vit min supplement), and a probiotic supplement. She is 22yo 17.3h, oh and she gets orchard/alfalfa mix all day. Am I lacking anything? Can you do too much protein at this point? She isn't overweight
    Add Di-Calcium Phosphate just befor she foals and continue until weaning. Very important!!!
    Maggie
    www.MarabetFarm.com
    Standing Balt'Amour, Bliss MF & Carry On MF

Sales, Stallion & Young Horse training, lessons
    Foaling, Collecting Stallions, ET, Custom Breeding

Whether you even need to add calcium depends on what she's already eating.

At her size, you'll probably end up with 3.5-4lb of the Equalizer, which is quite a bit of calcium. But yes, dicalcium phosphate can be used, though it doesn't have to be continued for 5-6 months. If she's a harder keeper, you will undoubtedly be able to add as much calcium as you need with some alfalfa pellets.

On a feed for broodmares mine was on 6.1 pounds for her height on a larger horse the recommended was 8.8 pounds. The amount of hard feed didn't change after foaling but the quantity of alfalfa did jump quite alot.