The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Revere Saddlery

Does anyone have one or know anything about these saddles? Considering having them come out to the barn....

Not sure where you're located (guessing California) I've had Justin from Revere work on my old JRD. Justin is Merdads (sp?) son, from JRD saddlery, so he also works on JRD's. He did a beautiful job. My horse was only 2 the first time he fit her and I had to haul to the event he was at. He was incredibly patient with her spooking, etc. We just did a basic fitting. I wanted to make sure the saddle fit ok before starting her. He worked on it every 6 months and made changes/adjustments as she grew, etc. Always pleasant, good with my horse and the saddle fit her perfectly.
    Do not toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

It's just another JRD. They are "designed" by the same family and made in the same workshop by the same people. I wish I had done better research before I ordered a JRD, you can search for my custom saddle thread if you want. They are fine for some people IF they fit. The saddles are mid-quality and have little resale value.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Pony View Post
    It's just another JRD. They are "designed" by the same family and made in the same workshop by the same people. I wish I had done better research before I ordered a JRD, you can search for my custom saddle thread if you want. They are fine for some people IF they fit. The saddles are mid-quality and have little resale value.
    Oh, is *that* the one that was such a nightmare for you??? I saw the pix! I don't know much about JRD either, so maybe I should do a search for that....

ok, well to share a different POV, my WB mare will only work well in her JRD. Its the only saddle i have found (besides a little known french saddle) that she is comfy in.

The saddle i have, that i got well used from JRD, is very well made, tough leather, well stitched, flocked very correctly etc etc. (editing to add that the saddle i have was left out by its previous owner so the seat is faded... but it is the only JRD i have seen with a faded seat)

i personally would prefer to ride in a more flatter saddle, but since this is what works for mare (and i couldn't afford a new one) this is what i am sitting in currently.

he does have an astounding array of trees so that he can fit pretty much anything (and i have seen his saddle on (other) ponys and they fit well enough)

When i talked with him about Revere, he said that it is his son(s) and they used to work for him but went out on their own... the saddles are a step down in price point (or at least were at that time) but afaik, not made in the same shop where JRDs are hand made.

I think like wiht all things - some will love his stuff, some not.

But i dont think it is fair to judge Revere on JRD. They are not the same company.

Quote Originally Posted by Dune View Post
    Oh, is *that* the one that was such a nightmare for you??? I saw the pix! I don't know much about JRD either, so maybe I should do a search for that....
    Yes it was. When it happened I got so many PMs and also ran into several people personally that had very similar nightmares, some people never got their money back, or had to go to court. Luckily for me someone related to the company read my thread so he came to my barn and stormed off with the saddle and refunded my money. I felt terrible, but was really glad to have my money back!

There are a couple people with the Revere branded saddles at my barn, they are happy enough with them, although one gal just replaced hers with a Schleese.

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    But i dont think it is fair to judge Revere on JRD. They are not the same company.
    Sorry mbm, that is BS. I was in the shop several times surrounded by both JRD and Revere saddles. I saw people making them.

And fwiw, the OLD JRDs were much, much better than the new ones. And most of your post sounds like it's coming right out of his snake oil salesman mouth.

totally editing this post after reading your post in whole.

I am not buying into any snake oil salesmean talk. you trash his stuff every chance you get. so i think it is only fair, that i relay MY experience with JRD.

My mare LOVES that saddle. Me? i would prefer something more traditional, but i can ride in it. It is the ONLY saddle that has ever worked for her besides the french saddle that was totally not doable for me.

I know many folks who are very happy with his saddles, including your old trainer.

when i was at his shop a few years back (2?) they were not made there. I have no idea where they are made now.

<shrug>

eta: i think its rude that you are implying i am lying.... or spewing "BS" .... just because i have a different opinion that you.

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    I know many folks who are very happy with his saddles, including your old trainer.
    lol, you saw how long I stayed there! And funny enough she somehow ended up with a free saddle right after I ordered mine, hmmmm.....

I will give you the fact that about 10-20% of the people that have them like them, so maybe someone will? I also know that my experience is VERY common, so common that before I even named the saddle company people from across the country were PM'ing me asking if I was talking about JRD!

I keep my comments to my experience, I am not trash talking. If I wanted to really trash talk I have plenty of ammunition.

just to keep this all in perspective: in general people either like or dislike products, and most riders buy an sell saddles continually - liking and disliking saddles as they go.

the only way to know for sure if something will work for you is to try it yourself.

The internet is a great place to amplify opinions.... generally, i think the truth is somewhere in the middle.

I would be interested in hearing from folks who have ridden in Reverse also because they are a nice price point.... and it is always good to have options.

We had a few people buy Revere saddles in the barn I board at. They all seemed happy with the saddles and the fit although they did comment that the saddles aren't up to the quality of the Schleese saddles. One woman has 2 Schleeses and 1 Revere and said that the Schleeses are much better quality. This was about 2 years ago and they haven't had Revere back to do refittings.

I'd like to see a Reverse saddle!