The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Did anyone make a all night chat BB again. Ive been up for TWO nights now with a mare. *YAWN*
    www.spindletopfarm.net
    Home of Puerto D'Azur - 1998 NA 100 Day Test Champion
    "Charcter is much easier kept than recovered"

i am
    first foal 2/22, 4 more to go...
    [

First foal arrived 2/24. I missed it. She did it by herself, no problems. I am a failure at foal watch I guess. Another due end of March. Then last not due till July.

I am a failure at foal watch I guess
    http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/lol.gif
    www.spindletopfarm.net

I'm on foal watch. Mare was due 2/19. I think someone told her that I've got a big trip planned to go to NYC with the hubby for my 40th Bday next week. Thursday is the drop dead date - no foal, no trip. Everyone PLEASE keep their fingers crossed for a safe delivery tonight or tomorrow!
    Ronda
    www.risingstarfarm.net
    Standing Abrikos, Cartier R, Cielo B, Ciroc, Deja Blue, Diabolo d'Esquelmes, Esteban, Figaro B, Jus d'O, Kinnaras, Valentino Z

Become a fan on FB - Rising Star Farm

Ontario <Living life for the journey not the destination>

I am too. Mare is at about 333 days and I am using the chemtrics milk test this time. So far no blue. Although the orange mixture that is drawn up is now a rose pink. Getting somewhere, I guess. Not sure how much I can trust this test so I am up watching anyways. Any of you using it?
    http://www.blazingcoloursfarm.com

Join us on FACEBOOK
    Living life for the journey, not the destination.

First foal was born 2/03 - a colt. He was due 1/15 - next foal is due today another due 3/4 another due 3/16 and the last one due 3/28
    www.windyislesfarms.com

~*~
    Windy Isle Farms
    Peotone, Illinois
    Home of *The Quietman (Moy Hazy Cove x Blathin Chonamara by Cloonisle Cashel)
    Imported from Ireland 2005
    Approved Gr.1 stallion of the CPBS

Faith CremelloWB, I have used the Chemetrics milk test and it has been completely reliable every single time. However, you must do it every night since the mare can be at 50 and then jump up VERY quickly.
    Ronda
    www.risingstarfarm.net
    Standing Abrikos, Cartier R, Cielo B, Ciroc, Deja Blue, Diabolo d'Esquelmes, Esteban, Figaro B, Jus d'O, Kinnaras, Valentino Z

risingstar; that is great to hear. So since I have no blue yet then I can safely sleep tonight??? Still feel a little uncomfortable if I did not watch her. Just feels a little out of the norm to not watch the TV. Although if it works that well, this is something that I could certainly get use to http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/yes.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/yes.gif Since I have 12 mares still to foal this year.

Join us on FACEBOOK

Faith CremelloWB, if there is no blue, I'd probably sleep through the night.

I must qualify though - I've never used the test on a maiden so, I don't know how it works on those girls, but for any mare that had had at least one foal - the test was perfect.
    Ronda
    www.risingstarfarm.net

I am on foal watch with my trainers mare. I use the test strips with 4 squares - they have always been reliable up until now that is. She was at 4 squares last week, regressed to two squares for a couple days and now is back to 4 again. They are not sure of her breeding dates as she was a 'rescue' so as long as she is showing 4 squares I will be up watching her. My first one is due in about 3-4 weeks. Then it seems like 2 months of sleepless nights while I watch the next 3.
    Good luck to everyone on foal watch.
    Genevieve

Not to steal the thread, but do you think drugs like Regumate can skew the chemetrics test? I used it for the first time last year w/ my mare that had colic surgery when she was 310 days in foal. She was on Regumate, Pentoxifyline and a few others. I did the test on her 3x a day, and on day 321 a.m. did the test, no sign she was going to foal, felt good about going to work. Came home for lunch and much to my surprise there was a foal http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...s/icon_eek.gif, everything was ok (Sort of), but I was curious if the meds she was on had anything to do w/ it. PM me if you have any thoughts, don't want to steal the thread.

Edited to add my answer to the OP's original question, our first foal is due on Easter (April 16th) and the next not till June

Chemetrics tests calcium and magnesium levels in the milk. It's based on a water hardness test. I don't think that there are cross-reactions between the steroid hormones in regumate with the test - which specifically looks at mineral levels.
    Ronda
    www.risingstarfarm.net

I have used chemetrics on maidens and non-maidens...it worked every time so far and pinpointed it to the night!
    Whispered Wish Weser-Ems: Breeding quality German Riding Ponies!
    Standing the stallion Burberry
    www.germanridingpony.com
    www.facebook.com/HighlifesBurberry

hluing, great to hear others who have had good results with it. Gaining more confidents to sleep through the night this evening. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/yes.gif

Join us on FACEBOOK

Ronda, if needed, bring her to me and go on your trip without worry. I can handle it.
    LaNet
    www.spindletopfarm.net

Aw LaNet - thanks. But, this is the first Ironman foal of the year and I need to be there for Nancy and Emily (the foal's owner). I'm excited to see the foal myself.

Now that the weather is so beautiful here, I won't be too disappointed to stay home.
    Ronda
    www.risingstarfarm.net

Day 342 here... mare is looking all ready to go, just not dripping milk yet and she normally foals anywhere from day 340 - 350. So night 3 of little sleep about to start...
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

I SHOULD be on foal watch but this year, for the first time, I sent my mare away. Shes at day 322 today and has been showing some changes over the last week. We're probably looking at the next week or so for her. So I just have to wait for the phone call to get my butt there http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif This really spoils me. Not only am I getting sleep, but the time is going by much faster since I'm not checking on her a bazillion times a day, micro-analyzing EVERYTHING.

Good luck all....hope you can get some sleep and have healthy beautiful foals. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

Well tonight is going to be another long night for me.....
    *YYAAAAAAWWWWWWNNNNNNN*
    www.spindletopfarm.net