The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best Show Helmet?

I bought a Charles Owen Rider helmet- ugliest thing ever. What is the nicest looking ATSM/SEI show helmet that does not make you look like you have a Charlie Brown head?

I love my CO GR8, but I've also been pleased with my IRH SSV or whatever the initials are. That said, I'm not a dressage rider, but I don't think anyone likes to look like they're wearing a huge mushroom on their head
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

I'm on my second CO helmet; really none of the truly effective ones look good, so I suck it up and just cram the bugger on my head. CO fits me better than most of the others.

I figure everyone looks the same w/ their mushroom heads, its not a beauty contest, and when I watch a test, its the horse/rider connection that I watch, not the helmet.

Find what is comfortable. Some can wear the CO's, some the IRH, some the GPAs.

I have the CO AYR8 and absolutely love it! My head is a rounder shape and its the only helmet I have found the correctly fits my head. This one also seems to have a lower profile so your head doesn't look like a bowling ball. It is a little more expensive than some other CO but its worth it especially if you have a hard time finding one that fits correctly.

I don't know if Tipperary makes a "show" helmet, but the Tipperary Sportage I have for schooling is a very low-profile helmet. No mushroom-head effect with it at all. The absence of the mushroom-head is obvious, and if I put anything else on I notice.

ETA--Yes, Tipperary has the T2 and T4 show helmets. They were reviewed on COTH.
    Last edited by threemagicalmares; Jan. 26, 2012 at 07:58 PM.

I love my CO (most of the time), I would say, whatever you buy make sure you get a well vented model! I have the gr8 and my only complaint is the lack of vents.
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~

Default Samshield

it costs a fortune but feels and looks incredible!!

I have the co wellington and the co ayr8 for showing dressage. Both are in navy and match my coat.
    Last edited by FLeventer; Jan. 27, 2012 at 02:42 AM. Reason: brain dead
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

I just bought a beautiful midnight blue velvet Charles Owens (to match navy shadbelly). I love it because you don't see many velvet helmets in blue and it had a really nice shine to it.

It is also a more traditional shape so no "Charlie Brown" head.

Quote Originally Posted by mjhco View Post
    Find what is comfortable. Some can wear the CO's, some the IRH, some the GPAs.
    Agreed.

That being said, Charles Owens were made for my head. I have a Charles Owen Show Jumper helmet for showing. I like the Hampton too, but got a great deal on the Show Jumper.

Ha, I show in a Troxel, but I do have a big head
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy & Cadet
    member CDCTA www.cdcta.com, TROT www.trot-md.org & Free State Appaloosa Horse Club freestateaphc.org

I think I need to wait until I am at a decent tack shop that stocks different helmets and try some on. I am returning the one I bought, it fit like a shallow bowl on your head. Head shapes, etc can really affect how they look once they are on.