The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle color for a appy?

Ok so, I've already posted a thread on saddle color, but since, I've gotten another horse(yay)! He is a medium to dark brown with over 100 spots through out his coat. Im probally getting him a new saddle and bridle soon, and the one I'm interested in is in both black and brown.... Which color should I get? P.s I'll try to upload some saddle and pony pictures later

I don't know what the color of the horse has to do with anything. Dark brown is always correct in H/J/Eq, and is most common in hunters and equitation, you see black in jumpers sometimes. A judge should not penalize if you ride in black tack if that's what you prefer, its just not as common as it is in Dressage. Personally I think black tack is ugly.

If you intend to compete in the hunters or equitation (or jumpers, honestly), you should get brown.

You're posting on the wrong forum if you wanted to hear any answer other than "brown."

As a rule of thumb, when I show my appie, I keep his tack and my clothes very simple because he is loud enough already! For you, get a nice deep brown without too much red in it.
    friend of bar.ka

Black tack for dressage. Best shade of brown for your horse for everything else.

Personally, one reason I never got into dressage is that I also find black tack ugly. But whatever floats your boat.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Brown brown brown brown brown.

My old appy went in brown everything, although he had very unusual coloring.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by AmmyByNature View Post
    You're posting on the wrong forum if you wanted to hear any answer other than "brown."

Yepper!

Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryswyn View Post
    Personally, one reason I never got into dressage is that I also find black tack ugly. But whatever floats your boat.
    I concentrated on dressage in the mid to late 70s, and we all rode in brown tack (and flat dressage saddles, no knee rolls at all!) Just goes to show how much things have changed. I had a brown Stubben Tristan dressage saddle that was like a pancake.

Quote Originally Posted by AmmyByNature View Post

Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Thanks!

Brown.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks again! Your appy looks very much like mine, and looks delightful in brown

Thanks, HorseLover3. I never was a fan of Aps until I got this guy. He has been a wonderful horse for me. I know he looks all Ap, but he's also half Trakehner.

I'm finding that all the stuff that I rode in regularly years ago looked awesome on the appy I was riding.... And looks completely 'off' with the medium/bright bay I ride now. My favorite full seat breeches- a tannish brown plaid look so good with the brown appy, but clash with the reddish horse. Sigh.

The saddle I just sold to the new owners of that appy happens to look awesome on her. It's a dark, dark brown with the tiniest contrast piping along the saddle seat in an orange tan shade. I wish I had a picture!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)